Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 23, 2013
I got this unit directly from freedom pop in Jan 2013 for use when I travel. I subscribed to the 2Mb per month for $17.99. Upon receiving the device I connected my device to it and went to two webpages to test connectivity. It then went on the shelf.

About 2 weeks later, I took it out of town with me and used it while eating lunch to view a few webpages for research. No video, or audio, just plain webpages. I put it in my glovebox in my vehicle and there it stayed.

In March I noticed two charges from freedompop. One for $17.99 and on for $370. Yes, $370. I immediately called freedom pop and told them about the charge. They claimed I had used 37Gb (gigs) of data in 2 days. I asked for the dates of the usage and they were for just 3 days prior. I explained that I had not used it in over 2 weeks and the accused me of not password protecting it and leaving my network open. Fact is, the device was protected both with a login password as well as a separate wifi password of my choice. Also, the device was still in my glove box and the battery was dead. They then claimed that my MAC address may have been "spoofed", but had no explanation as to how that could have happened.

I asked for a credit of the $370 and they REFUSED!

If you use this service, BEWARE! They can say you used data that you didn't and there is no way for you to prove otherwise. They have your payment info on file and they will, WITHOUT WARNING, charge you extraordinary high amounts.
1,925 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 5, 2013
I'm a computer programmer and this device seemed awfully tempting at the free 500MB/month level, so I decided to give it a shot.

Amazon shipped me the device quickly.

I went to freedompop.com to activate my device and I couldn't do it due to repeated server errors. First an HTTP Status 500, then, after switching to IE from Firefox, the website seemed to be working until it was time to "process my payment" even though there was nothing due, then I got an HTTP Status 405 error. They also REQUIRE you to entire a credit card number, even if you choose all the free options.

I don't have time to deal with this so it's going back. Furthermore, the parts I did get through seemed a bit slimy as they tried to 'trick' me into getting me on a monthly plan. I also don't like it that they purposely make it very difficult for you to cancel their service.

As an example of their slimy tactics, there is a screen with a large green "Continue" button that will sign you up for a monthly plan if you click it (with only the first month free). The other option is to click the much smaller "I don't want free stuff" text link. Funny thing is though, it WILL COST YOU if you DON'T click the "I don't want free stuff" text. So, if you DO like free stuff, then you better tell them that you DON'T like it or you will be signed up for a monthly plan of questionable value (after the first free month).

If you do manage to make it through the website errors and get your device activated, then I would highly recommend using a prepaid credit card or virtual credit card so you don't have to go through the trouble of dealing with their website issues and cancelling shenanigans. Also, be VERY careful not to get "tricked" into signing up for something that you really don't want.

Now I understand that businesses have to make money, but this is not the way to go about it. Businesses should give real value to their customers without making it difficult or frustrating, and they should instill customer trust by not trying to take advantage of (or trick) the people they are suppose to be serving. FreedomPop fails at this.

Bottom line was that it was a waste of time. I couldn't even get the device activated and I refuse to spend hours trying to do so dealing with their broken website, and their sales tactics don't inspire much confidence.
70 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 1, 2014
It needs a USA credit card for activation. If you buy it on Amazon, Freedom Spot will not activate it "because you did not purchase it from us". If you have a credit card from outside USA don't even try. You can purchase it, but you need a US credit card to activate it.
17 people found this helpful
on October 28, 2014
Warning this device works only on wi-max. If your location does not have wi-max you will not have internet connection.
12 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 14, 2014
Works as advertised in Sprint coverage areas that has a "very good" signal strength. If your regular Sprint cell phone is just getting a weak but working signal, then FreedomPop is not likely to get any signal at all. Its antenna/receiver seems to be much weaker than a regular cell phone.
6 people found this helpful
on March 25, 2014
Free internet my rectum. You get a trial for a free month of 2gb of internet. Nothing more. It's the same price of internet anywhere else after that except here you only get 2gb of data.
11 people found this helpful
on March 20, 2013
its really awesome that you can get a 4g plan for FREE every month. I use a sprint 4G card in my laptop but cant share it with my occasional iPad use. This fills that gap perfectly. Thanks for the uber fast shipping amazon (as usual)
3 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2014
I did check their coverage map before I bought the Freedom Pop. However, it wouldn't connect anywhere near my house. Returned.
2 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2014
the signal freedompop offers must be very weak, as I never get a signal once I'm a few feet away from a window. I hope they change their transmitter strength. Very disappointing. I only use it when my phone is dead and I want to use my wifi only device somewhere where they don't offer free wifi. I use the rollover plan, because I might as well stockpile some GB's, since they're free. (I downgraded to the free plan as soon as I realized my clever plan of using my iPod Touch as a phone and canceling my iPhone plan was not going to work. Instead, I went to MetroPCS with my iPhone. Not free, but only $40 flat fee a month. I still have hopes for my totally free plan someday.)
3 people found this helpful
on June 30, 2013
I purchased my freedompop (FP) gateway directly from the company 3 months ago, I thought it was a great price for the service considering I was paying 3x more at ATT.

FPservice is not the best but I like it because of the price, I constantly get 3 bars on my gateway which is great for browsing. If I choose to go online and look at a video and use my voip phone, the quality of the voice is very poor which is directly related to bandwidth contention.

I am allocated 10GB per month, and initially I would leave my computer on and I noticed large chunks of data usage at odd hours in the morning, upon inquiry I was told by FP it was due to the computer being on probably applications are polling etc.

The following month I turn the network connectivity on my computers when I don't use the internet. However upon close examination of my bandwidth usage I noticed I was billed for data usage during hours when I was sleeping or out of the house. FP supports says their billing is accurate, no further explanation was given. I installed a few apps on my laptop to monitor the bandwidth usage and I notice a discrepancy which amounts to over 1GB I send it to FP support, I am still awaiting their response 4wks later.

On a side note, FP CEO was quoted in the news saying that they make most of their fees on additional charges, from my personal experience I don't believe they are trustworthy with their billing as I have lots of unanswered questions.

Regards