Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 75 reviews
on January 11, 2014
As a southerner, many people who write about the south achieve "humor" by mocking/making fun of/characterizing southerners. I find them insulting and without any appreciation for the real feel of southerners. Atkins had me laughing out loud many times, often in recognition of the shared truthfulness of his observations. There is a saying about Southerners not hiding our insane relatives but proudly putting them on display, and Atkins manages to proudly put on display a variety of characters. Appealing, heart-stirring and a resonance to community and family ties that should appeal to anyone, no matter their geographic location. One of the most enjoyable books I have read in a while, and I read a lot.
on December 31, 2012
I'm from North Georgia where this book is set and The Front Porch Prophet is the unicorn (Bigfoot?) of a novel that I look for - one that evokes the region without, as a professor of mine once called it, "too much country store." The characters are colorful but realistic, nobody kicks a good dog, and the main character, A. J. Longstreet could just as well be my dad. Heck, the town, known if it's cotton mill "famous for its denim products and its abuse of the hired help" could be my town!

Atkins is a true Southern wordsmith, and my Kindle version of this book is well-highlighted with phrases that rang true, such as "Billy was an old country boy who had done extremely well for himself by adhering to the simple belief that every vehicle had some problem that could be repaired by Billy."

I highly recommend this book to North Georgians and anyone who has suspected that their Southern fiction is stuffed with a little too much country store.
on August 5, 2014
Raymond Atkins knows how to tell a good story. I know he is compared to Flannery O'Connor, but don't do that. As much as I admire Ms. O'Connor's work, Atkins brings something entirely different to the party. As a Southerner, I'm proud of his ability to notice our complexities, to show our capacity to love deeply and feel pain with such intensity, and to honor our determination to claim our lives on our own terms. And did I mention Atkins makes the reader laugh out loud at times? This is the third Raymond Atkins novel I've read. I sincerely hope he's working on a fourth.
on November 13, 2016
One of the best books ever written, and should be on every reader's shelf. I have purchased many for family and friends. This copy I bought for our local library, so everyone could read it. It is laugh out loud funny, poignant, honest, and one of the best statements of friendship ever put into print. I highly recommend it, and recommend you see to it that your local library has a copy.
on June 30, 2013
Mr Akins has the voice of the people who populate Sequoya Georgia. There are other reviews here that pretty much outline the story so I won't go there. The story of the loss of AJ's mother and the effect on his father, John Robert, touched me from the start. Try it.
on February 11, 2015
I read this for book club this month and enjoyed the stories that were woven to illuninate the characters. They helped me to get to know them as real people living their lives in Georgia. I particularly loved the gentleness of A.J. and his love for the people in his life. And the way he respected the wishes of his brother at the end letting him die with dignity and love yet showing how difficult it to was for him to act on those wishes. We all agreed it was a good story.
on March 16, 2015
This book was a barrel full of fun but also poignant and sad. Being raised in a small, midwestern town, I especially related to the men in the story. Many of the shenanigans they got into reminded me of stories my dad told me about him and his brothers. LOVED the name of the local eatery! Atkins in a great writer. I also really enjoyed Sorrow Wood. Check him out!
on February 3, 2017
The character development is marvelous. I loved these people with all of their faults and virtues. The originality of the people held me throughout the book. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
on August 18, 2016
It took me a long time to read the book because I just couldn't get into it. It failed to keep my attention for most of the book. I kept putting it down. But I'm glad I finished it. I liked the ending.
on January 3, 2017
I enjoy reading Raymond's style of writing.
His characters are missed when you finish his stories.
I look forward to reading his next book!