Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 315 reviews
on February 17, 2016
Great drawings like this author. Story is sad, sweet, and at times funny. The whole series about support and loyalty of friendship and family. But mostly I think it is about acceptance - real acceptance of who the characters are and will become. I only have 2 manga collections because this isn't my choice for reading but i like this one 'Fruit Baskets' and 'Story of Saiunkoku' manga. I bought these because reading online isn't my preference and I like the art work it is different for me but I understand common for the genre of MANGA.
on November 3, 2011
My friend introduced me to Fruits basket and recommended that I collect the Ultimate Editions. So I looked into it and decided it was a good idea. I absolutely loved the fact that it's a hard cover book with a couple of the books in one. I was hoping it would have been 3 per book instead of 2 like the Ruroni Kenshin mangas but I would still make due.

I was a bit upset when I found out there are only 6 ultimate editions of Fruits Basket because Tokyopop was no longer continuing the rest, but nonetheless I found them to be a great collection. Some people wouldn't like that because they want their collections all the exact same, but I definitely recommend this collection if you're able to get your hands on them. If not, the singles are perfectly fine too, as I have read that the translation errors are still unchanged on the ultimate versions. This fact doesn't bother me so much as it might bother other collectors.

Overall, I was quite happy with this and would definitely collect more if there were more in print. For others who want to read Fruits basket , I would recommend it but for the collectors who want everything to be exact then not so much.
on April 17, 2006
In this 13th volume of "Fruits Basket," we finally get to meet Yuki-kun and Ayame-san's mother when she attends a parent teacher conference. She already has Yuki-kun's life planned out, but can Ayame-niisan save the day?

Yuki-kun, as president of the Student Council, then has to deal with the strong personalities that make up the Student Council officer. Can he survive them, especially Vice President who has a Power Ranger complex?

Next, Tohru goes on mission to the Sohma Estate to meet with Kureno-san after coming to believe this is the man that Uo-chan has fallen in love with. Along the way, she has a chance encounter with Momo-chan, who reveals some very interesting things. Can Tohru meet with Kureno-san without Akito-san finding out?

Finally, the class trip is finally taken. Yuki-kun, Kyo-kun, Tohru, Uo-chan, and Hana-chan are grouped together which is sure to lead to fun.

In this volume, Takaya-sensei takes time to explore how Yuki came to be via his mother. This was an interesting story which showed how much Yuki had grown. Ditto Ayame. Yuki having to deal with the headaches of being Student Council President are weaker since the people that are the officers are mostly annoying.

Tohru isn't as happy-go-lucky in this volume as in previous ones. However, I was glad to see the Momo-story touched again, not to mention there's table-setting going on for Kureno-san's character.

With these stories being told, Takaya-sensei never forgets why we read the manga and thus doesn't lose focus on that. As such, she doesn't get bogged down in the story of Yuki and Ayame's mother. She doesn't get bogged down in the Momo/Momiji story. She continues to press forward, which helps a lot.

As usual, Alethea & Athena Nibley do fantastic, otaku-friendly work. Considering that this debuted in the top-50 of book sales, then rose to the 30's the next week, I guess that goes to show that Japanese honorifics and other otaku language being left in the translation can enhance the readers enjoyment of the title. It certainly does mine. I only wish TokyoPop had a translator note section in their manga.

Bottom line: more "Furuba" goodness from Takaya-sensei.
on April 17, 2017
One of my first series I love it
on April 6, 2011
Fruits Basket is my favorite manga series, and one of my favorite series of books. Volume 15 is a wonderful example of Takaya's comedic and dramatic abilities. The first half of this volume tells the story of Yuki's heartbreaking childhood. The drawing of a young Yuki sobbing while holding Kyo's hat chokes me up every time. There are very real emotions in this section of the story that all of us can relate to, traumatic childhood or not. Yuki's longing to be included, wishing to be like the other kids, and his desperate loneliness are all conveyed very nicely and are felt deeply by the reader.
The second half of the volume takes a decidedly lighter turn with Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo's class production of Cinderella... or Sort of Cinderella. The play is hilariously miscast with Tohru as a wicked stepsister who cries every time she has to be mean to Cinderella, Kyo as the prince who would rather die than ask Cinderella to dance, and Hanajima as a Cinderella more interested in food than Prince Charming. I laughed out loud several times while reading.
The combination of emotion and silliness is perfect in this volume and is a testament to Takaya's immense talent.