Frigidaire FRA156MT1 15,100 BTU Window-Mounted Median Room Air Conditioner
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Want this professionally installed?
- Have a handyman setup your product at a time that works for you
- No hassles; No fumbling with parts, complex instructions, or tools
- Your handyman will ensure that your product is carefully inspected for safety
- Quality services by a handpicked local handyman; Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Pro will contact you within 1 business day to schedule
- Kick back and only pay when the job is done
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Book the service directly on Amazon
- Receive confirmation within 1 business day
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Window-mounted installation
- 15,100 BTU cooling capacity with 3 fan speeds
- Cools room sizes up to 900 sq. ft.
- 4-way air direction control
- Electronic controls with full function remote with thermostat
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
From the manufacturer
This unit has an Energy Efficiency Ratio of 10.7 and is sure to provide you with savings, along with convenient, cool comfort. In Energy-saver mode the fan continues to run for 1 minute after the compressor shuts off. The fan then cycles on for 20 seconds at 10 minute intervals until the room temperature is above the set temperature, at which time the compressor turns back on. The low voltage operation and Energy Saver mode help to conserve energy and save you money.
Frigidaire Heavy-Duty Window Air Conditioner
Frigidaire's FRA156MT1 15,100 BTU 115-Volt Window-Mounted Median Air Conditioner is perfect for rooms up to 900 square feet. It quickly cools the room on hot days and quiet operation keeps you cool without keeping you awake. Low voltage start-up and operation conserves energy and saves you money. Ready-Select electronic controls allow you to set the comfort level to your preference, while the convenient temperature readout displays the set temperature. Effortless temperature sensing remote control allows you to see, set and maintain room temperature from across the room. The multi-speed fan features three different fan speeds for more cooling flexibility and the multi-directional comfort control design allows you to easily control the direction of the cool air, wherever the unit is mounted. Plus, the clean air ionizer removes pollen and impurities from the air providing relief for allergy sufferers.
Window-Mounted Median Design
15,100 BTU 115-volt window-mounted median air conditioner
Optional Side Panels extend so you can adjust your unit to fit your window
Tilt-out, antimicrobial mesh filter with clean filter alert cleans the air removing harmful bacteria
Clean air ionizer removes pollen and impurities from the air providing relief for allergy sufferers
Fresh air vent and exhaust control remove odors and freshen the air
Ready-select electronic controls allow you to easily select options with the touch of a button
3 cooling speeds and 3 fan speeds for more cooling flexibility
Effortless temperature control maintains preset room temperature so you will remain at your comfort level
Effortless restart automatically resumes operating at its previous settings when power is restored
4-way air direction control allows you to direct the air where you want it
Auto cool mode allows the fan to adjust speeds as the room temperature changes
Temperature Sensing Remote Control
Effortless temperature sensing remote control allows you to see, set and maintain room temperature from across the room
Sleep mode gradually increases room temperature after being activated
24-hour on/off timer cools on your schedule
|Dimensions (H x D x W)||17.85 x 25.37 x 23.63 inches||17.85 x 25.37 x 23.63 inches||17.85 x 25.37 x 23.63 inches||18.6 x 26.6 x 26.5 inches||18.6 x 26.6 x 26.5 inches||18.6 x 26.6 x 26.5 inches|
|Cool Area (Sq. Ft.)||900||1170||1170||1435||1672||1672|
|Plug Type (NEMA)||LCDI, 5-15P||LCDI, 6-15P||LCDI, 6-30P||LCDI, 6-15P||LCDI, 6-20P||LCDI, 6-30P|
Frigidaire's FRA156MT1 15,100 BTU Window-Mounted Median Room Air Conditioner is perfect for medium to large size rooms up to 900 square feet. It features electronic controls and a full function remote control giving you the choice of controlling the temperature with the remote or at the unit. A thermostat located on the remote control precisely maintains preset room temperature so you will remain comfortable at all times. The antibacterial mesh filter cleans the air, removing harmful bacteria and allergens. The unit operates at a low voltage conserving energy and saving you money.
Top Customer Reviews
This is as big as you can go with 110 volt plug. It takes 12 AMP of power, so whatever circuit you plug it into will likely have little room for anything else (think entertainment center, microwave, etc.)
Beware of window height. Some window styles won't open high enough - Check yours.
Pain to install. Takes me 2 people and 45 mins every time I do one of these big boys.
Cold? Oh yes. It's the full 15,000 BTU. A mighty blizzard compared even to the 12,000 units. It will cool whatever room you put it in and probably the adjoining ones too.
Loud? Compared to others on the market today yes. Compared to even 5 years ago? Not really.
If you've got the window to fit it in and the significant wad of extra cash to pay for the size premium, the only concern I would have is 1) noise and 2) shipping. (This unit's box is just too much for one poor delivery man whereas the smaller box for the 6/8/10/12K BTU units is manageable).
3 stars because I think it's overpriced and find Frigidaire of avg. quality.
Also to consider... here's the review I gave on another model that is relevant to this one:
Between family and rent houses I put all types and sizes to the test every year in the scorching Texas sun. Here's my experience:
If you want a solid window air conditioner, it really boils down to two choices: Frigidaire and LG. The current "sweet spot" on reliability/price/economy is the 10,000 BTU unit regardless of make/manufacturer.
Recently they've been making 12,000 & 15,000 BTU 110V (normal plug) units.
-The 12000 BTU truly is 20% stronger, but you pay 50% more here on Amazon.
-The 15000 BTU is a snowball tossing beast, but it's in a larger case that may not fit your window (height-wise) and doesn't have a long history on the market so we don't know how it will do long-term
LG Pros - The 10,000 BTU LG is my "workhorse". Best value. Run them till they fail in 4 to 7 years, then swap `em out for another.
1) Better warranty (but really, who cares when it breaks because you're sitting there sweating)
2) Typically last an additional 2-3 years over other brands
3) An LG rarely just stops running - it will degrade slowly over a season
4) They are more tolerant of neglect (e.g. dirty filters... can't rely on tenant to care for your stuff)
5) Better withstands being placed in harsher environments (direct sunlight, restricted airflow)
6) Lower "lemon" rate
Frigidaire Pros - For family I prefer to run 12,000 & 15,000 BTU Frigidaires. They are a little nicer, and I consider it worth it even though they always break sooner. (Value and reliability aren't as important, but I do have to compensate by keeping a new boxed spare around because they always fail at the most inopportune moments. Most people can't do this.)
1) A little nicer looking
2) Better features
4) Slightly easier installation
5) Circuit surge/drain on startup seems significantly less (think lights flickering when compressor comes on)
Other parting thoughts:
1) A thing to know about newer units: To obtain the higher EER (efficiency) ratings, they use finer design on heat exchanger fins. For the non-experts, this means smaller little spaces that get jammed up with dirt/mold/whatever resulting in a clogged/filthy/poorly operating unit much-much faster than your parents' old units. Appliance repair stores can service your window unit every year (clean it of filth) that will extend life by at least 2 years and sometimes much more. Of course this costs anywhere from $50 up, and the units are cheap, so it's your call whether to service or toss it.
2) The 10,000 BTU Frigidaire here on Amazon is a good buy w/Amazon Prime shipping. For other higher BTU models, as of this writing you'll be paying more but also know that right now with the national heatwave most box stores are sold out so you may not have a choice.
3) Something this heavy is a risky ship (versus store pickup). It might be shipped wrong-side-up, or dropped, or whatever. It's a risk you'll run so do so knowingly. (I seem to have pretty good luck w/Amazon shipped items.) The risk is offset, however, by advantages of buying from Amazon (store would take forever, you'd have to load it and bring it home, have to have a vehicle large enough to carry it, etc.)
4) Clean. Your. Filter. Every. Week. It will keep your little ice machine healthy.
5) Different stores have different models from the same maker. If they are made in the same year, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
6) Tempted to go cheap like a Haier? Don't.
7) Tempted to buy a 6,000 or 8,000 BTU model? Don't. Get the stronger unit. It will cool down the room faster. It will not need to work as hard as a weaker unit and last longer. It is built with some stronger/better key components.
Good luck and happy cooling.
On the plus side, they are powerful and do a great job cooling my 1600 sq ft first floor (with 10ft ceilings). Another plus is they run off 110 volt line, so you can plug them into regular outlets. On the other hand, they take 12 amps (rated, and I measured it). So you basically still need a dedicated 15amp circuit for these puppies.
Anyways, I also bought 3 of the smaller models--all have same operation, remotes. Very straightforward. I love the remote sensing feature--I can put the remote up higher and on the other side of the room and set the thermostat, and it is much more accurate that way (just buy some rechargeable AAA batteries to keep em going). I like the energy saver mode--these use that all the time, so it turns off once it reaches the desired temp and comes on as needed.
They are not quiet, but I doubt your bedroom is big enough such that you'd be sleeping with them; however, don't put them in the TV room--you'll have to turn it up loud. I planned on that and intentionally put them in the other rooms on the first floor--they keep the whole floor cool without being a bother that way. Actually, they may be just a tad too much for my needs, but not so much that it is a problem (e.g., no moisture issues).
The air filters are pretty standard; not hard to clean (like a dryer lint trap); it tells you based on a timer when to clean. Then you just clean and reset.
My only real criticism of these (and all like Frigidaire models) is that "eight way" vents are only so-so. I really want the cold air to blow up, but you can only get them at like a 20 degree angle upwards (if I had to estimate). Seems like most window AC units suffer from this issue, though. Not a major issue, but it could be better.
Anyways, they're energy star rated, but they're still going to cost you, especially in the hotter times, but hey, it is SO worth it! :)
Though it is heavy, and as a 51 year old female of 130 lbs, I was able to install this myself with a little ingenuity. Delivery came with a slight flaw in the out case (dent), but nothing I cared much about and it ended there. I did send photos and notify Amazon in the event of other damage noticed after installation but this never was the case. It has been a full year and it runs quietly like a gem :)
The totally amazing surprise is quite honestly, our electric bill never changed and I still can't quite figure this part out. I couldn't come up with a complaint if I tried.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
39 months old. [...]Read more