Frontier Co-op Bay Leaf Whole, Hand Select, Certified Organic, Kosher, Non-irradiated | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Laurus nobilis L.
|Ingredients||Organic bay leaves|
About this item
- BAY LEAF - Frontier Co-op Whole Organic Bay Leaf (Laurus nobilis) is an essential ingredient in many soups, stews, braises, and pâtés. There are no artificial additives or chemicals used at any step of the growing process.
- A VERSATILE INGREDIENT - Bay leaf is typically used to season long-cooking dishes like soups, stews and braises, but it can also enhance the flavor of quicker-cooking dishes such as pasta sauces, or even a simple pot of rice. Bay leaves can also be added to baths or used in DIY skin creams.
- FLAVORFUL AND AROMATIC - Bay leaf is known for its sweet, balsamic scent and bitter/spicy bite. The leaves are at their most flavorful a few weeks after drying.
- ORGANIC FROM TURKEY - Frontier Co-op Organic Bay Leaf is grown and processed in Turkey. This product is kosher and certified organic.
- ABOUT US - Owned by stores and organizations that buy and sell our products, Frontier Co-op has been a member-owned cooperative since 1976. We support natural-living and our products are never irradiated or treated with ETO. We're committed to the health and welfare of the environment and everyone producing and consuming our botanical products.
More items to explore
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Frontier Co-op Whole Organic Bay Leaf is a versatile and fragrant botanical from the Mediterranean region. It’s an aromatic leaf commonly used in cooking and teas, as well as DIY projects such as lotions and scented baths.
Best Uses: Add bay leaf to soups, stews, and teas. This product can also be used in skin care and baths.
- 1 pound bulk bag (16 ounces)
- Hand-select high quality whole dried bay leaf; non-irradiated
- USDA organic certified and kosher certified
- Botanical name: Laurus nobilis
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Originated in Turkey
- Caffeine Free
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Product Dimensions : 10 x 16 x 16 inches; 1.6 Ounces
- Item model number : 89836003577
- UPC : 778894025156 089836003577
- Manufacturer : Frontier Co-op
- ASIN : B001VNGMMK
Best Sellers Rank:
#41,541 in Grocery & Gourmet Food (See Top 100 in Grocery & Gourmet Food)
- #23 in Bay Leaf
- Customer Reviews:
This product is labelled to United States standards and may differ from similar products sold elsewhere in its ingredients, labeling and allergen warnings
Organic bay leaves
Add one or two leaves to a dishes of six servings -- add to water when stewing chicken or poaching fish, or while cooking soups, stews, or gravies. Bay leaf should be added early on, because it takes a while for its flavor to permeate the food. And be sure to remove the leaves before serving; they're sharp and can be dangerous if accidentally swallowed.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.
Statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Once I opened the bag there was a nice strong aroma from the leaves. Very pleased with that.
Now once I pulled my first handful out, I became very displeased about the quality!! The leaves are extremely damaged due to improper gardening. The black spots all over the leaves are usually caused by mites or other insects that infested the plants during their growth period. Many of the leaves have a browning on them because they were not harvested in time. This overall makes me question the expertise and quality of the company.
There are a ton of leaves of all shapes and sizes in the bag. Most are either broken, damaged by insects, or not harvested on time.
I suggest ordering from a different company.
I think the reason people have said they have broken leaves is because leaves are in a large silver bag and like potato chips if you crush the bag you will have broken chips, so maybe they were mishandled. Broken leaves would be great for steaming for health benefits.
Let's break it down. I received 16 oz of bay leaves for $16.54 sold by Amazon LLC, so about a buck per ounce. I sorted them all, and figured it had about 5-10% of picture perfect ideal leaves, another 20-25% of like B-grade leaves (small imperfections, insignificant insect damage or with broken small part), that's what I kept. And then about 70% of bag was not good by my standards - too brown, too broken or too eaten by bugs. As a result, I kept 5 oz (I put in on scale) of good and excellent quality leaves, so $3.30 per oz. Local supermarket sells bay leaves in little tins with 0.13 oz product weight for $2.99, so $23 per oz, or 7 times more expensive!
Now it's up to you, sorting may be annoying, but you pay 7 times cheaper and get good quality leaves.
Edit: I can add photos now. White trash bag has leaves I didn't keep. Plastic container has high quality leaves I decided to keep.
Someone told me a little known tidbit. Y'know if you frequent health food stores, a popular air freshener is sage. They sell little clumps that you can light with a match or a stove flame, and they make billows of smoke that smell wonderful. Well, I am no fan of refinishing grimy kitchens or bathrooms, so billowing clouds of smoke do not appeal much to me. But if you hold a bayleaf over a flame, it will burn momentarily and make just a tiny wisp of smoke then go out. But it scents the whole room. It's like a purifier.
More to consider from our brands
Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.