Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 137 reviews
on April 3, 2013
There really aren't a lot of books that should be on everyone's "must read" list when you consider how varied our interests are. Sure, if you like biographies you simply can't miss Carl Van Doren's 1938 Pulitzer winner on Benjamin Franklin. If great literature is your thing, Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird ranks right up there, and if your desire is to learn how to budget your money, George Classen's The Richest Man In Babylon tops the list, but even these great books would not fit on everyone's "must read" list. Great literature may bore you to death and you may have no desire whatsoever to save money. Of the few books that do belong on everyone's list, the Bible comes to mind. Whether you are a believer in Christ or not, the Bible is simply full of great words to live by. And if you are a citizen of this universe, and I believe most people reading this are, you should add The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. It's just one of those rare books that would benefit everyone is some way.

FRED 2.0: New Ideas on How to Keep Delivering Extraordinary Results, is a continuation of The Fred Factor. Here Sanborn expands on Fred-ness and as the subtitle suggests - presents fresh ideas to continue on your Fred journey. The story of Fred Shea the postman has become a staple in business, but being a Fred isn't about just business, it's about everything we do in our lives to help others and this book is chalk full of examples, anecdotes and ideas on how to increase your Fred-ness.

There were many pearls of wisdom I found and I just want to touch on a few. The first one was about employees found in the opening pages when Sanborn writes, "Employees who offer nothing different from other employees are interchangeable." The same philosophy applies to business. If there is nothing unique or extraordinary about your business, you may have loyal customers but they won't be advocates for your business.

Next I found this, "A commitment without a goal is like a trip without a road map; odds are you won't get to where you want to be." How true is this? People often confuse the two and because they feel a strong commitment, they fail to clearly define goals. Then on page 63 I found this gem, "What kind of difference did you make today?" I've made this my new email tagline. If we consistently keep that question in mind, we can't help but make a huge impact on others.

I found this keepsake rule of customer service, "a problem is an opportunity to increase loyalty". We tend to view customer issues as something we have to deal with instead of viewing it an opportunity to build a better relationship with that customer. It's all in how you approach it. This was part of an entire chapter of gems on improving customer service and I'm only scratching the surface here. There's even a chapter of "Freducation" that discusses promoting Fred-ness in schools and other areas of child rearing.

If I have any knock at all on this book it is that you should read The Fred Factor first, but I don't see that as a knock at all. If you haven't read The Fred Factor by now, what are you waiting on? Reading it first will just give the reader a better overall understanding of Fred-ness. In the first book, Sanborn does, I think, a better job of explaining what being a Fred is all about. Don't worry though, I'm sure some marketing genius is already presenting the idea of packaging the two books together.
on April 30, 2013
I ordered Fred 2.0 after reading a review on Michael Hyatt's excellent blog. I started into it, but found that I wanted to read The Fred Factor first.

I loved The Fred Factor, but found Fred 2.0 packed with even more examples of individuals going the extra mile to exceed their customers' needs. Mark Sanborn has hit on something that would turn many failing organizations into great places to work and do business.

Greg Atchison, Ph.D., ACC
President, Aspyre Coaching
on October 30, 2014
If you need to pick up your flagging enthusiasm for excellence, this book will remind you why and how to do just that. This isn't just the usual customer service boilerplate either. This is good stuff. I highly recommend and read it often, even after decades of customer service work under my belt.
on October 9, 2014
I bought this book because that is my husband's name. We have owned our own businesses, so I was constantly seeing things that we tried to teach our employees. The simplistic presentation of how to be helful to those about us was encouraging and motivating. Often while reading this book, I would be substituting the name of a friend, employee, peer, or relative that fit that part of the story. Enjoyed very much and am recommending it to friends and relatives. "Fred" could be a Christian, but not necessarily so. But every Christian should be a "Fred" every day.
on March 8, 2015
Fred 2.0 was just as inspiring and educational as The Fred Factor. My team is reading TFF right now and we will order 2.0 next. Our organization provides services to the other organizations in our company and we recognize Service Culture leaders. The principles in both books will help us to teach our teams the true intent of serving others in the best way possible. Thanks!
on October 9, 2014
Fred 2.0 New Ideas on How to Keep Delivering Extraordinary Results is a book that will inspire you to become a "Fred" in your place of business, your family and your neighborhood. Regardless of what type of work you do, or what your job description says, this book demonstrates you can provide greater service, build better relationships, and create more value in your world. You are prompted to go out of you way to help others and to give kindness to those who most need it. Many of the chapters outline just how to do this.
on March 6, 2013
LOVE this book! Mark has done it again with this uplifting thought provoking book that the entire world should read. The world would be a better place if we had more Fred's! You don't have to have read the Fred Factor before you read Fred 2.0 but of course I would recommend it because both books are well worth it. I have bought this book for family and for co-workers and each time they thank me. Give it a try it won't disappoint! This book will change the way you look at every interaction and the difference you can make.
on December 2, 2014
A very good reminder of what is really important...in do a job and in life itself......we get too "wrapped around the axle" about monies and "high tech" toys.....that we faild to realize .......customer caring and service excellence is the key. "YOU MUST BE HAPPY AND WILLING TO DO A GREAT JOB."
on September 7, 2014
A nice review of the benefits of being nice. Written from an extroverts perspective so examples are not as universal as I think they could/should be. Worth reading as long as keep that realization in kind. In conversation with others it would pay to listen to how benefits would be demonstrated if someone is an introvert.
on May 13, 2013
I was introduced to Fred 1.0 at a leadership conference through my work. I really like the book and have used the concept many times, Fred 2.0 is even better. It has helped in my work and home life and I highly recommend it.