Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
Uk-based trio Friendly Fires formed in 2006, and is one of the many, many bands out there that is reinventing and giving a new interpretation of the 1980s 'new wave' sound for the 21st century. After a couple of well-received EPs, the band got signed to Xl and in the Fall of 2008 finally released their debut album.

"Friendly Fires" (10 tracks; 37 min.) starts off with a blasting "Jump In the Pool" (UK single), and sounds very much like the title suggests. "Paris" (their 2007 break-out single) is also included here and is 'simply irresitable'. The songs follow one another in a furious pace, and the album plays really like one long dance-party. "On Board", my favorite track of the album, just makes just you want to jump on board this dance party. "Skeleton Boy" will bring any wallflower to the dance floor. As you play this, 1980s-era output of New Order comes to mind of course, as will contemporary Aussie-band Cut Copy. At just 37 min., this album blasts by in no time. Just great.

I caught these guys earlier this year at Coachella, and what a great set they put on, playing most of the tracks of this album of course. Even though they played an early afternoon set, the tent was packed and the band made most of the opportunity and made the place jump, just fantastic. Meanwhile, if you wonder where you can hear these guys, check out WOXY (BAM! The Future of Rock & Roll), the internet-only station that brings the best indie-music in the country, bar none.
on March 7, 2014
In spite of this being a few years old, I only recently came across it thanks to finding 'Paris' on youtube. From Paris I got hooked on 'Skeleton Boy' which after several weeks I still can't get enough of. So I jumped for the extended album. At first I was a little worried that the mixes in the latter tracks were the most appealing but after a few plays, most of the album has grown on me now. Perhaps not surprising for a first album, the mixes are perhaps a little more polished and poppy than the main album tracks, but there are subtleties to be appreciated in those. If I can sum it up in a few words, there's energy reminiscent of the 80s but also a musical sophistication that reminds me a little of Talk Talk, e.g. Such a shame and It's my life, plus New order-esque guitar riffs.
on July 3, 2017
love it
on November 24, 2009
I have itunes to thank for introducing me to Friendly Fires. Just in case you didn't know, itunes offers free music every Tuesday. Every now and again....it's really good. Several months ago they were promoting the video to the Friendly Fires song "Skeleton Boy" which is as interesting as the song itself. And, after the relentless streaming of the "Kiss of Life" video on MTV[...] that my wife played every morning as she put on her make-up and her other less subtle hints, I was left with no option but to purchase the CD.

As I began playing the album, I was initially disappointed to find that the version of Skeleton Boy on this particular version of the album was quite a bit different to the single I had heard. Also, Kiss of Life was nowhere to be found. Make sure you get Friendly Fires (Deluxe Edition). It has the aforementioned bonus tracks and more.

Nevertheless, as I continued with the obligatory 5 uninterrupted spins, I found myself really getting into the bands debut release. Simply put, these guys are a rock band playing dance songs. Nowadays, it seems like all the dance music I hear is centered around electronic drum and bass sounds. Some of it is great. But it's really refreshing to hear a band create a bounce just like the old days, with a thumping kick drum and a string bass playing octaves on the eighth notes. Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of electronic sounds on this album. But the core groove comes from a really tight drummer and a bassist that knows how to keep it simple. Well done. These songs are going to make you want to dance. But, at the same time, you'll still feel like your listening to a band rather than a computer.

I really dig Photobooth which immediately made me check my calendar for an open Friday night for a dance party. Just drums, overdriven bass, falsetto and a smackling of guitar and other sounds to keep it interesting. Jump in the Pool is another excellent cut. The lyrics are unencumbered and fun: "Someday we're gonna live in Paris. I promise I'm on it." and "Climbing, I'm climbing aboard. Givin' it a little bit more"

I agree with my wife who said, "I need a break." The album never stops to catch it's breath. But all in all they present a very real sounding up-beat collection of tunes. I think the band's soul desire was for me to move my hiney. And in that they have definitely succeeded.[...]
on January 28, 2015
This is more of a simple production, a group who just got together and jammed and came up with producing an album. Very different, but check it out before considering it. I appreciate many different formats of music
on August 14, 2016
jewel case was busted but no disc damage
on September 21, 2012
I had already purchased Friendly Fires Pala which is a spectacular album. As usual after I had one album I liked I had to grab the others. Friendly Fires self titled is a nice rhythmic journey of new synth beat pop with an 80's influence. I now wake up to this album when I get up and before I jump in the pool.
on March 17, 2016
This is such a great album. I am very satisfied with my purchase.
on December 14, 2011
This Album is Perfect! The music has that alternative, chill, yet intense sound. The lyrics are amazing. Friendly Fires is a great Band. This is one of, if not, their best Album in my opinion. This Cd was a Great buy, and was at a Great Price. Perfect Album to buy.
on September 24, 2009
I was very pissed off that the main single "Kiss of Love" is only on the deluxe edition, but a few weeks later I simmered down to see this is a nice album of a sort of Elton John inspired funky pop for serious hipsters who decide the music to be played on Gossip Girl. But I'm not throwing it away just for being good indie pop. It works. I jam to it.