Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 20, 2010
I have been getting this blog daily for a couple months now and look forward to reading it every day. Lots of different categories, although they seem to come in waves (probably how Amazon makes free books avaiable), so lots of free faith based books, then lots of free business, then romance. The one tip that he gives you that you REALLY need to listen to - if you want a book that is free download it immediately! Well worth the small monthly cost, actually...it's worth much more than that for all the money I save each month!

I like that he includes the description from Amazon along with the number of reviews (and rating). It seems like some authors (or Amazon) list some of the books for free to generate a lot of downloads and then start charging (I am guessing so that the book will appear at the top of the paid download lists??), I love catching a good read while it's free and he does a good job of pointing those out!

I also enjoy the tips.
195 helpful votes
196 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on August 4, 2013
I purchased my first Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (old version) back in May 2012 after breaking my ankle and being out of work for 6 months. I was excited to be introduced to the eBook world, then I found the Free Kindle Books blog. This blog has truly been a gem for me! Before Amazon placed a mandate on the free/discounted books, I believe I downloaded well over 200 free books! And, of those free books that I actually read, I would say well over 50% were very enjoyable, a handful unforgettable. The best seller books, and well-known authors aren't always worth the money, in my opinion. I now have a variety of books because of this blog. It is also nice to support independent authors, which appears to be a growing trend. Some reviews have mentioned they are unable to launch the links to view books and offerings. Since I have an Ink Display Kindle, I find it is easier to go to my laptop and just type in the URL in a browser window to view, if necessary. Also, if I'm viewing the blog and see a book that catches my eye, instead of clicking on the link for it, I will recall the title and/or author name to memory and do a search for the book in my Kindle. This gives me the opportunity to see the cost, if it can be borrowed, and most importantly, to review the customer reviews. I tend to read the majority of customer reviews per book PRIOR to purchasing/downloading it. This gives me a flavor for the book and a variety of perspectives from many customers. In addition, some of these customer reviews are so well written, that it not only gives great insight to the book, but some reviews also give recommendations to other authors and titles. Because of this, I have been introduced to other genres that I would have never considered before (i.e. urban fantasy/paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, mystery/thriller). I am an avid historical fiction reader, so imagine my delight to find other books in other genres that have left a HUGE impression on me after completing them. I noticed some reviews have mentioned that this blog has a Christian slant. I think Michael Gallagher has done an EXCELLENT job of trying to balance the various types of genres on a daily basis. THANK YOU Michael for your daily efforts and contributions. I really appreciate all that you do!
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on June 30, 2010
Because of this blog I have not only found free books to read, but I have also gotten wonderful hints on the use of my Kindle. The author also explained why I was not getting downloads of my blogs daily. Because of this one hint I now know that if I restart my Kindle I will get anything that I subscribe to that has not given me a download lately. It is an easy process and was explained for free in this blog. Because of this I went ahead and got the kindle book written by Michael Gallagher that explains how to do some of these things that make the Kindle even better to own. When I turn my Kindle on in the morning, the first thing I read is this blog. It has been worth what little I pay for it.
56 helpful votes
57 helpful votes
on February 28, 2010
This guy is pretty reliable - I'd say on average there are about 50-60 free book recommendations each month, with a large variety of topics such as sci fi, mystery, romance, even the strange and unusual. I don't download all of them, as I don't think I have that much time to read.

One thing that seems to differntiate this blog from the others on here touting free books is the blog author is not dependent upon Amazon-only titles. Sure, he will tell you most of the free titles offered here on Amazon as that is easay for you and me to download, but he also tells you of other interesting independent author titles from non-Amazon sites with something unique: he includes instructions on how to get those non-Amazon titles to your Kindle.

There's usually a tip or two each week: some I have seen before and some are brand new to me such as I never thought to put my phone number as part of my Kindle ID in case I lost it during my latest trip to the airport.

99 cents for this blog is money well spent!
474 helpful votes
475 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on December 3, 2010
This is probably one of a VERY select few blogs that I will gladly pay for. I've previewed about a dozen blogs, reading each for a week and a half before canceling to make so I give each a good chance. Almost all of them have proved to be not worth even .99 a month. This blog, however, is the first thing I read when I start up my Kindle. In the two weeks since I subscribed, I've discovered about 30 free books (some were pre-orders) via this blog and I've also discovered how to get several hundred other books delivered wirelessly to my Kindle for free from a source outside of Amazon.com in genre's that I'm interested in. (I didn't even realize this was possible until I read this blog.) Not all of these books he posts are ones that I will read, but quiet a few of them are. If you subscribe to one blog, make it this one! Thank you so much, Michael!

Edit: In subscribing to a few other blogs that include info on free books, I've noticed that they sometimes post the same books Michael lists, but their updates are usually one to two days behind his.I have strong suspicions that those blogs are finding their information from Michael's blog. That should tell you something. As some books are only free for less than a day, you would miss out on those free books if you were relying on another blog for your free book info.
40 helpful votes
41 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on September 18, 2011
Since there are lists of free books on the amazon website, I thought this would not really be worth it. However, I have tried it for about a week so far, and I would say that it is worth the 99 cents per month. For one thing, this blog includes books available free not only from amazon, but also from other websites, and I can't imagine how I would have found out about those (or have known the appropriate codes to plug in). For another thing, there are limited-time Kindle deals that don't necessarily show up in the "top 100 free books." I also appreciated the information about how to transfer free books to my Kindle from other sites (and what format to use). My only complaint is that you can't click on the links and have them take you to where you need to go to get the books (I have a Kindle 2), so I do have to go to amazon on my laptop and type in the information.
on September 20, 2012
I have to admit when I was first deciding to sign up for this blog, I wasn't sure if I would ever find any books to download, that were very good. (After all what do you usually get for nothing?) I was also a bit undecided because of the negative reviews albeit the few that there were, that said there was nothing but religious novels and other subjects that I'm not the least bit interested in. However I've had this blog for two weeks and instead of cancelling after my free trial period was over, which is what I thought I was going to do, I'm loving it! So to save those of you who may be letting the one star reviews daunt you, some time, I will let you know that there have hardly been any religious titles on offer here. In fact there is something for everyone, and I've been downloading as many as three or four titles almost every day. The titles to choose from include historical fiction (my fave), contemporary fiction, nonfiction from every area you can think of, science fiction, thrillers, and even biographies. Even more exciting is, these books are not just throwaways that no one would pay money for like I thought. They are well written, highly acclaimed, books that have all recieved an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars, based on many reviews. Also they are not always free. They are only free at the discretion of Amazon, for a few days at a time, then they go back to their original price of betweeen 10 and 12 dollars. So that is the beauty of this blog. Michael finds the books that are briefly being offered for free, and lets the subscribers know so they can download them right away. If you are like me, every day you will find many books to download, and that is well worth the .99 cent monthly subscription price. And by the way, they must have fixed the bug that caused the links to not work, because they are working fine. You can download these books right from your regular Kindle without having to plug into a computer.
on June 25, 2012
I have used this app for about 2 months now and I am so glad I have it. Mike gives excellent tips for e-reader use as well as a nice selection of what he thinks is probably a pretty good bet to read in the free/discounted e-book/app categories. He doesn't throw words at his reader, but makes the reader feel he is talking to them instead. I check this app out a couple of times a day and it is a rare day that I don't come up with something that might be interesting to download. If I find that I don't particuarly care for the book, I have no money invested in it so there is no qualms about deleting it from my Kindle (which has only happened once). Spending $1.00 for this app is a dollar well invested. It has already saved me a lot of time and money, and I have a lot of interesting books to read in the genres I like best.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on December 18, 2011
Michael Gallagher is providing an extremely valuable service with his blogs, which anyone can get free on their computers, or most devices that have internet access & a browser or RSS reader.

And for less than buck, you can get it every month on your Kindle eInk reader (not yet on Fire, but there is a workaround using the Pulse app, which Michael gives in his latest blog pulse. And it's not his fault: take it up with Amazon. He wants it available on the Kindle, because, while not a lot of money, he gets paid when people subscribe through the Kindle Store.

You get a 14 day free trial to see if it is worth 99 cents a month to have this blog on your Kindle.

It sure is worth it to me, since if there's a book he has up for free, I can just click on his link and get it right to my Kindle in seconds, all FROM the Kindle (and since I have the Touch 3G, saves me steps and allows me to do this most anywhere).

And he gives some tips that are helpful.

Sure, all of this stuff you could do yourself. But it would take hours! He does this (it feels like a labor of love to me. He clearly loves the platform and finding these great deals and helping people use their Kindles).

But even if I did not feel it was worth it the extra convenience of having it on my Kindle as a one of my items, I would still be happy to pay the 99 cents. His blog is great and I feel good about supporting it. Same goes for his books.

Try it out yourself, and see if you don't agree.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 18, 2011
I subscribed to this blog when I first got my Kindle. I planned to use it only briefly. but every time I think I will quit, the blogger posts a great book or a great tip, and I stick with it. As some people say, there are sometimes a lot of religious books (not my thing) but I find plenty of other genre to choose from in his posts. It seems to go in streaks. It is true that there are a lot of poorly written free books, but there is a lot of junk for $10 and more. Classics are easy to find, and I do, but through this blog I have found dozens of really good authors who I never would have discovered. Plus there are many tips for getting the most out of my Kindle. I could probably dig all this up myself, but I would rather read, garden, travel, or a million other things and let Michael G. do the Kindle legwork (or clicking. He posts every day (sometimes more than once) and is always ready to help with great tips.