Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon January 11, 2011
Marilyn Brant has a way of writing where you see bits and pieces of yourself, if not thinking she must have been spying on you because that is YOU in the book.

This time we have three friends, and they meet every Friday morning at a coffee shop. Tamara is the outspoken one, her only child having gone off to college and her husband traveling extensively. Bridget feels like she isn't appreciated at home, but at the dentist office where she is now a part-time receptionist she feels worthy. Jennifer has never gotten over her college boyfriend. All feel stuck and maybe the grass is greener on the er side.

During one Friday conversation they discuss maybe having affairs. Each goes on their journey of love and discovery. Each with their own tale to tell.

My only complaint is the women on some level were a bit shallow, especially with each other. I never really felt a connection between any of them, which I really wanted.

I can't wait to see what Marilyn Brant puts out this year!
One person found this helpful
on October 8, 2012
A great novel about relationships, friendships, communication, and the truth about the choices we make. Did you marry the right person? Are you living the life you are meant to live? Are you living a lie? Marilyn Brant writes with beauty and honesty, as she raises these kinds of questions in Friday Mornings at Nine. We follow three very different women who face these challenging questions as they view their marriages and lives. Can they have the happily-ever-after ending? The answer may surprise you.
2 people found this helpful
on November 9, 2010
This wonderful followup to Marilyn Brant's debut novel, According to Jane, does not dissapoint! Tamara, Bridget and Jennifer meet every Friday morning at the Indigo Moon Cafe for coffee and gossip on their surburban lives. One day, Jennifer tells her pals that she's been in contact with her college sweetheart and this sets the plot in action. Soon, all three women are wondering if the lives they are living are the ones they're meant to have and begin to ask themselves the eternal question: is the grass really greener on the other side?

I have to say, of all the characters, Tamara was the one I was most rooting for. Her only son has just left for college and she's stuck in a loveless marriage with a man who seems to ignore her. I so identified with her empty nest syndrome!

This book is excellently written and all three stories end with an entirely satisfying conclusion. This is women's fiction at it's best!
3 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2018
pages are very old and dirty but still a great book
on August 16, 2016
You generally want to care about your story's main characters. These just seemed like a bunch of spoiled, sex and the city wannabe's with the added fluff of boring housewife drama to it. I really disliked the characters and by the end was ready to use the book in my fireplace. I'll save it for next winter as I don't think anybody would buy this. Just overall trivial really.
on March 13, 2013
This book didn't hold my interest well. I found the characters shallow, and somewhat boring. The women had no depth.
on February 8, 2013
The book arrived in great condition and in a timely manner. The story was a bit choppy and hard to believe, actually didn't finish, not much into soap operas...
on December 8, 2010
What started as a hopeful account of the lives of three forty-something mothers, quickly degenerated into an aimless story. There were so many possibilities for this story but, at the end, I was left with the feeling I had wasted several hours on my life and was no richer for it. The only light of joy in this book came with the "cougar" romance.
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2010
Author Marilyn Brant worked as an elementary school teacher, a library staff member, a freelance magazine writer and a national book reviewer before becoming a full-time novelist. According to Jane is her first novel, which won the prestigious 2007 RWA Golden Heart Award. Her next novel, The Grand European, is set for release in October 2011. Marilyn resides in Illinois with her husband and son.

This novel explores three women who contemplate wanting more outside of their marriage. Bridget, in a marriage with children, begins to feel an attraction for her boss, and though loves her husband, feels he just doesn't notice her anymore, nor allows her to explore her interests, like cooking. Tamara, in a marriage of convenience which has long grown bitter, begins feeling a sizzling attraction for her younger neighbor after her son goes away to college. Jennifer, though in a committed marriage with a man she loves, begins to feel regrets about her first love when he recently resumes contact for a college reunion. Exploring marriage, friendship, and being true to ones self is always shaky ground.

I was riveted to this author's first book, and this one didn't disappoint. Emotionally packed, it's hard to put down for all the sordid details and what ifs. This author writes with a very narrative voice, which usually makes for a detached read, but she really pulls it off and captures your attention. What intrigued me most was this book was as much about friendship as it was about what goes on behind the closed doors of marriage. Does anyone really know someone? Do we even know ourselves? Will we have the courage to go after what we want when presented with the options? This isn't a book about infidelity, and the author was very careful not to go that route or cross that line. A highly recommended women's fiction read.
5 people found this helpful
on November 10, 2010
Marilyn Brant masterfully writes on the intricacy of female friendship in a carefully crafted, entertaining and yet philosophical look at love, marriage and family. In FRIDAY MORNINGS AT NINE, we're dropped into an inner circle of three women who have spent years forging their bonds of trust -- but still remain skeptical of opening their hearts too much. Who hasn't felt that way? That our inner lives are something to be guarded, something to be protected, even with close friends?

That's what struck me most about this novel: how well Brant understands the complexity of women. Being one herself, of course, our author gives us three ladies who, for better or worse, we get. And FRIDAY MORNINGS AT NINE has a little something for all lovers of women's fiction, including my favorite plot: the return of an old love. Of the three storylines, I found Jennifer's to be the most compelling. This is a woman who, after being unceremoniously dumped by a man she loved more than a decade ago, still wonders what happened. Still harbors hurt feelings and misconceptions, all because she never got that mystical thing called "closure." Though my situation isn't just like hers, I've felt similarly -- and really came to anticipate Jennifer's chapters.

Brant's dialogue is what really propels us forward here, too. Never one to "tell" rather than "show," she lets most of her characters do the talking -- literally. From the aloof husbands to the nagging children to the random Halloween partygoers, everyone in the novel was brought to life through consistently well-written conversations. I felt like I could hear the cadence of their speech without any modifiers, and that's a mark of a great book for me.

Fans of women's fiction shouldn't miss this novel full of wonderful insights into our friendship and family, people and topics always at the forefront of our minds. I was so pleased with the way this one turned out and highly recommend it and Brant's debut novel, ACCORDING TO JANE.
4 people found this helpful