Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 17, 2012
Hello, I had the same problem with this webcam, I called Panasonic Technical Support, and they told me to download a firmware update in my computer, connect the FreeTalk Conference HD Camera USB cable to my computer, and run such update.
I connected the Freetalk camera to my Blu Ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT310), and it is working perfectly. I made video call on Skype, the video as well as the audio are great.

For whoever wants to give it a try, here is the webpage:

On the right bottom you will see the download option, click on it and download the [Update your firmware(Size: 480 KB)] to your computer, connect the camera through the USB cable to your computer and run it, it will update your lates and the firmware your camera needs to run on you Blu Ray Player.

It is very likely that, while downloading the file, a Microsoft Firewall will tell you that this file has no certification and can be harmful to your computer, I downloaded it anyway and it upgraded the software in the camera as the Panasonic Technical Support representative told me. It is entirely up to you to do it, the thing I can tell you is that it does the job and I have the web camera working properly.

Enjoy your camera!

Have an awesome day,

Hi again, I received an email from Technical Support, here is what you need to do:

Thank you for contacting us. Please follow these steps to enjoy your TALK-7181 and TALK-7182 FREETALK Conference HD camera. Please ensure to update your camera to the latest Firmware Version 2703 so that you may enjoy video calls.

Step 1

Use a Windows XP or Windows 7 PC.

Step 2

Copy and paste this URL in your browser

Step 3

Save the zip file onto your desktop and unpack, you will see a file called <FREETALK Conference Firmware Update_20110214.exe> which is the update program.

Step 4

Plug the Camera into the Windows PC's using any available USB port

Step 5

Click to open the exe File you saved to your desktop.
A pop-up/ dialog box will open on your screen "Freetalk Conference Firmware Update" - ensure that your pop-up blocker is off

Step 6

Click "Update Firmware" button
(When the Firmware update is successful, the text "Reload Complete" will appear in the white box at the bottom of the dialog box. The firmware update process is now complete)

Step 7

The camera is now ready to use. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you need further help.
1414 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2014
I really hesitated to buy this, seeing how much negative reviews this item received. I have a 55" Panasonic UT-50 TV that was purchased in 2012. My choices for an internet web cam were very limited, the two lowest priced models were this one and the Panasonic branded model (I believe it was the model TY-CC20W). Both units got spotty reviews, which is somewhat surprising since you'd think getting a TV webcam to connect and work properly would be a given in this day and age. I was originally planning to go with the Panasonic model, just because of the brand name, but what held me back was the higher cost of the Panasonic. When Panasonic announced they were discontinuing all plasma TV's by the end of 2013 (Big Sigh), I noticed the price of the Free Talk model had plummeted. Given the price drop, I decided to take a chance and purchase it.

First thing to note: there was minimal instructions provided with the Free Talk webcam. In fact the lack of proper documentation and instructions was really surprising and disconcerting. However, I just followed the instructions and plugged it into the USB slot on the TV and activated the built in Skype video application. The walk-thru was simple and fast. Before I knew it I had a working internet TV camera!

Note that although its supposedly an "HD" webcam, the picture is really no different than what you'd expect to see on any generic webcam - so don't think you're going to get crystal clear images (I have a high speed internet connection by the way). Audio pick up is a little weak, you have to speak pretty loud to be heard (there may be an settings adjustment for this, I haven't checked it out fully). One big negative is how this unit mounts to the top of the TV; basically its just hangs over the top of the set. They really got lazy when they designed this part! As I mentioned the documentation is virtually non-existent. If you have problems with this unit I doubt you'll get much help from the manufacturer.

Finally, the only reason I believe the price was so cheap is that the company is dumping whatever remaining stock it has for this TV, as Panasonic is pretty much out of the consumer TV business for now. So do your research, if you have a 2012-2013 Panasonic TV with the Skype video app installed, this might be the one for you!
on January 26, 2012
I bought a DMP-BDT215 blu-ray player because it was guaranteed skype compatible (with the panasonic camera). The panasonic camera is no longer available, but panasonic told me to get the Freetalk 7181 because it's the same camera and guaranteed to work. I bought it, but it does not work. Panasonic 'tech support' said "It's a known issue" and told me to call back to get my case escalated. I called back, twice, and got hung up on once and just randomly sent to some voicemail (message was "I'm not home, so please leave a message"?????). Panasonic website still advertises these players are skype certified, when in fact they are not. I have ascertained that prior to a firmware upgrade these players did work with this camera, but since the upgrade they do not. When is panasonic and freetalk going to stop this false advertising and actually support their products?

Panasonic online tech support chat says "It's a known issue" and urged me to call back to get case escalated.

Panasonic telephone tech support (finally) said they will escalate but the reason it doesn't work is the camera is a "bad batch". Really?

freetalk 'support' says they only want me to reply to tell them the camera works. It does not work. So, does this mean I should just go away now or what?

So, how do I get skype on my tv?
on May 14, 2014
The camera looks great, but that all what you will find nice with this device. This is a camera you'll use with a nice and big flat screen TV, so this is a camera you'll use from a distance of 3 to 5 meters. From that distance the camera will take the whole room you are in and your image will be reduced to a tenth of the screen. So your loved ones will see how lovely are the walls of the room where you are, but difficulty they will distinguish you from your furniture. There's no way of any zoom control. Also this device produce eco. In short words, don't buy it.
on May 23, 2014
I bought the camera to use with my Sharp Aquos TV. It has Skype built in. I tried using my Logitec camera, but the TV did not recognize it. Turns out, the TV does not recognize any USB camera. I think it's a problem with the TV itself. I called Sharp, but they do not support anything related to Skype. Their answer was plug in the camera into the USB and that's all you need to do. No way to troubleshoot malfunctions. So, that's a Sharp TV issue, not this camera's issue.

I plugged the camera into my PC and my laptop. It works just fine in both. Good quality picture and they other party on Skype can hear me without issues.

My only gripe with this is the stand. It is designed to adjust to any TV, but it's a little too soft. It's a bit difficult to rearrange it so that it faces exactly where you want it, but once you get it pointed in the right direction, if you are not moving the laptop, it stays.
on May 15, 2012
I bought the Talk 7181 to connect to my Panasonic blue ray player dmp-bdt215p (Costco). I bought it from Amazon to ensure i could return it if it did not work. Before connecting the camera i made sure the blue ray player had the latest firmware. Then following instructions from freetalk web age i downloaded the latest camera firmware to my pc. Opening the camera donwloaded file i displayed that the camera had already the latest firmware (2703) so no need to upgrade the camera firmware. Connected camera to blue ray player and succesfully installed camera and then setup skype. It works ! Time to connect to skype, Video and sound are very acceptable but it could be a bit better (thus 4 stars). Player will ring on incoming call or light blink if someone left a message. Overall i am satisfied and ready to skype with my family on the main tv of the house the next time i will travel.
on February 24, 2014
I see so many reviews claiming that this camera doesn't work with Panasonic devices. Fortunately, this isn't true though. I use it with a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Player and it works fine.

Two important points:
1. Update the _camera_ firmware as suggested in a very useful review around here.
2. You'll see more problems with Skype than on a Mac for example. It disconnects a bit more often and you'll experience random mutes if you talk at the same time as the other party. I still consider this a good deal and I can chat with my family sitting on the couch very comfortably.
on August 10, 2012
Purchased a used "open box" "like new" camera at a pretty good discount.
Got it to work with latest camera 7182 firmware downloaded from the from FreeTalk website.
- In Win7, connected the 7181 camera to a USB port (it was recognized) and ran the 7182 firmware updated program, "update_your_firmware.exe". Yes, it appears that the 7182 firmware program can update the older 7181 camera.
- Then connected the camera to Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu Ray player running the latest panasonic updates as of August 2012.
- I also purchased a 6 foot USB male to female extension cable, as the camera cable is only about 4-5 feet long, but for my situation I needed a longer cable.

Works fine for what I paid!
- not sure if auto focus works... still experimenting...
- also seems to ok work with ambient light... a little dark but it works!
- the microphone picks up sound very well from 10 feet back.

Over all I am very happy.
on October 2, 2013
The first Freetalk camera I received was returned as defective. The set up of the camera went great then would not work (part operator error). The second camera acted the same way so I decided to check the net to see what other people found with this camera. Low and behold the cameras are shipped with down level firmware. I downloaded the new firmware, installed it and now couldn't be happier with the camera. If you buy this camera plan on updating the firmware before going through the frustrating experience of installing a down level piece of gear.
on March 30, 2015
Worked right out of the box (update of firmware was already done) and the picture is great.
Only issue I have is that I can't seem to zoom in so the person looking at me gets to see my entire lounge room.
I have a Panasonic ST50 and the application used for Skype has controls for zoom, pan, etc but they don't appear to do anything.
For the $35 I paid, worth it - if I paid more I would be returning it for the zoom in/out reason.