Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Frozen Pancakes and Fake Lashes: One imperfect woman's quest for peace, balance ... and maternal mojo
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on January 20, 2008
It is 1 a.m. on (I guess now) Monday morning. I went to work today. Did a few chores and sat down to start this book at about 7 p.m., thinking I would read the beginning tonight and finish throughout the week. But as it turns out I devoured these frozen pancakes in one sitting! I read a lot and I have never written a review on Amazon before, but I felt compelled to let everyone know how much I really enjoyed the story. As a non-Mom I was a little concerned that I wouldn't completely relate to "Mommy lit," but I was amused and touched by Angela's story.

Ms. Mak's writing is descriptive yet concise, crisp yet breezy all at the same time. There wasn't a false note in the entire book. I highly recommend this book to anyone, male or female, single or married, parent or non-parent who enjoys great literature.
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2008
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a mom, finding time to read a complicated book isn't an option. That's why I enjoyed G. Pearl Mak's book, Frozen Pancakes and Fake Lashes. The pages seemed to flow with progress that seemed both real and interesting.

She managed to nail many areas of motherhood and careers, including the emotionally charged thoughts that few of us feel comfortable to voice. She details a sucessful career with no thoughts of children lurched into motherhood with no idea of what to do. And ends up showing the up and downsides to breast feeding her baby exclusively for over 3 months, working to achieve career status, maintaining a relationship with her husband and essentially trying to do it all and struggling to keep a happy smile on her face.

You don't pity the main character, you identify with her. There were parts where I heard my own voice in arguments with my husband. Parts during my own pregnancy where I worried excessively about my body, my career, my life.

Best of all the author manages to sucessfully bring in the lives of a best friend, co-workers, a boss and a few college friends, so that it isn't entirely about one mom with one baby, husband and career. I wasn't bored!

Certainly a good choice of books to read whether you have gone through or are going through becoming a parent with a career.
on January 15, 2008
The title grabbed me and when I started reading this novel, I was completely entertained and just couldn't put it down. The heroine of this book takes you through the ups and downs of being a successful career woman turned struggling mother juggling career and baby. It has hysterical depictions of what all women feel they become after they give birth - sexless, unattractive, nursemaids. The "best friend" Louise's flirtation with cheating is a great way for the reader to live vicariously through fiction. Overall, it is a great book to remind all women, that being a mom is an addition to what we were before - successful, sexy, gorgeous, women! You can bet I am looking for the eyelash lady!!!! Who couldn't use a mojo boost?
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2008
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Welcome to the nitty gritty mess of motherhood. When you're expecting a child, no one bothers to tell you the mess it makes of your life! This is what Angela Moore, a lawyer on a fast-track to making partner in the next year, found out when she got pregnant. This pregnancy wasn't planned. First morning sickness threw her off course as she found herself in the bathroom more times than in her office. Then her weight ballooned. This wasn't what she bargained for especially since she and her husband, Collin could barely afford the lifestyle they live in ... with massive student loans, a computer business barely taking off the ground and crammed into a tiny house with no room for a child.

Everyone else though was happy for the young couple but Angela just couldn't fake her happiness as she really did not want to have a child ... until after a grueling labor, she meets her daughter. And falls in love ... total, utter love.

This is a hilarious book. The author didn't pull any punches in this book. If you're a first time mother, I would not recommend reading this book until after your child is born. The section on the labor pains is pretty brutal and though I had a c-section with my twins, I can imagine the pain Angela went through. I could nit-pick and ask why that high-price law firm didn't have a day care center there so Angela wouldn't have to drive home three or four times a day to nurse her baby since her baby wouldn't take formula or a bottle. And the stereotypical rich best friend falling for a celebrity trainer ... the husband's hurt pride since the baby rejected his loving advances to take care of her ... and on and on.

The emotions that Angela went through as a first time mother having to leave her child behind while she goes to work and support a family that needs her income ... is definitely relatable. The agony she suffered trying to find a solution to Emma's lack of interest in taking anything but the breast ... is comical but definitely relatable as any first time mom would know. This book, while funny, is definitely a journey that every mother experiences after the birth of her first child and trying to reclaim the center of their lives while juggling all the extra things that they have to do while raising a baby.

I would recommend this book to anyone who just had a baby or for anyone who might want to relive those early days ... and be glad that their pregnancy days are over. It is a fun book and it did make me laugh out loud in places. Pick it up today and enjoy it!

10/4/08
on May 22, 2008
When I bought the book, the title in itself was catchy, but then getting into the contents was amazing. I took this book on vacation for lite reading thinking that it would last me 5 days, but I was wrong. I could not put it down and after a few hours I had nothing else to read!! I found the author to have the perfect balance of detail without getting bogged down in one scene. the language and fluidity of the book remarkable!!
Its contents were right on. being a full time working mom, I found that I could definitely identify with her trials and tribulations of trying to balance work and family life!!
as women we want to do it all, and when we must choose we are ridden with guilt because we feel that we have failed. the author was able to put all of our inner struggles into perspective!!!
A must read for all us working mom and non working moms!!!
on July 1, 2008
I'm a mother of two and working full-time. I don't have time for anything else let alone "me" time. I can't remember the last time I read a book. My friend, also a working mother read this book and totally fell in love with it. She encouraged me to take some "me" time and promised that I won't regret it.

She was right. I was only going to flipped through a few pages thinking "I don't have time for this" but in that sitting I read half the book. I put my kids and husband on hold and locked myself in the bedroom. It was easy to get lost in the story and find yourself easily relating to character. The book was entertaining, relatable and a joy to pass my valuable time with. I recommend this book to every mother and future mothers out there. You won't regret it. What's wrong with frozen pancakes anyway???
on February 20, 2008
"Frozen Pancakes and Fake Lashes was a truly delightful book. My daughter gave this book to me to read as I recovered from surgery. It certainly took my mind off my recovery. As with the other reviews, once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. What a refreshing and authentic look at a first time pregnancy and birth. Ms. Mak has captured the struggles of career and motherhood with a great balance of candor and comedy. Most new parents can relate to the experiences of Angela and Collin, not to mention Emma. As most of us can attest, a newborn brings changes to our lives that we never thought were possible. Take the time to read this book. You'll be glad you did!!"
on January 18, 2008
The title alone sold me... What a wonderful and refreshing read to bring all lack-luster moms out of our funks! The main character, Angela, hits so close to home as she struggles to deal with the trials of being a successful bread winner, nurturing mom, and maintain the sexual interests of her husband after having a baby. Amusing twists and turns of the story line continue to keep the reader's interest at peak. There is something in the novel for everyone to love - even my husband read it and gave it two thumbs up! Bravo to the author - for making her readers feel it is NOT a sin to serve frozen pancakes!
on June 26, 2008
Oh how I remember those days of juggling between being a mommy, wife and having a full-time career! I loved (and could relate to) Angela's character and felt Ms. Mak truly did an incredible job of bringing this story to life. So curl up on the sofa with this delightful book, perhaps a nice glass of wine and enjoy Angela's journey!
on February 13, 2008
What a great read! Any woman who has tried to juggle a job, home, husband, and a newborn will relate to this hysterical look at Angela's life! Enjoy!