Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on November 1, 2014
Professor Shaw does it again! He may deny being known as an "historical detective" but he always seems to be smarter than any law enforcement officers when he is involved in a case. This one started out with a bang when Professor Shaw was kidnapped by an escaped convict and you wonder where this story could possibly go from there.
I try very hard not to reveal plot lines in my reviews - instead I let each reader find out for him/herself what happens next. However, I will say that the character development in this book is exceptional and you can picture each and every member of the town of Boone and its surroundings. You also get well acquainted with Simon's family and that is a real treat. There were a couple of places where there was, perhaps, a bit too much detail because you are eager for the story to move along but, all in all, The Fugitive King is another excellent read by Sarah Shaber. If you have read and enjoyed the first two books in this series, you will definitely enjoy this one!
on March 29, 2017
This is a well-written book that is set in North Carolina .. mostly in the Raleigh area, where I live. It is fun to read about places I know .. makes the book more interesting! Great characters, some of whom are a bit eccentric but harmless :)
on October 8, 2017
Good plot. Lots of interesting facts about the Carolina's that were new to me.
on August 13, 2013
As in other books in this series, Shaber creates empathy for her protagonist and the concept of a 'forensic historian' is an intriguing one. Of course, all books like this require you to suspend disbelief - could so many old crimes really just fall into the lap of someone who isn't a law enforcement officer? Sometimes the exposition of historical information gets a bit heavy-handed and, as in others in the series, there are inexplicable gaps where the year an event occurred has been omitted, as if the author meant to come back and insert the date after a bit of fact-checking. As a well-priced, low-commitment quick read, though, it's all entertaining enough.
on February 14, 2014
This one includes details of a small minority in North Carolina, and even Cherokees, in the area around Boone, NC. Professor Shaw must figure out why several very different people tell him parts of the truth; he realizes everyone is hiding something. He has time to sit in a friend's cabin and simply reason with the bits he knows, and deduces a surprising story. This one includes Ms. Shaber's descriptions of North Carolina people, landscape, plants and flowers, but is also an intellectual puzzle.
I keep hoping find more Professor Shaw stories, because the five I've read aren't enough!
on July 31, 2016
Love this series. His love interest is seemingly not right for him, but would make a good friend at least
on July 6, 2013
A murderer escapes from prison and holds Simon at gun point until he agrees to solve the murder the man is in prison for committing. The murder was committed in the early 1950 near Simon's childhood home in Boone, NC.

It takes a week, creative research, and a hike in the woods for Simon to discover who actually committed the murder. I did not figure out who the guilty party was until the big reveal at the end of the book.

We get to meet Simon's family and his romance hits a snag.

I truly enjoyed this book.
on May 2, 2010
I've read the first three books in the series and look forward to the last two. I like "cold case" mysteries and am a history/genealogy buff, so the Simon Shaw books are a real pleasure to read. I'm also a Southerner (Mississippi) and can relate very well to the characters and the culture depicted in the books.
on June 26, 2016
I liked the history presented in the story. I had never heard of the melungeon people. I read about them because of this story. I did not know much about that part of the US, and the story brought that part off to he country to life.
on April 6, 2013
I read the first in the series (it was free) and enjoyed it so much I purchased the rest of the series. This is the third and certainly as good as the others. I like Professor Simon Shaw and his family (on his father's side). The mysteries are always twisty enough with enough history to make things interesting. I really like the way the author plants clues so that you can solve the mystery yourself, yet keeps you interested to the end. I recommend this book and the whole series.