Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Fugue Around the Clock
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 22, 2013
Schubert quartets on saxophones? Mozart on marimbas? Well, maybe not... But Schumann, Brahms, and Shostakovitch played by a quartet of recorders? Yes yes yes! Wunderbar!
"Do I contradict myself," as Walt Whitman said, "Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

When the Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet burst upon the Early Music scene, with tours all over the universities of America and the concert venues of Europe, they essentially vindicated the recorder as an instrument, capable of virtuosity and expressiveness. For a while, they were unique. The only show in town. Now there are other recorder ensembles of equal proficiency, and soloists who out do any of the original Stardusters, but no ensemble has ever made a CD of greater elegance and polish that "Fugue around the Clock" ... and it's now available in SACD format.

If you're am amateur recorderist, this CD will be an epiphany and perhaps a stimulus to practice an extra hour a day instead of treating your instrument indifferently. If you're a proud fool who has always scorned the recorder as a mere whistle, this CD will refute your intransigent bias forevermore. Superb tuning, superb phrasing, pyrotechnical fingerwork, gorgeous tone! The quartet sounds like Bach's own chamber organ, but on which every hand and foot has its own expressive independence.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 12, 2014
This is Simple !! I have searched out and purchased every recording of the Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet I could find and they are all terrific! I am a professional Symphony Violinist so playing Antique Recorders in Tune is mind boggling and having such good ensemble is necessary for me. It reminds me of a Baroque Organ. Possible because they have the whole range of recorder instruments from tinest to biggest. Their arrangements are all first class and their facility is undaunted!! A bundle of creativity !!
on January 21, 2016
Amazing CD by an amazing group. The world needs more recorder quartets as fine as this one.
on October 23, 2007
Anyone who loves recorder music as well as fugue as a form will enjoy this cd. I enjoy it particularly because Stardust doesn't just play Bach, but many different centuries of fugal music. It's pleasant hearing all of these on recorders. They also do some unusual sound effects on recorder. I give this cd an A+ for technique, range of instruments and variety in styles!
2 helpful votes
on December 17, 2008
Anyone who might be interested in understanding fugues ought to listen to this album. The Amsterdam Stardust Quartet has compiled fugues from the High Renaissance to Shostakovich, and they perform them on recorders admirably.I have used this recording to teach kids of all ages about music, since it's a different sound than what most children hear. This is one of my favorite recorder recordings! I highly recommend this recording to everyone!
5 helpful votes