Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on August 18, 2012
I had a Swiss Gold coffee filter a few years ago, and I used it several times w/ regular grind coffee. I always had grounds/sludge in the bottom of the pot.

I gave away the Swiss Gold and went back to paper filters, but I'm trying to economize and "go green," so I thought I would try one of these again and just learn to live with the grounds in the pot, or maybe strain them out with a tea strainer when I poured from the carafe or something.

So, I ordered this Frieling Gold Coffee Filter last week, and the holes in it are smaller than on the Swiss Gold. Guess what: NO GROUNDS IN THE POT! NO SLUDGE!

If you use a fine grind, I would guess you MIGHT have some grounds get through, but with a regular, commercial grind, no problems. In the morning, I just want my coffee quick, and I either use commercially prepared regular grind coffee or grind my own on medium.

I have a Krups coffee / espresso "combo" machine.

Submitted by "Mrs. Neighbor John"
on February 23, 2014
I home brew my own Turmeric tea. I buy the organic powder and simmer it with other ingredients like ginger. However, I have had trouble finding a good strainer so that I am not swallowing clumps of the powder. Frustrated, one day I decided to use my parents coffee filter as a strainer and happily got some improved results. So thereafter I went on Amazon to see if I could buy a better filter then the one included in my parents Breville coffee maker which was really really expensive.

The Frieling filter had great reviews and I decided to try it out and add to the consensus that this filter is superb.It allows me to filter out the finely grained powder from the tea so that I can enjoy the WHOLE cup I brew. Before I would get close to the end of my mug and swallow clumps of powder (that didn't fully dissolve after 10 min of good simmering), which really ruined the experience but not anymore.

This filter allows me to throw together any combo of ingredients into a small pot and then filter the remnants out without concern, so that I can enjoy every last sip of my tea!!!! Great buy!
on July 8, 2015
The product itself is 5 stars, but the stars are what I would personally rate it based on my experience using it.

If you like these types of filters it's a 5 star product. It lets all the essential oils from your coffee beans through it and you experience a deeper and richer flavor from your coffee. It's wonderful to taste.

The biggest con for me is it is a real pain to clean. You can't just spray it off and expect to get all the little coffee bits out of the filter between uses. You will need to wipe it down and really clean it. If you make 1 pot a week or so it probably wouldn't be that bad. I personally drink a pot a day and I'd rather throw away a filter than clean this thing for 5-10 minutes.
on February 11, 2014
As of now, I've owned this filter for 8 months. It looks as brand new as the day I pulled it out of the box! Since this is not a paper filter, which would capture every grain of coffee, it takes a little getting used to. The trick is to grind the beans a little courser than you would for auto-drip. You'll also find that the coffee might look oily, that's because the natural oils in coffee beans will pass through the filter. You will also find that these oils will improve the flavor of your coffee IMMENSELY! I grind my own beans in a Cuisinart burr grinder, so I can control the size of the grind. Before I owned that grinder I had to use pre-ground beans. Now I did find that with the already ground beans from the store there was a little grit at the bottom. That was fixed once I was able to grind my own beans.
You'll find that with this filter you will want to purchase better quality beans so you can fully enjoy the flavors that are now afforded you.
on October 29, 2013
I ordered a permanent filter because the paper ones were too thin and when wet, were folding, not allowing the water to go through the coffee, essentially making the coffee weak.

This filter's mesh is excellent quality allowing for a coffee that is the most suitable to my taste. It fits perfectly in the basket on my coffee maker. There will be some particulates in the bottom of your coffee cup as the result of finely ground coffee, but it has not been a problem for me.

My opinion is that this product produces a better tasting coffee without the residual taste of paper filters. There is also some economic benefit from not having to purchase filters continually. This filter should last for years if it is handled properly. I knock off the most of the grounds for compost or trash then rinse out the remaining grounds. I never scrub or use a brush as this would probably reduce the integrity of the fine metal mesh.
on October 10, 2012
The gold filter leaves a slight darker residue in the bottom of the cup but no grit or grounds. I love not positioning a paper filter so it doesn't catch when my automatic grind coffee machine flips the cone over to catch the water. And the filter cleans up beautifully.
on August 6, 2012
I ordered this to pair with a Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker with Glass Carafe, Brushed Aluminum after I got tired of messing with paper filters' cost and waste.

The filter fits perfectly in the Bonavita (and presumably other #4 filter holders), and seems to be reasonably sturdy. I alternate washing it by hand and dishwashing (top rack), and it looks as good after three months as it did when new.

As for the grind, I use freshly ground beans, ground on a medium fine setting with a Jura-Capresso 560 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder, Brushed Silver, 8.5-Ounce grinder.

I have not had issues with sludge or coffee that is weak: it has been well brewed every time, perhaps a bit on the strong side. You can easily tell that it's not a paper filter, too: the coffee oils are (slightly) visible in the brewed coffee. If you worry about those, then you should stick with paper.

For the price and quality of the coffee so far, I can recommend it. Cheers!
22 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 13, 2012
I bought this filter for my coffee maker. For the price I paid for my coffee maker I feel this filter should have come with it, but I guess that's neither here nor there now. This filter is above reproach. It keeps the grounds out of my coffee. My coffee has a nice smooth flavor. This filter is very easy to clean, usually with just a rinse in hot water but is top shelf dishwasher safe and can be hand washed as well. I definitely recommend you purchase and use this filter if your coffee maker requires a Cone #4. This filter does a much better job than those paper ones.
on December 26, 2013
We are in the coffee business and although we enjoy paper filters for pour overs, we love to use this gold filter for our Bonavita drip brewer. It allows the coffee oils through and give the coffee more of a french press kind of taste and mouth feel. Love it. Great to have and saves money on constantly buying paper filters. We use white vinegar to clean it (soak it in vinegar for 10 minutes and then rinse). Great product.
on March 30, 2015
More eco friendly works great and cheap