BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

19,781
Frozen [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on August 10, 2014
For a movie made by coldblooded machines, not artists, it isn't that bad. It looks pristine, the colors are alarmingly bright, the images stunningly perfect, flawless, impersonal, frosty, entirely without the human element, exactly what you'd expect from a computer. I do like this movie; it's just that I grew up watching Disney animation done by genuine artists. Somehow, they were more relatable, more personal, real. CGI movies tend to look plastic, mass produced, cold.
I gave it an A - because it is practically perfect. My favorite characters are Olaf and Sven. My least favorite character is the Duke of Weselton (an unnecessary villain relegated to a couple of scenes as plot demands); his presence feels arbitrary. I'm also not crazy about the Disney people continuing with that alarming practice of making movies that kill off one or both parents. At this point, it feels like an agenda. It's also more than a little weird that the story promotes isolationism and that children who are deemed different should hide their differences, conceal don't feel. Neither are particularly healthy views worth promoting.
I loved the music so I had to buy the CD.
This film has a lot of charm and humor to offset that it is overly girly and not a little grisly (the humongous snow monster and the duplicitous Hans).
on April 11, 2016
My daughter LOVES this movie. And I should say, if you have kids, you know how they watch movies they like over and over and over again until the tape wears out or the dvd player gives out. So as a parent, I know what I look for in a movie. Do I want to watch this one billion and a half times. Well, I've watched this twice that much and I'm still ok with it. Am I tired of it? Of course I am. But do I still occasionally laugh at it still and enjoy watching my daughter sing along and dance with it, you bet your icey behind I do. Great movie to own. Period.

This product was provided to me at a discount in exchange for my honest review. Which means, this opinion is 100% my own and not the result of a head injury or alien mind control. Though I got a great deal, I'm not beholden to anyone to write an awesome review. I was in no way compensated for what you have just read. I pride myself in being as honest and as objective as possible. I want to assure you that I've tested this product out thoroughly and everything I write in my reviews, be it good or bad, is my 100% honest opinion about the product. No animals were harmed in the making of this review. If you like my review, I like you back. If you want me to like you even more or if my review saved your life or your marriage or something cool like that, feel free to click the little button saying my review was helpful. Thank you. @Chyld
on March 21, 2014
When I heard all the hype about Frozen I was really looking forward to seeing the movie. Circumstances lept me out of the theater, but I pre-ordered the Blu-ray and DVD set from Amazon and watched it when it arrived at my home. The set itself is exactly waht you would expect. . . a nice case with a couple of discs inside. The movie has many of hte hallmarks of a typiucal Disney animated film (I won't spoil the plot here), but I didn't find it to be as moving or poigniant as many have been in the past. All I will say about the plot is that it seems to pick up on three or four common Disney themes (sacrifice for the common good, sibling bonds, ugly duckling love interests where the "rough around the edges" guy turns out to be "the one"), but it doesn't really break any new ground.

The setting is excellent, and the attention to detail in things like clothing, the animations of snow and ice and the aurora borealis make the move really visually stunning at times. The characters range from serious to goofy and there are a good number of puns and gags that made me laugh. The music was also a little disappointing. The excellent song "Let It Go" is featured prominently, but the rest of the songs carry much less intesity and seem to disappear by the midway point of the film. The second half has far fewer songs. I doubt that many people will find themselves humming other songs from the film after a couple of viewings.

Overall, I think four stars is fair based on my view of the excellent technical merit of the animation, which is hampered to some extent by a plot that seemed thin and not overly original and musical content that relies too much on one stand-out song to carry through an entire feature.
on April 26, 2014
Excellent movie, lots of fun. A slight departure from Disney's normal princess movie...

If you pay attention, you will notice the same theme applies to EVERYTHING in the movie - Elsa's frozen heart is the subject of all of the songs, right from the beginning, the main focal point of the whole movie. Not intended to be a spoiler, but even Olaf and Marshmallow are the personifications of the two opposing sentiments in Elsa's heart..."i like warm hugs" - something she could not do but longed and ached for, and "go away and never come back" - something she felt she had to do to protect everyone else ("go away Anna" in the snowman song).

The interesting hidden part of the movie is that it exposes that Anna had a frozen heart too - which comes out eventually ("why are you always shutting everyone out?"). Her bitterness toward her sister at being shut out is subtle, but visible, and fits very well into the whole movie theme.

I think the movie also gives a balanced view of the parents - loving, caring, unsure of what to do, and fairly exposes that maybe they didn't handle things right, but without making them look like either buffoons or ogres.

I only wish they had an additional 30 seconds, maybe a minute, of interaction between the sisters at the climax near the end of the movie. A few more seconds of Elsa coming to grips with what the meaning of the act of love was, what love really was for that matter, and what that meant for her to be able to let people in again (since they spent so much time showing you how she was scared and kept people out)...just for balance...would have made this movie perfect.
on September 5, 2015
A great kids film that the parents won't mind sitting through. A nice change from the typical Disney film where the girl gets a boyfriend. For once it is (Idina Menzel) the love of family that saves her. For once the girl is not a damsel in distress but the queen. Born with magical powers of snow and ice Elsa accidentally hurts her sister Anna (Kristen Bell) and fears herself. Loosing her parents when their ship sinks, Else hides who she is when her secret is revealed she turns he kingdom into the Arctic and it is up to her sister to bring her back before her kingdom is stolen. Anna is aided by a reindeer named Sven, Kristoff and everyone's favorite snowman Olaf.
on April 4, 2014
Frozen is Disney at it's best. It's been a few years and I'm glad to see the studio going back to what works well for them. Why did they stop putting great music into their animated films? I won't go over the plot, many good reviews have already done that. I will say, (especially with my Blu-ray copy), the picture is clear and wonderful to look at. The computer animation is dazzling. The story is a great change of pace. It's the story about the bond between two sisters and the love they have for each other. In addition, these two women aren't your typical Disney "Damsels in Distress." They may make a few poor choices, but in the end, they aren't the victims but actually the heroes. And for once, the message isn't that you have to find your prince, but that you can do whatever you wish to, (with a little hard work) and be who you are. It's a simple message and a great one, all wrapped up in a magical, musical, visually stunning package. Don't worry about the hype, it's a fun movie and a great ride!
on June 11, 2016
Like most people who will probably buy this movie, I have a 2-year old daughter who will not shut up about Frozen. We ended up renting this movie so many times on Amazon, we could have bought it twice over already, so we finally did. Amazon's streaming quality is more than acceptable, it's easy to access in a flash for parents like us and play over and over and over and over again.

To be honest, I'm surprised the suggested pairings to this movie aren't a pair of earplugs. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story. We've just seen it about 5,000 times now. But...the toddler digs it and it doesn't drive my 8-year old son crazy. Win-win. If we had bought stock in this movie, I probably could have retired comfortably this year just from our rentals alone...
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2013
***Mild, unintentional spoilers always possible when rambling, ranting, or raving***

Since it's snowing furiously outside, I guess it's a good time to review this movie.
Poster art: 3 stars - slightly misleading since it's really the story Elsa and Anna's story and the poster features Olaf (the snowman) a central spot.
Story: 4 stars
Story twists: 5 stars
Animation: 5 stars
Voice Cast: 5 stars (Idina Menzel does a wonderful job voicing Elsa, but so does the rest of the cast in their roles. Incidentally, as one of my friends pointed out, there are parallels between Elsa and Elphaba - from Wicked)
Character development: 3.5 stars
Characters: Princess Elsa (5 Stars), Princess Anna (5 Stars), Prince Hans (4 stars), Kristoff (sorry, not sure about spelling 4 stars), Olaf (3.5 stars, he's goffy comic relief), Sven (the reindeer, 4.5 stars)
Songs: Most of the songs were just all right, but "Let it Go" was amazing and I liked how they used the "Do you want to build a snowman" song to cover the passage of time as the girls grow up.

Story synopsis: Princess Elsa and Princess Anna were once best buddies, but a tragic, childhood accident forces Elsa to shut her sister out of her life for fear of hurting her again. When their parents die Disney style, both sisters suffer the loss feeling more alone. Three years later, after the coronation ceremony, a dispute/ misunderstanding leads Elsa to run away, inadvertently plunging the kingdom into a never-ending winter. Now it's up to Anna to find her sister and beg her to bring back summer weather.

Short review: Overall, it's a wonderful modern Disney movie. You're going to get some wonderful songs as well as some weird, awkward, uncessary songs - they're thankfully relatively short. The animation of the demonstration of Elsa's powers was suitably amazing.

(As with all things, you could totally read more into it. It's actually not a great movie for parenting advice. Elsa's got this amazing ability to turn things into snow and ice and they're answer is to hide the ability and basiclaly lock the kid away for years. Ignore all that and just enjoy the show for what it is.)

Who would enjoy this movie?: It's a great movie to see with your sister. If you don't have a sister, grab some girlfriends or borrow a kid to treat to the show. Kids of all ages (even kids at heart) will likely enjoy the movie. Although the "those who love it" group will likely be more female than male, I can easily see guys who like Disney movies in general also liking this. It's made by creators of Tangled so there's definitely some of that feel to it.
Conclusion: Go see it in theaters. Buy the dvd or bluray :-)

Update: As you can see, I actually bought the bluray. Since most of you are strangers and don't know how incredibly frugal/ stingy I can be it won't have that big of an impact, but this is the first Disney movie I'm actually buying in my adult life.
on April 14, 2017
I rented this movie through Amazon Prime to watch while I was sick. It was easy to rent and watch, and I had 24 hours after playing it to watch it again and again.
on January 14, 2016
Just the Facts: The story of a girl coming to terms with a magical power of having everything she touches turning to ice and snow that she can't control.

Pros: It's Frozen, every child in the world is in love with it and for good reason. Great songs, adorable characters, sure to be a classic.

Cons: If you're an adult you will have to endure this movie played again and again with your child singing along :)

Would I recommend this: For the young at heart - yes, wholeheartedly.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to answer them!