Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

From The Ground Up
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon January 25, 2013
'I made the heaven and earth
I made the stars above
Is it too much to ask for a little love'
Gawd Above

One listen to the voice of John Fullbright is enough to garner your attention, so you listen for more songs and more sounds. I have read that he is compared to Dylan, Tom Waits, Leon Russell and Randy Newman. Every song on this CD, 'From the Ground Up' gives us a different sound, a little change, a lilt here and there, but there is no mistaking the talent. The songs and the voice draws us in, and then we want to hear more, know more, understand what the lyrics mean. "[My family] had a little farm, about 80 acres -- that's where I live now. The little farmhouse that I was raised in until I was about 9, that's where the title for the CD came from," Fullbright says. "Every song on this record was written in that house, and I was kind of written in that house." NPR

John Fullbright's voice sounds like it comes from an old soul at times, and then you see his fresh face, that of a 25 year old. There is a sincere sureness to his voice, it draws us in and we listen closely to the lyrics and the melody. With the use of an acoustic guitar and a piano, he sets a mood and we follow it.

There are 12 songs on this CD, and everyone of these tunes is as good as the next one. I keep thinking this one is my favorite until I hear the next one. 'Daydreamer', 'Forgotten Flowers', 'Song For a Child', 'Gawd Above' , and 'Jericho' are the ones I listen to over as over. 'Me Wanting You' brings me the haunting sounds. 'Fat Man' brings the lilting sounds,the beat that goes on. All the tunes are winners, and John Fullbright with this CD is up for a Grammy.

John is from the same town as Woody Guthrie in Oklahoma, but even though John is a fan of the man, he is not a fan of the voice. Tom Waits is his kind of man. Americana music is a box that he is put into, but, really, he can sing anything that gives him an edge.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 01-25-13
on April 27, 2013
I first heard John Fullbright on "A Prairie Home Companion" on Sept. 29, 2012, performing his song, "Satan & St. Paul", he just literally punched me between the eyes with his talent, his voice and over-all sound I fell in love with his music instantly and have listened to him also on his website. He's a dynamite musician, no wonder he was nominated for a Grammy, (and opposite Bonnie Raitt!). He's on a level with my other most favorite singer/songwriters, Jackson Browne, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen. Excellent poetic style, with a wide range of genre, from folk to blues to gospel/country.
John Fulbright's album came to my attention via his Grammy nomination. While Bonnie Raitt won for her excellent Slipstream, Bonnie Raitt, Fullbright's CD blisters the wax with its originality, songcraft and the snarl in his singing. I keep flashing on when I first listened to John Prine's first CD and had my breath taken away by its gorgeous freshness. The set opens with Fullbright's rather cynical outlook on the Divine as the music pounds to a rocking beat, "Give 'em wine & song, fire & lust; When it all goes wrong, I'm the man to trust." "Satan and St. Paul" is so downright catchy that, as Greg Johnson in his liner points out, it makes you want to hit the repeat button, "And my cup it runneth over and it runs down in my eyes; Maybe when I'm a little older, I won't tell myself so many lies." "Daydreamer" is also a fine track that is about as far into pop as the set gets with Fullbright's band punching out the tune in fine fashion, "Dream me a bigger sky and I'll blow the rain away." "All the Time in the World," "Forgotten Flowers" & "Jericho" are also exceptional tracks. Fullbright's "From the Ground Up" is a set not to be missed. Enjoy!
on April 11, 2013
I love each and every song on this album. His voice is rich and full of emotion. He can make me cry or laugh or swoon with each different song. I am so happy to have discovered this great new artist. Can't wait till he puts out another album! He is EXTREMELY talented as a musician and singer and song-writer. An amazing young man who sings and writes WAY beyond his years. I would recommend this album to anyone, young or old. It is bluesy, folksy, and would even appeal to rock fans and gospel lovers.
on March 21, 2013
I love this music. I play it all the time. I just can't get enough. Every song is just so good I want to hear it over and over. Please, knock out another CD. I want more to listen to. Fantastic song writing, perfect presentation. But, John, keep it lean, don't let them overproduce it. I got hooked watching the youtube videos and was a bit disappointed at the back up on the CD. I really like the spare approach, just vocals and guitar, maybe one other person backing you up. Don't let them throw in violins and all that. Love the lyrics, your voice, the piano and guitar playing and especially the harmonica. Best music I've heard in a long time. Randy Newman would love the nod to his style. You're probably not into doing covers, but "If You Need Oil," has gone under the radar for years. I love your lyrics, Satan and St. Paul, Me Wanting You, and Jericho are so soul satisfying. Please, release more.
on March 19, 2014
I can't stop listening to this CD. I bought it months ago and chose not to review it, but it has turned into my "go to" music to sing along with, to feel, and to enjoy. Gawd Above, the opening track, is a big, full, emotional song that you will listen to over and over - but be sure to enjoy the contrast of Forgotten Flowers which is a hallmark broken heart poem. Another track, All the Time in the World, is both hopeful and sarcastic about love, education, work, materialism - all wrapped up in lyrics that I wish I could write. I can't believe that this is a first studio album and can't wait for more.
on December 15, 2014
Just saw this guy perform at the Red Dragon Listening Room in Baton Rouge, LA--and he is A-FREAKIN'-MAZING. Hard to believe so much talent can be in a 26-year-old man. He plays the piano, guitar, and harmonica like a BOSS, writes amazing songs with lyrics no one so young should be able to write, and sings like a seasoned veteran of soul. Hard to pin down his style...it's urban country, bluegrass, old-style rock-n-roll--depends on the song and his mood. Hands down my favorite CD. My favorite song on it is "All the Time in the World," but all of them are good. His newest CD, Songs, is great, too.
on August 1, 2015
Just bought another copy of this CD to send to a friend—I’ve bought easily a dozen or more because the world needs to hear this man’s music. He’s simply the best.

During the years I lived in Oklahoma I enjoyed many a show at Oklahoma City’s treasure: the Blue Door, run by Greg Johnson. John Fullbright emerged from the Blue Door like cream rising to the surface. He will go far.

Anything I could say has already been said by other reviewers here. All I’ll do is quote Bill Hicks: SHUT UP AND LISTEN!
on November 27, 2012
I've been a fan of John Fullbright since a friend played me his album "Live at the Blue Door." When I heard he was releasing this new album I ordered both the cd and vinyl. Each time I listen to the album, I'm repeatedly impressed with his deft songwriting ability. One of my favorite songwriters was known to say that a song should be able to exist wholly without music, that the lyrics themselves should be able to stand alone. That is true in the case of Mr. Fullbright. Which is not to say that his vocals and the instrumentation on the album are not also very noteworthy. The band as a whole does a great job with the album. Since I first heard John Fullbright, I've thought of him as a kind of well kept secret to which only a few of us were privy, I feel as though that is about to change. As it certainly should. If there is hope for modern music, we will be hearing a great deal more from this man.
on January 9, 2014
John Fullbright is an incredible song writer. This CD has the struggle of the Gangster Rap, the angst of Rock, and the heartbreak of the Blues. Every song sounds like its being played and sang from a jail cell... or the confinement of the open plains of Oklahoma. Listen.