Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 57 reviews
on February 17, 2015
Very interesting book and I could not put it down especially since I live in Scottsdale, Az and live pretty close this scary place. In this book you learn of this one mans experience at Alcor. But even more, you learn about this entire cultic world of cryonics and their mantras and beliefs. It is down right scary stuff and you have to ask yourself if these people are even sane. Explore the world of cryonics and the personalities that make this stuff even more out there. Its ridiculously interesting and I actually believe the author and his experiences. Just read it, it will freak you out!! This is not widely known stuff.
on September 3, 2012
Hello, I just finished reading this book and I am glad I did.
The book is not so much about cryonics itself as it is about the shocking practices that occur in this unregulated scientific endevour. Murder, conspiracy, death threats all make for an interesting read.
It is told in a anecdotal format, it is easy to read and well laid out. As a 'whistle blower' story it also has a few pictures and photocopies of evidence taken. It also talks about Ted Williams who I never knew of until this book. If you do not believe or follow or never even heard of cryonics it is still with the read.

I myself believe in the merit of cryonics, but this tale sacres me to think of what really goes on behind close doors.
A thing to note is this book does not discourage your belief in the science of cryonics. But it does address serious issues around it. I feel amazed and I nieve after reading this book. I will research alot more in the future.

After you have read the book I hope you will book I agree with Larry(the protaginist)as I do- that this is an industry that should be regalted, investigated and hopefully purged of the corruption.

I hope this review helps your decision.
[...]
This book is reccomended.
on July 1, 2012
First of all I want to warn anyone looking through the reviews to see if they should purchase this book. Many if not all of the very negative reviews are from Alcorians. Even the review "Im the nurse I was there" has issues. The nurse claims to be there but in later comments on his review he denies any knowledge of the case.

I am not affiliated with any cryonics organization or Larry Johnson, just someone who is interested in Alcor and the world of cryonics. So far, I have been able to fact check many of the statements in Larry's book and the only people I have been able to catch in a lie is alcor. For example, on 7/19/10 Charles Platt posted a denial of information contained in the book on Cryonet, he denies the existence of a patient named Randall Robertson who is a musician. Alcor's own website has information in regards to this patient. Charles also denies knowledge of drugs found in Dora Kent's bone marrow- which is not possible if they were given after her death. There are several newspaper articles from the time which directly contradict his statement. For someone who is so devoted to cryonics and Alcor, he sure doesn't pay attention to what's going on.

I have no doubt that the majority of Larry's book is true. The only things I do question are the timeline and the actual conversations that took place. Charles may not have given him some of the information he is credited to have, but the facts still remain the same. I am looking forward to finishing this book and continuing to fact check.

Right now the one question I am left with is: Why is Alcor so upset about this book if according to them "none of it is true"? Doesnt make sense to me, that an organization would go so far to ruin someones life over something they view as fiction. Right there it should be enough to tell you that Alcor is hiding some dark secrets, many of which may not even be a part of Larry's book.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2015
Alcor has not adequately addressed these accusations--cancel your contract, or better yet, don't start one. After reading this book you'll think Alcor is amateurish at best, likely law-breaking, and quite possibly murderous and cultish.
on April 27, 2013
Found this boring. Not quite what I expected. However, other family members did enjoy it. Was a lot of money for not being the entire family entertainment.
on October 7, 2009
You know, the one you claim Arizona businessman David Pizer runs which kidnaps and murders people. For some reason the Wall Street Journal reporter Antonio Regalado failed to mention that aspect of Pizer's business when he profiled Pizer and other wealthy cryonicists in his article, "A Cold Calculus Leads Cryonauts To Put Assets on Ice," published Jan. 21, 2006.
on January 17, 2013
While I can only relate the details of the purchase in terms of the condition of the book, as the seller is not the writer or otherwise connected with the publishing, I felt great about the purchase price, the shipping cost, and I was thrilled to find it on my porch! I am not even 1/3rd of the way into the book, and I am totally engrossed. Even knowing the story is widely debunked, and very biased in it's depiction of cryonic life preservation, I find the story compelling. It is still a very interesting story, and I was lucky to find such an inexpensive copy with reasonable shipping, sent out promptly and in the exact great condition as was promised.
on June 13, 2010
I thought this would be an interesting read, I have read about Cryonics in the past and thought it was a very interesting concept. I also thought it would be neat to read about whatever happened to Ted William's frozen head. As a Yankee fans, Williams head has always been a side joke with Red Sox fans.

Anyway, Larry Johnson had a good idea for a book but it just came off very badly. I have no stake in Alcor or anything to do with Cryonics so I could really careless whatever happens with Johnson and Alcor. I know there were some court orders and whatnot regarding this book and its release. In my opinion Johnson just came across like a disgruntled ex-employee who painted a very negative picture of all of his former colleagues and always found a way to paint himself as being heroic and he went on a quest to do the right thing for America..going undercover to investigate those naughty Alcor people..blah blah blah Maybe what Johnson reported in his book is true but he just loses credibility by being so negative. Bottom line is the book just read like someone trying to write a negative piece to make a few bucks.
on January 3, 2011
I had read a few quotes from this book in a Sports Illustrated article about Ted Williams. I had some interest in what supposedly happened to him as well as what these cryogenic people though they could do. This would be a great book club book; it opens up a lot of discussion. If it could work, where is your soul while you are frozen, and are you stuck in a dream/nightmare, while you are frozen. It made me want to research if people that came out of comas, recalled dreams or thoughts when they were out. The guy that wrote it is being sued. Somethings may be exagerated, but it definitely had a ring of truth to it.
on October 22, 2009
Johnson has really just condensed into narrative form what anyone could glean from reading the cryonet archives; and honestly, I doubt many people other than the Heavily Emotionally Invested in Cryonics could stomach a large dose of those postings. But if they could, it's all there, spread over decades of unbelievably childish feuding, astonishingly naive pseudo-science, and enough neuroses to delight and amaze anyone interested in the deviant psychology of the ultra-lonely. Monomaniacal claims of godlike superiority are followed by schoolyardish taunts on the level of "nanny, nanny boo-boo." But the facts that exist within the weirdness are there, too: the death of Dora Kent, the mistakes, the slipshod procedures, the fights over finances, the Chatsworth debacle, the bizarre personalities. Between cryonet and Alcor's home site, the cryonicists have revealed their history, their problems and their truly amazing inability to see the picture they have painted of themselves. Bottom line: after doing even minimal research, most people would probably conclude that you'd have to have several screws loose to put yourself, dead or alive, in the hands of these garage-science-fair misfits. (Disclaimer: I like geeks, nerds, and misfits. It's people who cheat or murder other people that I have a problem with.) So why does Alcor have any customers at all? Because a small proportion of the gen pop does indeed have that many screws loose.

Johnson does raise the question "Is what Alcor does ethical?" And I think it's a legitimate question, one that Alcor should not resent, if its practices are indeed ethical. Judging less by his book than by cryonet's and Alcor's own revelations, I think there's enough question about whether Dora Kent was murdered for the matter to have been brought to trial, and it's an injustice that it never was. That Alcor markets its 'services' deceptively is a no-brainer, again thanks less to Johnson than to Alcor's own website with its video, which offers prospective buyers "more time!" That it charges too much and uses pressure tactics, and then badly mismanages what money it has hoodwinked from the ignorant, ditto and double ditto.

Is Johnson's book interesting and readable? Yes - mostly as Grand Guignol theater. Readers will be waiting for the gruesome parts, because the narrative itself is inconsistent. While alerting us to how strange the Alcorians are, Johnson doesn't adequately explain why he actually took the job with them. He claims to have done some research online before visiting and accepting; I don't know how he could have done this without being alarmed right off the bat.

Is he a praiseworthy whistleblower? About the state of cryonics as practiced today, no; most people never seriously consider it, and the few (like me) who were interested enough to research it are informed by the cryonicists themselves, on their own sites, about what a mess it is. About the Ted Williams fiasco -- no; again, most of the information was out there and Johnson's tabloidy 'expose' about the notes of the 'procedure' is just more sensationalism.

But about Dora Kent's death - yes. This should still be investigated. About Alcor's marketing and financial practices - to a lesser degree, yes, but the vast majority of people aren't being taken in by it to begin with. I was more concerned by Johnson's revelation about his fellow paramedic going on emergency calls to render critical aid to living people, while so hungover that he needed to medicate himself with oxygen and an IV. Now there's a situation that affects living people; blow the whistle on that one next time, Mr. Johnson.

And if you're going to go on and on about respect for the dignity of human remains, and simultaneously publish a ghoulish photo of someone who probably didn't give her consent for its use and definitely can't do anything about it now, you've made yourself look pretty hypocritical.