Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 360 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 397 reviews
on June 29, 2016
I was pretty happy with the look of this film, especially with a roll I shot in the late-winter with snow and overcast weather. It was well suited to the winter cabin vibe I was going for and I enjoy the colors. I've attached a few scans from a local lab.
review image review image
on October 7, 2014
I keep coming back to this film. I just uploaded a bunch of images shot with this film and developed in my little bathroom photo lab. They look great! I'm a Fuji fanboy, I'll admit, but I've shot many different types of film(different brands, different formats,)and X-TRA 400 always makes me the happiest!
on June 28, 2013
The film arrived when promised, but not AS promised. The picture shows the rolls of film packaged in the green cardboard packaging. However, the film arrived loosely packed in a clear plastic bag. The problem is that film has an expiration date on the packaging. Without the packaging, there is no evidence of the film's expiration date. I expected the film to be delivered as shown.
on January 22, 2016
I am on the fourth roll on this set of film I received. This was the first time I have ever shot film before, and I wanted to pick up some inexpensive but quality film for me to learn the basics on film photography, without too much loss if I messed up. After reading some reviews here, I decided to go with these, and I am happy I did.

My first roll I had one shot that turned out completely red, and my next few rolls I had maybe two blank shots each. I had them developed through Walgreens here in town, so I am note sure if that is a developing issue or a film issue.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results and well buy again for an inexpensive color film.

Check out some pictures I took with it to get an idea of the quality. All shots were on a Pentax ZX-M with a 50mm lens.
review image review image review image review image
You really cant go wrong with Fuji or Kodak film. This ISO 400 film is a great general purpose film that works well both indoors and outdoors. If you plan on shooting exclusively outdoors or in very well lit areas, you might get a slightly better picture quality with an ISO 100 or 200 speed film, but its 2014, and if you're still shooting film, you probably already know this.

Ken Rockwell raves about Fuji Velvia 50 film, but that film is considerably more expensive than this Fuji Superia X-TRA 400.

Ironically, Amazon sells single rolls of Kodak film for less than the average cost of this 4-pack, but Amazon considers the Kodak film to be an "Add-On Item", which means you can only order a maximum of 3 rolls at a time. If you need more, you have to get a different type of film, so I got this. At just under $3 a roll, its still a bargain. The incredibly sad thing is, however, that very few places develop film anymore. You can't just go to your local Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy and have them develop film. The ones that will do it, will send it out to a lab, and from what I've read online, the results vary dramatically. Its luck of the draw whether or not the person developing your film knows what they're doing.

If you want your film developed by someone who has a lot of experience with film and uses quality equipment, for most people your best option is one of the online sources where you mail in your film to do it, but the costs are high. You will pay anywhere between $10 - $25 for a single roll of film to be developed which is in start contrast to how it used to be where your corner drug store would do it for $5 - $6 a roll.
The colors are accurate -- no tint that might suggest it is old stock. The grains are rather coarse however. Still, it's not a strike against it as grain is to be expected from film at the higher ISOs.

I plan on trying the Fuji Velvia 50. learned about it from the Ken Rockwell site. This is, quoting him, "the professional standard for nature and landscape photography." The grains from the sample photos taken with Fuji Velvia 50 appear much smaller. I do mostly landscape so I'm going to give it a whirl.
on April 27, 2016
Love this film. It's great for everyday stuff as a break away from professional film. I can just load it into my rangefinder when I'm going about my day, and I can take pictures of whatever I come across. Performs strangely well even in overcast, rainy weather. Even on these days, colors still look fantastic, whereas my experience with Kodak Ultramax wasn't so great with colors on gray days. And, even in fluorescent lights, it's rather well balanced after it's processed even though it's a daylight film. I love this stuff and will continue to use it. Not sure why it says discontinued here, because it really isn't.
Also, it's a very low cost film but with great quality. My go-to consumer film for sure, my second choice would be to just use Portra (or even 160NS.)
on May 6, 2016
I've been shooting 35mm film for a couple of months now and this is the best deal that I've been able to find on film. Most other film that you'll find can cost up to 4x as much. The image quality is good given the price. I especially like shooting at film speed 400 (equivalent to ISO 400 on digital) as opposed to lower film speeds, since this will allow me to set a faster shutter speed. This is important if you are into street photography and do not want your images to blur.

Overall, this is the best deal on color film that you'll find online. Film is only becoming more scarce and expensive, so stock up if you can!
on March 26, 2016
What an amazing resource to find inexpensive film.

I've ordered these twice and both times they've arrived in the original retail box as shown in the item listed.

Developed 5 rolls of film and haven't come across anything that makes me feel the film is going bad!
on May 4, 2013
The 4 rolls came in an unmarked cellophane wrap and did not have the expiration date noted for the rolls. That was what I was interested in knowing. If they had come in the Fuji packaging as noted then it would have had the expiration dates printed on the packaging. I would not have bought them if I know they came in that manner. Please do not mislead us this way. Otherwise I'll look elsewhere for these items.
33 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse