Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on April 16, 2016
I bought this spray system to paint the kitchen cabinets white... My wifes' idea not mine... Damn you HG-TV, Chip and Joanna Gains, Pintrest and all of the rest of the social media that showcase these trendy fashions that end up with me doing a bunch of home improvement projects!!!

While I am not a professional painter by any means, I am a perfectionist and wanted to have professional results once finished. This spray system was just the ticket to accomplish this. My wife got several estimates for professionals that specialize in painting kitchen cabinets. Estimates ranged from $2500-$3500. I couldn't justify that price for a couple of coats of paint and I still would have had to do a fair amount of the prep work. All of the pros were using Benjamin Moore Advance, a water-borne alkyd paint. (We chose "Simply White" as the color. The sales man said that has been the most popular color of the year. It looks awesome! Now that it's done.)

The pressurized gravity feed paint cup made it possible to spray the thick paint without thinning very much. The pressurized feature seems to be somewhat unique to the Fuji guns that I haven't seen on other guns. Benjamin Moore recommends thinning with no more than 10% water... that's not much. I bought the Fuji 7020-5, #5, 2.0 mm Air-cap set to make it easier to get good paint flow with the thick paint. That worked great! But, I did have to thin using about 8-9% water (1/2 cup water to 48 oz. of paint). Without thinning, I got poor atomization and the paint would come out in large droplets. Adding the small amount of water allowed perfect atomization resulting in a glass smooth finish once dry. I also read on a forum that you need to mix the paint/water mixture very, very well using a drill motor paint mixer attachment. The forum theory was that the paint molecules will stay clumped together and make strings if you don't mix it thoroughly for several minutes when you thin with water. It seemed logical so I did not try it without mixing really well. No stringing or globs were observed. Just perfect, fine atomization.

Benjamin Moore claims that no "Flo-Trol" additive is needed and I found this to be true. Spraying with the doors and drawer fronts horizontal, I was able to lay on relatively heavy coats without risk of drips. Holding the gun 3-4 inches from the piece results in an "orange peel" texture when first sprayed but soon levels to a perfect, smooth finish. It seems that the key is to apply a heavy enough coat to thoroughly "wet" the paint surface and allow the leveling to occur. Too light a coat will result in more texture as the paint dries. Holding the gun closer than 3 inches from the piece seemed to cause tiny air bubbles in the wet paint that may stay as the paint dried. Due to the heavy coats, I only needed one coat of primer and one coat of paint to cover very well. This paint dries slowly enough that is easy to get the whole piece being painted to have a fully "wetted" surface, ensuring a even, perfect finish.

The trigger and mechanics of the gun provided glob free operation from the instant the trigger is pulled to the point of fully releasing the trigger. The gun is an absolute pleasure to use. No cursing or having to wipe up globs, spits, or other frustrating, finish ruining problems that come from cheap spray guns. This spray system is worth the $400. I expect that it will perform equally well on future automotive painting projects... with the appropriate sized Air-cap for automotive paint.

I used the full-fan setting on the gun and had the best results when I did not try to throttle the air flow down at all. I watched several YouTube videos of how to set an HVLP spray gun. The most helpful was from Eastwood. It was talking about automotive painting but the concepts are the same. Full-fan and full air flow. If you need to adjust, you probably need to change the Air-cap or thin/reduce the paint to change the viscosity. Let the gun do the work as it was designed to do. That's why you pay the money for a good gun.

I'm not gonna lie... I'm no Chip Gains. I hated this project. I complained every step of the way. It took a lot of work and time that I don't have to spare, but it looks awesome now that it's done. My goal was to get the most perfection that my little DIY-er abilities can produce and I am very happy with the finish quality I was able to accomplish with the Fuji Semi-Pro2 and Benjamin Moore Advance. Personally, I was OK with the natural wood but the white cabinet look is the thing right now, not to mention, the wife is super happy.
review image
22 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 3, 2016
I am absolutely and undeniably in love with this paint sprayer!
Out of the box I painted the hood of my 1970 Triumph Spitfire with primer. There is so little overspray compared to traditional sprayers and rattle cans. My wife was so impressed that she had me paint (Latex) one of the shelves in her sewing room. Again, I am amazed at how little overspray there was.

A number of years ago my father-in-law bought a chainsaw. I laughed at him because from that point on he looked at trees a different way. If a tree in his yard looked sickly or leaned a little too much for his liking… He would chop it down.

That's how I feel with this paint sprayer. I look at things around my house differently because I know how easy it would be for me to take this sprayer to it. It's only a matter of time before all the old things in my home are brought back to life because of this paint system. I totally recommend this product to anyone who wants to get into painting without spending a lot of money for a compressor.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2013
Over the last two years, I wrote something of a book below, so I'll summarize up top. For spraying latex, this setup requires considerable thinning. You can get very nice results and I don't really mind the thinning, but spraying thin paint is pretty miserable, particularly on any vertical surface. For spraying lots of latex, I'd upgrade to the Mini-Mite 3 or 4 to spray with less thinning. For spraying clear finishes, particularly those designed to be sprayed (I've used a couple of products by Target Coatings), this little machine is spectacular and wholeheartedly recommended.

Original Review:
I am a weekend woodworker with lots of projects that involve painting (mostly with latex) and applying various clear finishes. I've been casually eyeing assorted HVLP systems for several years now and seriously considering for a few months. Because I wanted to be able to spray latex, it seemed like the Mini-Mite 4 was the right choice, but I just couldn't justify the $800 price for the amount of spraying I plan to do. The semi-pro 2 was at about the price I was willing to pay, but I was concerned that the two-stage turbine would be insufficient and that there were no reviews (hence this review).

The prospect of rolling/brushing a big painting project finally forced the issue and I crossed my fingers and ordered the semi-pro 2 with the gravity cup. I now have a couple of hours of spraying under my belt (that's a lifetime total, it's worth noting that I'm new at this) and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

In the last few days, I sprayed a couple of big bookshelves with latex primer and paint (Sherman Williams multi purpose latex primer and All-Surface Latex Enamel) and the whole system works better than I dared to hope. I was a little worried the "M" gun would be somehow low-end or lack features, but it's really, really nice. Again, I'm new at this and have little to compare to, but I'm not sure what else I could ask it to do. The spray pattern is adjustable from a wide fan to a tiny spot and you can rotate the pattern anywhere you like. Since I was spraying between shelves, I had the gun tipped over pretty far and it never hiccuped. The gravity cup holds 400 cc's, which isn't a whole lot. So far, that's been about one coat on a bookshelf. If you plan to paint big stuff, the 1 qt cup is probably better.

As for the turbine, it's a little blue box. A noisy little blue box, but most of my tools are noisy, so I wear hearing protection and it's just fine. A quick update, I measure 92 db a few feet away, which is really very loud indeed. I measured a small, noisy shop vac at about the same distance and got 86 db, which is roughly 4X quieter. Still not a problem for me, but perhaps worth noting. I regularly use this in my basement with a baby sleeping on the second floor and she doesn't seem to mind.

My concerns regarding the two-stage-ness of the turbine seem to be unfounded so far. Fuji includes and excellent instruction manual (also available in PDF in the FAQ section of their website) that recommends thinning paint and checking with the included viscosity cup. The manual also recommends a #4 (1.5 mm) tip for latex. I sprayed primer with the included 1.3 mm and paint with the 1.5 mm tip and while the 1.5 mm tip definitely sprayed faster, I think I could have managed with the 1.3 mm tip. I followed the thinning instructions with both the primer and the paint, thinned with roughly 20% to 25% water, added some Floetrol, and sprayed a nearly perfect painted finish. I would recommend practicing a fair amount on scrap wood, cardboard boxes, etc. Cleaning up after spraying is very easy and takes me maybe 10 minutes.

One thing I'm confused about is how a four-stage turbine could possibly be better. Maybe you could spray faster or not thin, but this really isn't all that taxing for the way I plan to spray. I'm really looking forward to spraying some clear finishes next.

Update: 11/17/2013
I've now been spraying latex for a couple of weeks and I have produced results ranging from truly disastrous to nearly perfect and pretty much everything in between. For my best results so far, I spray a relatively thick, heavy coat of primer (I've tried up to about 50 seconds in the viscosity cup with great results) with the 1.5 mm tip. This does produce some texture, but I end up sanding the first coat of primer anyway. I found that thin coats of watery primer never actually cover spots, fill grain, block tannins, etc. I generally follow with a second relatively thick coat of primer. Then, I switch to the 1.3 mm tip, thin my paint to about 25 seconds in the viscosity cup, and spray very light coats of paint. Much of what I read suggests that the thinner your paint is the better it works, but I found that if the paint is too thin, it's almost impossible to get any coverage and not get runs (the source of my most disastrous results). I experimented with heavier coats of paint and got a bumpy surface (not as bad as runs, but pretty ugly). Two or three thin coats seem to give good results for me so far. The resulting surface isn't glassy smooth, but is very lightly textured. Far better than I've ever done with a brush or roller and good enough for me. Still looking forward to trying clear finishes when this project is over.

This is still clearly a 5 star purchase for me. So far, the included 1.3 mm tip would have been fine for latex. I now think I see the benefit of the more powerful turbines if they allow you to spray less-thinned paint. Thinning isn't really a hassle, but spraying watery paint kind of is. Still, for half the price, I'm happy to thin some paint.

Update 2/21/2015
I finally got around to spraying some clear finishes. This summer, I sprayed some Zar Ultra Max waterborne oil-modified poly, which worked reasonably well. I sprayed a picture frame, I think, and it came out looking nice, but with a few small, pimple-like dots. I was able to sand these out, spray again lightly, and get a passable finish. The pimples may have been dust or dirt, as I was spraying outside. Zar doesn't appear to really market Ultra Max for HVLP spraying, so I recently ordered Target Coating's EM8000cv pre-catalyzed waterborne conversion varnish (targetcoatings.com), which is actually intended to be sprayed and includes specific instructions for HVLP (1.3mm to 1.5mm needle). I just sprayed a small cherry shelf with this stuff and my 1.3mm needle and it seems wonderful. I sprayed the first coat on a little thick by accident, sanded it lightly, and just applied a very thin second coat and the finish is absolutely flawless. It also dries to the touch in minutes, which should minimize dust and dirt.

If your plan is to spray clear finishes, I can't imagine why you would look for any sprayer fancier than this one. Clear finishes are nice and thin and spray easily and beautifully. I also wholeheartedly recommend ordering some finish that's meant to be sprayed, since things get really easy (no thinning, etc). Finally, google conversion varnishes. Apparently, they dry too fast to be brushed, which is why home stores don't stock them, but they're tougher than polyurethanes and easy to spray. Newer waterborne conversion varnishes are (allegedly) just as tough and have startlingly little odor. Look at both Target Coatings and General Finishes. They both offer bewildering assortments of water based lacquers, waterborne oil-modified polyurethanes, waterborne conversion varnishes, etc, all specifically intended for spraying.

If Amazon would give me six stars, that's how many I would give this sprayer. I'm amazed in retrospect that this sprayer is as inexpensive as it is.

Update 12/20/2015
I recently sprayed a large bookshelf project with the Target EM8000cv pre-catalyzed waterborne conversion varnish and I am really, really happy, both with the Fuji and the Target varnish. For about the first time, when I look at the finish I can't really find anything to complain about.
1717 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2017
This is a very nice hvlp spray system, I actually bought 2 systems the Semi-PRO 2 and the Mini-Mite 4 for different roles and I figured I would compare the two since nothing out there except the Apollo System comes close. The gun on the Simi-Pro 2 is very similar to the Mini-Mite 4 but with a few key differences, this gun is actually a bottom feed with a small U pipe that attaches it to the gravity cup. The cup is fixed and can't be swiveled. The reason that matters is that when you are spraying either straight down or up the fluid in the container will either leak out of the lid or you will not have fluid at the intake at the bottom of the container and your spaying will turn to only air. This is true of both guns only the XPC gun will swivel. There is a solution the 3M PPS system which is a cup that has a disposable bag inside that collapses and keeps fluid always pressed up against the intake and so you can spray upside-down and it won't affect the spray. The fit and finish on the Semi-Pro 2 is not as nice as the Mini-Mite 4 gun, more plastic parts on this gun, not as polished but they actually spray water about the same so but the compressor is a big difference when spraying something thicker than water. The handle on this gun is a little larger so it fits my hand better and is a little more comfortable. The hose and all the parts are exactly the same between the two systems with the exception of the turbine. This is only a 2-stage which will work fine as long as what you are spraying is thin enough. For many waterborne finished like Benjamin Moore Advanced Alkyd this should be fine as long as you thin it as needed, but the BIG disadvantage to this gun is it lacks the power to spray many paints un-thined especially primers and latex. And it does make a difference, this gun is in the 6-ish PSI range the Mini-Mite is in the 9-ish PSI range and that extra pressure changes the quality and range of finishes you can spray. For me it is worth the extra money to invest in the 4-stage system for those special jobs and keep this 2-stage system for thinner paints that don't require that much air. If I only had 1 system it would be the Mini-Mine 4 with the T-75G gun and then spend the extra $100 and buy the 3M PPS Type H/O to have outstanding system, also you will need the whip hose and a remote start toggle to switch on and off the turbine from you spray booth. Really all Fuji systems are nice and for the money you get a lot with the Semi-Pro 2 so for the average user this is a great kit!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 29, 2016
The Fuji was a tough purchase to stomach at first not having ever sprayed on stains and finishes. However, it quickly was shown to be worth the money. Headboards that took me 2 hours to stain by hand that didn't look very good could be stained in minutes with this sprayer. It is extremely useful. The adjustments are easy to work with and figure out with some practice. It is a loud machine, but putting it inside a garage or other enclosed room helps. This is relatively easy considering the long length hose that is included. Staining looks better than if I would have been hand applied it - you have to do a quick wipe off at the end, but that is the only elbow grease required. .
on August 23, 2015
I had a few painting and refinishing projects I was avoiding because it would have been too tedious to brush them out, and I didn't want to stare at my brush marks for the next few years. I decided to invest in a starter level HVLP system and read lots of great reviews about the Fuji systems. I decided on the 2203G model since it was reasonably priced and could handle latex if I purchased the right air cap set (1.8mm). As my first project I chose some ornate cast aluminum outdoor furniture since I could spray outside and I could tolerate some goof-ups if things didn't go well . I followed the instructions for thinning my materials using the provided viscosity cup and installed the 1.8mm air cap set. Be advised this little unit is almost as loud as a shop vac so have some ear plugs ready! After practicing on some cardboard I got the feel for the pattern control and flow rates and went to work. Well, it wasn't work, it was a blast. The paint went on consistently and right where I wanted it to with hardly any overspray, and because it was thinned for spraying it flowed beautifully, even if I was off a bit on my strokes or application rate. The process was much more tolerant than I expected and the results were outstanding. I was done in a few hours and I know I would have spent several weekends getting that set done with brushing and mini rollers. To be fair, there a bit of setup required to use a spray system but if you plan your work appropriately it is totally worth it. I also loved the fact that I could stop at any time and not have to worry about open cans of paint or brushes drying out. Just shut it down, go have some lunch, and pick up where you left off. I am very happy with this unit and look forward to starting all those other projects I have been putting off.
on August 13, 2015
First use was to spray 1/4 sawn oak kitchen cabinet panels with (unthinned) lacquer. After receiving the spray unit, we spent a few minutes reading the included manual, then set the unit up and went to work. The spray gun was quickly adjusted and sprayed the (filtered) finish with no issues. After three coats we evaluated the amount of finish used vs. a Critter gun (which generally uses less finish than our other spray units) we typically use for such work. The Fuji used measurably less finish for the same square footage. The final surface was very smooth and uniform. The surface finish was very comparable to a much much more expensive 5 stage HVLP unit (another brand) we have used with the same materials. The Fuji achieved this while using significantly less lacquer than the 5 stage unit, though a little more slowly applied. We have added the six foot whip hose now and it works well to more easily move the gun around. The gun seems of nice quality and adjusts/cleans easily. Of note, the offset gravity feed cup makes it difficult to use a standard gun stand to fill the cup, requiring two people to do the refill or to return to the mount on the turbine case to hold the gun while refilling. We will try modifying a standard stand so we can more easily refill the cup at point of use. Overall, we are very happy with this unit.
on June 15, 2017
I purchased this spray system after doing a lot of research on what was available. My primary use for this was to spray the trim, doors, cabinets, etc in my house. I have very minimal experience with sprayers and spraying paint other than with a rattle can. My first project was spraying window trim. I am spraying Benjamin Moore Advance. I contacted Fuji for the recommended air cap and needle size. They said the 1.8 would do the job so I ordered that along with the sprayer. Everything was packaged quite well, no issues unpacking it. After reading the booklet, I mixed up a batch of primer and went at it. I thinned my primer (and paint) so that it ran through the velocity cup in about 28 seconds. My first time spraying I had the paint turned up to high and ended up with a run. But once I learned to dial back the paint, this unit has been a dream to shoot paint with. Cleaning the unit is a breeze, considering I am using latex paint. I take it outside, hose out the cup, take the air cap and needle out, spray out the inside, wipe everything down and Im ready for the next paint session. To anyone who wants professional results, and cant stand to look at brush marks, do yourself a favor, order this up and get to work!
on September 18, 2017
What a great little sprayer. When our new interior doors, kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities were made they weren't painted, and the bids I got were way outside of our budget. I bought this little unit to do the job, spraying Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua Plus (surfacer and then a topcoat of the white, tinted). It's not difficult to get the hang of how to get excellent coverage, and this thing lays the paint down very, very nicely. In addition, it's very thrifty with the paint - very little overspray/waste.

I haven't tried to spray thinned latex or enamel, though that is an upcoming job I'm going to have to tackle, but this sprayer gets 10/10 for value and performance based on the ~20 hours I've used it so far with the SW KA+. Make sure to get the flexible whip hose, which will make your life easier, and don't forget to strain your paint!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 26, 2017
I bought this sprayer to apply stains and clear finishes to large woodworking projects and it has been working really well!

So far I have only sprayed water based products because I do not want my garage to stink for weeks, and I have not hit any issues. Once the gun is adjusted the turbine is more than powerful enough for this kind of spraying. I have used Minwax Polycrylic and Target Finishes EM6000 straight out of the can with near perfect results.

The best part of this Gravity Cup setup is that cleaning literally takes less than 10 minutes because the gun is is easy to disassemble and there are no hoses that need cleaning.

This sprayer continues to be a good investment for me.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.