YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now NYNN

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 384 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on October 23, 2006
The expression on the faces of my three and five year old as they puzzle, smile and nod over the adventures of Frog and Toad is something I think I'll carry with me for a long time. The kids are fully engaged with the audio CD, and can now follow along with the printed words when I read the same stories to them from the Frog and Toad books.

While Arnold Lobel has a calm, kid friendly reading voice, he never panders or talks down to the kids. I like that. I also appreciate the gentle, absurd wit that Lobel weaves into these stories. I'm not kidding when I say that I could see the skeleton of a Seinfeld plot in some of these stories. Makes it easier for an adult in the car to listen to, that's for sure.
on April 1, 2013
This is the least kid-friendly of the Frog and Toad books. Lobel was clearly undergoing life changes by this point in his career, and things don't always come out as innocently as they do in earlier installations in the series.

For example, in the kite story, some decidedly mean-spirited things are said—things that are difficult to explain to a toddler who has never experienced teasing, insulting words, and the like. While the other books in the series are rated "G," this title is closer to a "PG" rating—it will require some amount of work on the part of parents to explain it to kids that remain reasonably innocent.

At the same time, it's still Frog and Toad—the characters haven't changed, and neither, ultimately, has the wisdom involved in these stories—it's just that in this volume, there is a greater mismatch between the reading level and the kinds of wisdom being presented.

It's not an egregious difference—and we still read these stories to our toddler, just as we have with the other titles—but the difference is there, nonetheless.
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2012
Just before my little boy turned 3, we started playing stories on CD for him. This one is his favorite.

We have never read the Frog and Toad books, but somehow just by listening, he latched onto the plots of all the stories and loves them and asks repeatedly to have this two-disc set played for him while he quietly plays in his playroom.

Just a head's up for any parents who might be interested: either Toad or Frog at one point scolds the other, "shut up!" which led to a many-days-long issue with my boy here at the house. It has passed, but it was unpleasant while it lasted. Also at one point one of them says "he is trying to kill me!" and that word hasn't been introduced in our house yet. Not a big deal but if you're playing these stories for really little ones, it's something to be aware of.

Also for whatever reason, the story called The Lost Button rubs my kid the wrong way, HARD, and we have to be ready to skip ahead or else deal with a meltdown.

EDIT TO ADD: My son is now almost 4 1/2 and he still listens to this disc at least twice a week. He has outgrown his fear of The Lost Button. I highly highly recommend this CD.

EDIT JULY 2014: My boy is 5 1/2 and still this is on constant rotation. Several times a week, and now he also acts it out when it's not playing. A+++++.
on July 31, 2013
When my daughter was small, "Frog and Toad are Friends" was one of her treasures, a book to be read to her
as she cuddled in my lap, and then by herself as she grew older. It is a timeless tale, one as endearing and
enduring as "Peter Rabbit", "The Princess and the Pea", or countless other stories children hear and learn by
heart. The illustrations are fun and slightly quirky, mostly green, as you would imagine. Children everywhere
love this small and delightful book and it makes a wonderful gift for someone you cherish. The "4 Star" rating
is simply because this particular publication is paperback, not even a firmer hardcover version, much to my
disappointment. The copy I bought for my daughter many years ago was of a better quality and is still
tucked away in her closet for safekeeping, slightly worn and much loved.
on January 3, 2011
This book, along with another by author Arnold Lobel "Frog and Toad Together," have become favorites of my daughter (just turned 3) and me. The book is written around two main characters, Frog and Toad, and their adventures together, and is also part of the "I Can Read" series of books. Below are main points based on hours of reading with daddy's girl:

* The tales are charming and relationship-based, so the child is exposed to issues of friendship through storytelling in a subtle way. The particulars of the story are thoughtfully presented and often humorous. That is not to say that this is exclusively a teaching tool; some tales lean more toward relationship issues, while others are simply entertaining, but all of them revolve around the connection between friends. I read to my daughter daily and often, and at this stage this book is just right with regard to length, complexity, and situations that are bound to tickle her brain.

* The illustrations are simple but attractive and follow events in the story. This is one of the first books I've read to my daughter that is weighted more toward the printed word than the illustrations. This also makes it vastly more interesting for this particular daddy, who may have been growing tired of simpler fare.

* This is the first book my daughter has gotten into that has independent chapters. Each chapter is sized just about right, about twelve pages or so, and is perfect for keeping my daughter's interest. It also makes for a nice bridge to 'bigger' books and allows me to point out that a longer story can be made up of more individual events and the imagery produced by the spoken word can begin to overtake printed illustrations.

* This particular book is a Caldecott Honor Book. I tend to seek out books that are unique, challenging, and rewarding to read, and it is nice to know that it also has been recognized by a respected organization.

The bottom line is this: out of the universe of children's books, this is one - at least from this daddy's perspective - that I don't mind reading over and over for days on end and which my daughter loves and asks for by name. For me, this also hits a sweet spot between fantasy and reality, values and entertainment, and challenging material that my daughter enjoys digesting. As with any media, toy, or developmental tool my child is exposed to, I am very choosy - as I am certain any parent is. It also comes down to personal preference, one's particular values, developmental stage, etc. For me, however, this book hit the mark at the right time and has helped transition from simpler tales full of pictures to more complex stuff.
on January 26, 2015
I bought this to read to a 2 1/2 year old neighbor, because he loves being read to. I read these Frog and Toad books to my kids when they were little and liked them very much. They're nice little stories about the quirky ways people (and apparently amphibians) behave, and always end on a note of warm friendship. I like to support my local bookstore, but I also like to buy used books to save unnecessary printing. Although "used", this book was in perfect condition.
on July 12, 2014
Every year for the past 5 years we make a 22 hr car trip, so that's 44+ hrs in the car total. We don't bring DVD players but use audio books instead to entertain the kids. We've listened to a lot of books but this is the one CD my kids always request. The story lines are simple, but sweet and funny and relatable to everyone from the 6 year old to the 9 year old to the adults.
on January 30, 2012
There isn't a book with this set, but my daughter loves to listen to these stories before she falls asleep. I love that she's relaxing in bed instead of doing other stuff while she should be trying to go to sleep. I always loved the frog and toad stories as a kid, and I love passing these stories down to my kids.
on December 28, 2013
I like the fact about the characters being a frog and a toad (not so commonly seen on kids books)... nice stories for being short stories.... I also like the gently way the author exposes more deep topics (such as procrastination) in a simple and interesting way!...

my little girl likes these very much, too! (3yrs)
on March 28, 2013
I love Frog and Toad, but my daughter isn't too into them. She prefers the Disney Princesses. I think the stories are great and the author does a good job reading them. My child will absolutely not go to bed without a few stories. This fits the bill if my husband is away while I am trying to juggle two kids at bedtime. Luckily for us, that doesn't happen very often.