Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 465 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 503 reviews
on February 17, 2014
This book is a mixed bag of emotions for me, but I gave it four stars because the music is excellent and I know that I will get use out of the book. Features 11 songs from the movie (listed in other reviews).

Pros:
-The book itself is beautiful, including several pages of artwork from the movie.
-The music is represented fairly well, sounding a lot like it does in the movie and on the soundtrack.
-There are some tricky parts, but overall I would say the music is very playable for advanced and intermediate pianists. (I've been playing for 18 years.)
-Songs are represented as they are on the soundtrack with full musical interludes.
-Most of the vocal harmonies are written out, with the exception of some of the more challenging parts of "Fixer Upper," but those harmonies are most likely what is given in the piano part.

Cons:
-Melody is doubled in the piano part. This is a BIG negative for me because I do a lot of singing and performing, so I prefer to have the piano accompaniment. This also makes some of the songs harder to play than they should be because you are trying to catch rhythms from the vocal line instead of focusing on (usually) more simplistic/repetitive phrases in the accompaniment.
-This is super nit-picky, but there is a "D.S. al Coda" in "Let It Go." I realize that these are used to save ink/pages in printing, but to me this makes the song harder to play because you're dealing with extra page turns back and forth, trying to find where you are in the music, instead of simply being able to move forward. This also uniforms how all of the choruses sound in the song, whereas in the movie the first chorus is more delicate and it becomes more powerful each time you come back to the repeated phrase. I am really picking on this because this was the song I most looked forward to playing, and it wasn't what I was hoping for.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my purchase, but there are things I'm left wanting. If you're looking to use this book for piano solos or to accompany younger children it is the perfect product for you. Even if you are a more mature performer that prefers the piano accompaniment (like me), this is a cheaper solution that buying each song individually on a site like MusicNotes, and if you have an experienced pianist, they will be able to fill out the accompaniment by using the chords given for the guitar.
99 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2014
I bought two of Frozen music books what look very much alike: this one and Frozen: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack (Piano/Vocal/Guitar) (Piano, Vocal, Guitar Songbook)[ASIN:1480368199]. Big Note book has large staff, easy to read notes and words, they really simplified it that child with 3 years of experience could play it. Why did I give it 3 stars versus 5? In order to make it simple they changed tonality in each and every song that it is two keys higher then original songs (you can find original songs in Frozen: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack). For example, the famous original Let It Go is written in F minor and has 4 flats, but in Big Note it is in A minor with no flats and instead of F-G-flat A "Let it Go" goes A-B-C. Why is not it great? My 6 year old immediately said: it does not sound right. I tried for her all the songs in this book and every time she commented: no, it's just not right. Said apart from it, she could play it next year after hard training (so far she has only two full years of experience) and no way she would be able to deal with Frozen: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack, the last one is for teachers or older children with higher then medium experience.
P.S. According to our music teacher, depending on age group Big Note requires 2.5-4 years of experience and Frozen: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack requires 4-5 years.
on May 29, 2014
My son begged me to get the music even though I told him it was too hard. He wanted to play Frozen Heart. He is six and has only been taking for ten months. I bought it and showed his teacher and she said he could do it for a recital if he practiced hard. She said it was way above his level but she knew he could do it because he practices hard. It has been about a month and a half and he just about has it down. It took a lot if practice with either me or my husband sitting by him each time. I wouldn't recommend it with less than a year of piano unless you want to spend a lot of time practicing. It is probably good for three years experience. It doesn't sound exactly like the movie but that is expected for something simplified.
on March 23, 2014
perfect gift for a 7 year old with over 1 year of piano lessens. Easy to read notes to play
on March 29, 2014
A bit above the ability of our 2nd-year piano student daughter (who actually practices), but she is able to get through some of the songs as she is already familiar with them.
on May 28, 2014
I am a piano and voice teacher and the pianists and singers alike LOVE this book. In January, the kids were proactive, finding arrangements of these songs online, and I was so happy to find this book. While this music is difficult for beginners because of the changing hand positions these songs require, the arrangements in this book are as beginner friendly as it gets. Great job, Lopez duo!
on December 18, 2014
I played piano for years and even though it's been a while, I still was challenged by this book! It says it's the easy version but I would venture to guess that it would be comfortable for someone who has played for 2-3 years at least. It's definitely not suitable for beginners. That said, my kids enjoyed reading the lyrics, and the songs are deifnitely true to the movie versions.
on January 29, 2014
Songs are about intermediate level. As usual with Disney PVG the notation is easy to read and the book is filled with full color illustrations. I wish the Demi Lovato version of Let it Go was also included in this book, but the inclusion of Vuelie and Heimr Arnadalr are a nice substitute.

Do You Want To Build A Snowman?
Fixer Upper
For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)
For The First Time In Forever
Frozen Heart
Heimr Arnadalr
In Summer
Let It Go
Love Is An Open Door
Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
Vuelie
66 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2014
(*I have been playing piano since I was seven. Studied piano pedagogy and performance in college. BA in music. Now primarily a stay-at-home mom, but I still play often, teach piano, play and sing in choirs, play for church, and at my kids' school.*)

My 8-yr-old daughter's school talent show is coming up. She likes to sing and I play piano for her each year, so we've been keeping an eye out all year long for a good song...and then Frozen happened! We got the music 3 weeks ago. Many of the songs are challenging at first, but not too hard to get the hang of after careful practice. The rhythms are complex if you are going to play the songs note for note, but once you get the hang of it, they are really fun to play. "For the First Time in Forever" is an especially fun piano arrangement. It is up-tempo, with driving rhythms and melodies. I'm trying to convince my daughter that this would be a great choice for the talent show, because the piano arrangement sounds so great. She, of course, wants to sing "Let it Go", which is great too. The movie performance uses a lot of piano, so a lot of the sheet music arrangement sounds like the real thing, like the intro, and the transition from the first chorus to the second verse. The interlude in "Let it Go" where Elsa is building her ice castle is great, too. There is an off-beat emphasis in the LH that is tricky to coordinate against the RH, but again, once you have the hang of it it is very fun. The piano part follows the melody basically note-for-note, which is great if you're playing it as a solo, or with a singer who is not confident with the melody yet, but I might go on musicnotes.com to get a more traditional piano/vocal arrangement of a few of our favorites, where the singer sings the melody and the piano just accompanies.

I am very impressed by the quality of this music, even for Disney. Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez did an amazing job writing the music and lyrics. I can't wait until they get this one on Broadway. I think it will be incredible!
on July 15, 2014
My daughter loves this book. So far she's learned "Let It Go" and "Love is an Open Door." Allowing her to learn songs that she loves keeps her motivated. She doesn't mind that the music sounds a bit different from the actual movie because the songs sound close enough, and she understands that there can be different variations of the same songs. I read other reviewers say that someone with about 3 years of experience can play the music comfortably, but my daughter is only *almost* 5 years old with 11 months of lessons, so I'm not really sure what level Big Note books are intended for. Perhaps she just has a knack for piano, but I think this book works well for a beginner.