Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 982 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,050 reviews
on August 28, 2012
Bought this for the basement, which used to sit around 70% humidity in the summer. Arrived on time and in great shape.

Pro's:
1. It works extremely well to remove the humidity. I was advised to get the biggest unit I could. This was indeed good advise. It brought the large basement down to 50% humidity in short order and is keeping it there.
2. The pump function is super. Very well thought out. Exit is from the back, which is great. You push the special fitting (with hose) into the back of the unit and it automatically senses you want it to start pumping. No settings to fiddle with, it just knows. So nice to not have to empty the bucket.
3. The unit is attractive
4. The digital readout of temperature and humidity is great to have.
5. The controls are easy and intuitive.

Con's:
1. It cycles way too often. I don't understand why it does not wait until the humidity has increased to a certain level, say 5% above your setting, then run till it is 5% below. That way it cycles less. Right now, it turns on when its just barely above the setting and turns off when just below. It cycles about every 3 or 4 minutes, runs for about 4 minutes, then shuts off, only to turn back on 3 or 4 minutes later. Since the fan is loud, its really distracting. No way to adjust this setting that I can find.
2. The fan is quite loud. Not much you can do about this and every other unit I have owned suffers the same issue. I would guess since that is the basics of a dehumifier. i.e.run a big fan over a coil. Just be aware you are not going to be able to listen to mozart while this thing is on.
3. Even if you turn the fan to the low setting, it does not remember that the next time it fires back up. Right back to hurricane strength.

On the whole, its a good unit.

Followup - September 2013:

The unit suddenly stopped working after about 12.5 months. Bucket full light/alarm was on, even though I don't use the bucket. Nothing I could do to make it realize the bucket was empty. I called customer support and they were great (yes real people, located in the USA). After confirming that, indeed, nothing could be done on my end and that there was no service techs in my area, they agreed to give me a little grace on the 12 month warranty window and sent me a new one. It arrived about two weeks later and I was up and running again. This is a class outfit folks. I can't recommend more highly.
1313 comments| 416 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2013
The unit is fairly quiet for a dehumidifier. Especially like the caster wheels and there was virtually no assembly aside from removing packaging and plugging in the drain hose. I bought this model because it has a pump. Presently, it pumps up vertically 4 feet, then down to the drain. I was surprised it included 15 feet of hose (thought I'd need to go buy that). I am using all 15 feet without issue. The automatic features for setting a humidity range work very well. I mainly bought this unit to keep humidity levels consistent in a bedroom / bathroom living space where there are several pieces of fine-art hanging.
--- Update after 9 Months---
Still running and working great. Humidity levels kept consistent. No issues with humidity/artwork.
-- Update: 2 Years Old ---
Unit still works great. Recently I needed to dry a large 5ft by 3ft oil painting and placed it in a room with a large heater. Ran it 24/7 for over a week. This was my first time to use the unit without the pump and instead rely on the reservoir to capture the water -- No problems at all.
33 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2015
Had this product for a month. Worked fine the first two weeks on continuous flow then the bucket started filling up. Tried suggestions on various discussion boards including the reviews on Amazon. Gave up after two weeks and tried the pump systems. Thought it was working then same result. I am away frequently and the bucket dumping system isn't an option. Since the unit is near a sump pump didn't want to pay for electricity and future replacement of the internal pump. Called Friedrich and what other reviewers said, their customer service is non existent, is true.They suggested the nearest repair facility that was two hours away. Really? Called them anyhow and they are no longer in business. The product is made in China so their facility in Texas won't take it. Tried to return product to Amazon. Two days too late for that. Why won't Amazon allow zero stars? I read every review on Amazon before I bought and decided the good ones outweighed the bad before I purchased. Big mistake. If you do the same thing you do so at your peril.

**UPDATE** Bought it to a repair facility after only having the unit for about 3 weeks in early July. The drive was about 2 hours away. It was finally "fixed' in early October! They replaced a circuit board. Well it turns out that after plugging it in the problem still exists. Called the repair facility back a couple of times and they promised to call back but never did. Contacted another repair facility and they were more sympathetic to our plight. They gave me a number at Friedrich to call and they were also very responsive. The upshot was that they would send a new unit for free.

Friedrich is probably a good product but in the future If I purchase any dehumidifier I will ascertain where the repair facilities are located before I buy. Perhaps someplace like a local Sears.
on August 27, 2013
I am generally happy with this unit which I am using to keep a small archival storage room at 45% RH. The 8' x 12' room is almost hermetically sealed with limited access and the machine collects about a pint of water every 3 days, so I have not run a continuous drain line.

The one problem I have seen is that if the temperature in the room gets too high (above about 80 degrees F.) the machine runs continuously with the RH reading on the display frozen above the shutoff set-point. Since the dehumidifier is a net heat generator, the space will eventually get so hot the temperature display will show an out-of-range error. Manually turning off the machine and restarting will make it recover its tiny mind. When restarted, the RH% displays a lower number which suggests there's a firmware bug that hangs the micro-controller and not a problem with the RH sensor.

I also have a larger Friedrich D50AP dehumidifier which displays exactly the same problem. Consequently, these machines have to be regularly monitored if used in a warm spaces and set to run continuously. Unfortunately, the D50AP has died from a slow coolant leak that is likely to have been the result of severe corrosion on one side of the machine's evaporator.

6-15-2014 update: For some months now, if my Freidrich D25BNP is set for continuous operation, when I check it the next day it will be shutdown and unresponsive to any of its controls and must be unplugged for some seconds and then plugged in again to make it functional. I now use the machine's timer function and set it to run for no more than 4 hours. Longer than that and it will usually become unresponsive again. It does collect water and I have separate hygrometers that confirm the room's RH is being maintained below 40%.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
We have had humidity issues in our basement forever! We had an LG humidifier, Samsung which we purchased from Lowes, etc.. they seem to constantly run but to no avail! We would be dumping out water constantly but it always smelled like a basement (dirty socks). Decided to purchase this based on the great reviews and was impressed with the results!

We've had it now for about a month and it's been working like a charm! It was great to watch the humidity drop and notice the huge difference in the basement, the smell is gone and it actually is enjoyable down there. I actually hang laundry up down there and it's dry in like an hour - in the past, it would take about a day and have a lovely mildew smell.. ick! But not anymore :)

It's gotten the humidity down to the recommended % and has been holding steady. My husband loves that he doesn't have to dump water anymore! There is a tube that runs directly from the unit to our drain so it's foolproof! In regards to the noise, it's much quieter than our other inferior units and it's not distracting at all. For the money, I wanted to be blown away and I have been hand's down! It's worth the cost! And is an American company!! SCORE!

Update: January 2014 this is still going strong and working great! Our basement never smells like a basement and we have come now tot take this for,granted.

Second update.... January 2015 and it's still chugging along and doing a great job. Well done! Great investment!
Third Update: May 2015 and still as dependable and efficient as day we got it. Love it so much can't stop updating review praises :)

Third update:..... November 7, 2015.. still chugging along and working as great as it did from day one. I'm purposely updating my review of this so much because it really is a great product and an excellent investment.
on June 13, 2013
After going through about 3 cheap dehumidifiers in the last 10 years, I decided to spend more and upgrade to a more powerful and dependable unit. So far, this Friedrich D50BP 50 Pt. machine is proving to be a real workhorse. I was looking for a dehumidifier that had a built-in pump, was portable, covered a larger area, and most importantly, was relatively quiet. I am pleased that this one met all of these standards. I have placed the unit in the basement hallway so that it can reach the back bedroom and bathroom as well as the front living room.

The small hose from the pump is draining into the shower which concerned me initially since it had to travel over several high spots. No problem. The tubing provided was over 6ft. Some of the reviews said that it was noisy. I don't find this true compared to the cheaper models you find at Walmart, etc. On the high setting, I can hear it running when I walk by the basement, but it's no different than a regular fan you would use in the house. On the low setting, it does not bother us when we're watching TV, which is only about 10 ft. away.

I set the humidity level at 45%. It took about 4 days to reach that level which is pretty amazing since my basement is very humid. Other cheap units usually run for a couple wks. to get to that level. Now, I've turned the fan to the low setting and I rarely hear it at all from upstairs. I enjoy the flexibility of moving it up and down the hallway if it gets more humid in the back part of the basement.

So far, it's been working great after a month. Check back in August for an update.
on June 3, 2015
It does the job, BUT it is noisy, the inside container needs frequent cleaning, the tube to allow automatic discharge into the sink or drain, leaks too much to use it, despite a new adapter. I was disappointed considering both the price and the automatic discharge was the #1 reason I selected this model.

UPDATE: I contacted the company and they provided me a new tube to go with the new adapter and combined they are now doing the job. I would still give it 3 stars overall because of the noise and cleaning, but at least I can use the automatic discharge feature.
on January 21, 2015
I really like this unit. I bought the small one for my bathroom that has a small window but no exhaust fan. The unit runs very quietly. It sucks a lot of moisture out of the air rapidly. I use just the internal resevoir and the unit shuts off if the tank fills up. The tank is accessed very easily from the front as is the filter. The filter is easy to clean and the tank is easy to dump. The controls are right on top and easy to use. I usually just set the timer for an hour, get in the shower, and let the unit do its thing. As soon as I get out of the shower the mirror is clear of moisture and the bathroom is not hot from humidity. I get almost no mold growing in my bathroom now. I really can not think of anything that I do not like about the unit. I plan on buying the medium or large one for the main part of my house.
on June 22, 2013
I don't know what the people who design dehumidifiers are thinking. This unit is replacing a Frigidaire that stopped working properly after 5 years. The two units have had the same design issue as far as short cycling. By short cycling I mean the unit will cycle between being on for a few seconds up to a minute and off again for less than a minute without really doing much of anything. You won't notice this behavior until the unit has gotten the humidity in the room down to whatever level you have the unit set to and it is just trying to maintain equilibrium.

The problem is where they are locating the temperature and humidity sensors, which is right on the condenser in the path of the incoming air. A dehumidifier works very much like an air conditioner in that it passes air over a condenser. So in use the condenser is cold and dripping wet with the moisture that is being removed from the air, like a cold can of soda on a warm day. The humidity sensor is a quarter of an inch away from this. So when it isn't running it thinks the humidity is much higher than it actually is. When it turns off you'll see the humidity display rapidly start to go back up. Then it turns back on again and with the room air being drawn in past the sensor it rapidly goes back down again and the unit turns off. Repeat forever. It's even worse if you have the drain pump hooked up because it runs the pump after every time it shuts off. So there is just a constant assortment of noises.

The good news is there is an easy fix. The bad news is you're going to void the warranty doing it. You need to relocate the sensor outside of the unit if you want it to work better and you're going to have to put a hole in the cover to do it. The sensor is located in the upper right of the intake area as you face the unit. First remove the air filter and water bucket. You can then remove the right side panel. There are 3 screws on the back, 2 on the front, and one on the side at the bottom. You can then pop the panel off, there's a catch in the middle at the front. You'll now have access to the sensor which is held in by a plastic clip. I also cut one of the zip ties keeping the sensor cable tied to the other cables running up the side of the unit to create more slack. Then I drilled a half inch hole in the side panel in the least obtrusive spot I could find, which was inside of the handle area. Detach the cable from the sensors itself, again there is a little plastic clip holding it. Feed the cable through the hole and reattach the sensor. Now you can reattach the side panel. I just taped the cable to the outside of the unit. You don't want the sensor to be in the airflow of either the intake or the exhaust. Before I did this the readings when the unit was off were 62 degrees and 69% humidity. Once I relocated the sensor they changed to 67 degrees and 58% humidity. Compare this to the readings of a separate thermometer/hygrometer in the room that said 66 degrees and 54% humidity.

So it's difficult to give a star rating. On the one hand I should give it 1 star for requiring me to modify it out of the box just to get it to work properly. On the other hand every other unit on the market seems to be designed the same way. Once you do the modification it works well and the pump feature is great. It's 2013, they could put the sensors in a wireless remote that you could put a few feet away from the unit to get even better readings. I can't speak about the longevity of the unit yet.
1313 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2016
Received a defective unit. It turned on, but for some reason it did not draw any moisture out of the air. The bucket was completely dry after running for 2 days. We also have the larger 70 Pint Friedrich unit, which works perfectly in the basement, and which is why we decided to buy this smaller version, which is like a cute smaller version of the larger one. We bought this smaller one for the master bathroom. We will buy a different brand once the return to Amazon is completed. Amazon was 100% responsive in accepting the return and the return process was incredibly smooth.

A curious thing about the unit we received was that the "H" was missing from the end of "FRIEDRICH" printed on the front plate, so it just said "FRIEDRIC". It was a subtle change that we only noticed because we were comparing the larger 70 pint unit to the smaller 25 pint unit side-by-side, because they are otherwise identical. Makes me wonder if there are some quality control issues during manufacturing.