Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 4, 2014
Overall after reading the book I was impressed with the theory of backlash that Klarman presents. I read this book for a graduate seminar and found it useful in my later research, but the writing the was unremarkable and quite humdrum at some points. I wont say that it was bad, because its not, but its not a leisure reading book either.
on February 5, 2014
I usually only have time to read on the subway to and from work, but with this book I found myself reading when I was supposed to be asleep, reading when I was supposed to cook dinner, and reading when I would usually check e-mails or play Candy Crush.

Focusing more directly on court cases and legislative battles, this book gives a pretty narrow view of the progress of gay rights in this country. I think that like any major movement LGBT rights has many stories to tell, and this is just one of them.

It's written in a way that pulls you into each part of the story and leads you right to the Supreme Court. At the time it was published, there were a lot of changes going on, such as Obama changing his stance on gay marriage. I felt like I could feel the pulse of the movement as it moved forward faster and faster through history.

I really enjoyed his writing style, as well as his choices in book structure. I was glad I read it on my Kindle because occasionally I had to search for a name to find where he first mentioned it. I think that has more to do with my poor name memory than his story order though.
on December 7, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. The author did a fantastic job of compiling the history of same-sex marriage, especially in regards to court decisions, without making it too complicated or boring. The author also did a great job in remaining neutral in the discussion. A very interesting, readable book.
Disclaimer: I received the Kindle book in exchange for my honest review.
on July 21, 2013
Klarman tells the story of the breathtaking social turn toward acceptance of gay marriage in the U.S. with his usual insight as a legal historian and social observer, and yet in clear prose accessible to all readers. Great book.
on May 30, 2015
A good overview of the history and social movement. Well researched, thoughtful yet concise. I recommend to all for an overview of the equality movement.