Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 29, 2016
I was pretty happy with the look of this film, especially with a roll I shot in the late-winter with snow and overcast weather. It was well suited to the winter cabin vibe I was going for and I enjoy the colors. I've attached a few scans from a local lab.
review imagereview image
55 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2014
I keep coming back to this film. I just uploaded a bunch of images shot with this film and developed in my little bathroom photo lab. They look great! I'm a Fuji fanboy, I'll admit, but I've shot many different types of film(different brands, different formats,)and X-TRA 400 always makes me the happiest!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 22, 2016
I am on the fourth roll on this set of film I received. This was the first time I have ever shot film before, and I wanted to pick up some inexpensive but quality film for me to learn the basics on film photography, without too much loss if I messed up. After reading some reviews here, I decided to go with these, and I am happy I did.

My first roll I had one shot that turned out completely red, and my next few rolls I had maybe two blank shots each. I had them developed through Walgreens here in town, so I am note sure if that is a developing issue or a film issue.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results and well buy again for an inexpensive color film.

Check out some pictures I took with it to get an idea of the quality. All shots were on a Pentax ZX-M with a 50mm lens.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2016
The colors are accurate -- no tint that might suggest it is old stock. The grains are rather coarse however. Still, it's not a strike against it as grain is to be expected from film at the higher ISOs.

I plan on trying the Fuji Velvia 50. learned about it from the Ken Rockwell site. This is, quoting him, "the professional standard for nature and landscape photography." The grains from the sample photos taken with Fuji Velvia 50 appear much smaller. I do mostly landscape so I'm going to give it a whirl.
on April 27, 2016
Love this film. It's great for everyday stuff as a break away from professional film. I can just load it into my rangefinder when I'm going about my day, and I can take pictures of whatever I come across. Performs strangely well even in overcast, rainy weather. Even on these days, colors still look fantastic, whereas my experience with Kodak Ultramax wasn't so great with colors on gray days. And, even in fluorescent lights, it's rather well balanced after it's processed even though it's a daylight film. I love this stuff and will continue to use it. Not sure why it says discontinued here, because it really isn't.
Also, it's a very low cost film but with great quality. My go-to consumer film for sure, my second choice would be to just use Portra (or even 160NS.)
on May 6, 2016
I've been shooting 35mm film for a couple of months now and this is the best deal that I've been able to find on film. Most other film that you'll find can cost up to 4x as much. The image quality is good given the price. I especially like shooting at film speed 400 (equivalent to ISO 400 on digital) as opposed to lower film speeds, since this will allow me to set a faster shutter speed. This is important if you are into street photography and do not want your images to blur.

Overall, this is the best deal on color film that you'll find online. Film is only becoming more scarce and expensive, so stock up if you can!
on June 28, 2013
The film arrived when promised, but not AS promised. The picture shows the rolls of film packaged in the green cardboard packaging. However, the film arrived loosely packed in a clear plastic bag. The problem is that film has an expiration date on the packaging. Without the packaging, there is no evidence of the film's expiration date. I expected the film to be delivered as shown.
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
You really cant go wrong with Fuji or Kodak film. This ISO 400 film is a great general purpose film that works well both indoors and outdoors. If you plan on shooting exclusively outdoors or in very well lit areas, you might get a slightly better picture quality with an ISO 100 or 200 speed film, but its 2014, and if you're still shooting film, you probably already know this.

Ken Rockwell raves about Fuji Velvia 50 film, but that film is considerably more expensive than this Fuji Superia X-TRA 400.

Ironically, Amazon sells single rolls of Kodak film for less than the average cost of this 4-pack, but Amazon considers the Kodak film to be an "Add-On Item", which means you can only order a maximum of 3 rolls at a time. If you need more, you have to get a different type of film, so I got this. At just under $3 a roll, its still a bargain. The incredibly sad thing is, however, that very few places develop film anymore. You can't just go to your local Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy and have them develop film. The ones that will do it, will send it out to a lab, and from what I've read online, the results vary dramatically. Its luck of the draw whether or not the person developing your film knows what they're doing.

If you want your film developed by someone who has a lot of experience with film and uses quality equipment, for most people your best option is one of the online sources where you mail in your film to do it, but the costs are high. You will pay anywhere between $10 - $25 for a single roll of film to be developed which is in start contrast to how it used to be where your corner drug store would do it for $5 - $6 a roll.
on June 6, 2017
This is decent film for just taking non-essential shots or testing a new (vintage) camera or lens. It's inexpensive and delivers good quality. Personally it was hit and miss for me. I think most of my bad shots were due to poor settings on my part. Overall it's a good deal. I wouldn't use this for things like vacations or special occasions and definitely not in a professional setting. I think Portra or Ektar is better for those types of situations. Fuji also has a professional version for that.
review imagereview image
on September 18, 2016
Yep, I'm still stuck in the 90s too.
If you're looking for a starter film or a great all-rounder, look no further.
Superia comes in ISO 200 - 1600, so you can use it no matter the lighting condition.
COLOR is AWESOME! Pictures of red cars, green grass, blues in the sky...all just POP! I am a big fan of Superia for this reason.
Clarity is great. No surprises there.
Grain is...I'll call it "classic". You're shooting film for this reason anyway, right? Not too intrusive, not absent.
Botch an exposure? No worries!
Exposure latitude is great. You can definitely get good results a few stops either direction.
Maybe my only gripe about Superia is it only comes in 24shot rolls.
But I actually prefer that because I need to change ISOs more often than that, usually.
Altogether, Superia is a great benchmark. There are films that are better in some ways, worse in some ways. But you can always find a reason to pack a roll of Superia.