Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 312 reviews
on June 15, 2013
When I ordered this book, I somehow failed to realize that this listing is for an oversized version. I was surprised when an enormous box was delivered to our house. Seriously, this book is HUGE. It's maybe around 1 foot tall x 2 feet wide. It's unwieldy and hard to read, particularly since it's softcover, so the whole thing is just really floppy.

But that was my mistake in ordering, so I'm not factoring the ridiculous size into my star rating.

Overall, this is a great book. The illustrations and text are very simple and there's something about the artwork that is unique and pleasing. It simply shows the different types of cars on a freight train, and how the train covers lots of ground on it's journey. It goes through tunnels, over bridges, through mountains, and travels night and day.

This book is tons of fun for kids, but not super-fun for adults. It's a bit boring to read, in my opinion.

RECOMMENDED AGE RANGE: Ages 1-3.
GOOD FOR TEACHING: Colors, counting, types of cars in a freight train

The author also has a related book called "Inside Freight Train" where you can slide open the cars and see what's inside. Other Donald Crews' books include "Airplane" and "Truck." We have enjoyed those as well. One fun aspect of his books is that some of the same vehicles repeat. For example, one page of the book "Airplane" shows a landscape in which the rainbow-colored freight train is shown in the distance. My child was really tickled when he noticed it and recognized it as the same train from this book.
on February 2, 2016
My 2.5 year old toddler is nutso for trains right now and is also super into books before bedtime. I was looking for something with simplistic language and sentence structure but interesting enough for him to reread a thousand times. This book fit the bill. It's not a storybook in the traditional sense of the word; it's more of a word identification book. It names many of the kinds of cars attached to a locomotive in rainbow colors and then covers some nice vocabulary about where trains go. My toddler knows what a tender and trestles are thanks to this book. It's a fast read for an adult putting a child down for bed, and short enough for a child to memorize and proudly "read back" to you. Wonderful book, a family favorite.
on August 7, 2015
When this book first arrived, I had a WTF moment of "what is this? how am I supposed to read this to my kid and make it meaningful?" As a result of my lack of imagination, I didn't read it to my son very often, but eventually he started requesting it, and I was forced to reimagine what reading a book out loud means. The illustrations are simple, so we can't spend a lot of time pointing out small details. There are very few words on each page--truly just a handful throughout, so it's not about the text. Instead, I read the book with sound effects--mimicking the sound of the train slowly chugging on the tracks and speeding up. The tunnel, bridge and city portions have a different sound too, especially the city where the train must blow its horn over and over again to warn city dwellers that the train is passing through, and as the train speeds through the night and to its destination, I modulate my tone and my sound effects become softer and softer until we work up to the "Gone" which I say in a whisper. My son loves the overall effect of the pictures with my sound effects, and he gets very excited about reading the book. I have come to love it as well because I can be imaginative in my delivery and build an overall emotional/tonal experience for my son. This book isn't for everyone, but we like it a lot at our house.
on May 1, 2017
Board Book Classic - Great for children who love trains and also those children who have other interests. Easy and fun to read and a wonderful way to learn about colors and the different types of train cars.
on April 14, 2014
My two year old son loves trains. Of course this is one of his favorite books. It's been only two weeks since I started reading this book to him, he has already memorized the words. He even reads the name of the author immediately after he reads the title. This book enforces learning color and introduced him to new words he didn't know before. Now he recognizes some train words, and when he reads other train books, he can read those words. Very simple book, but highly recommended.
on March 15, 2016
This is the first book my son ever read all the way through by himself. He's a HUGE train fanatic (we own pretty much every Thomas train known to man), so this book was right up his alley. The sentences were simple and broken up on each page in a way that wasn't overwhelming for him. Watching him read the phrase "gondola car" was just wonderful! The drawings were very detailed, which excited my son -- he loved being able to point out the couplers and various other train components. He also really loved how the colors blurred to show the train in motion. The book itself is pretty sturdy, too. It gets a lot of use at our house, and it's still in one piece!
on April 10, 2017
I like the book a lot. Colors and shapes draw my sons attention but I think they are a bit too basic. I am a designer and there are a few things I would do differently but overall my son likes the book.
on May 4, 2017
My 3yr old son loves this book. He reads it over and over and over! Not sure if he knows how to read or just memorized the book. Get this book for your child. They'll love it!
on March 29, 2015
Young children who love trains will enjoy this book. The illustrations are simple, colorful and detailed. Each car pulled by the steam engine is labeled, and each one is a different color. The engine pulls a red caboose, an orange tank car, a yellow hopper car, a green stock car, a blue gondola car, a purple box car and a black tender. The child will learn each color word along with the name of each car. The train travels through a tunnel, through cities and over trestles. The only drawback: The book is too short, and there is no real story line. It is mainly informative and educational.
on April 17, 2017
This book is always met with calles to "Read it again!" Since it is not too long, I always do.