Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 130 reviews
on June 13, 2013
This is a review of the new Fuji 55-200 for my XE1. Let me start out by saying this is a superb piece of glass and if this is a focal length you want or need, then Fuji blows the competition away in almost every area. Below is a review from someone that has owned a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR I lens since 2005. For my Fuji I also have the 18-55 zoom (slightly better than my old Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and 16-85 VR). Also, for my XE1 I use the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 (superb glass) a Rokinon 8mm fisheye for Fuji mount, and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 adaptall manual macro.

Optics: Outstanding!!! Both at the short and long end, wide open, and in corners. It gets better when stopped down a bit but there are no week areas, especially at the long end which is common for lenses of this range. I would put this lens as at least as sharp as the Fuji 18-55 f/4, and very definitely sharper at 55mm than the Fuji 18-55 zoom, which is no ordinary kit lens. So at 55mm the long zoom might be better choice and it is also slight faster, f/3.5 vs f/4 which makes it slightly better, but much bigger, for head shots to get more blur in the background. Also, I tested my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR I, tripod mounted, on my XE1 with an adapter at the sweet spot, f/5.6, against the Fuji 55-200 at the long end. It was a dead tie at f/5.6 for Nikon (2 stops closed) vs. f/7.1 on the Fuji sweet spot (about 1+ stops closed). Sold my Nikon long zoom (and as of this update sold off all my Nikon equipment with no regrets).

Hot Spots: None!!! By hot spots I am referring to using this lens with an infrared filter like a Hoya R72. I have tested this filter and there are No hot spots at any aperture or focal length making this lens great for IR filter work. On the fuji 18-55 zoom, hot spots are an issue at all focal lengths. They manifest as a light colored circle in the center which gets smaller and brighter as you stop down. So the fuji long zoom, and the fuji 35mm prime, are excellent for this type of work.

Bokeh: smooth and beautiful. Nothing harsh here but remember, this is a relatively slow lens so do not expect the same blur of a f/2.8 at f/4.8 - of course the Sony is f/6.3 so even less blur potential. The best blur will be at the long end since the FOV is most narrow and that will smooth out busy backgrounds, especially if the background is not close behing the subject.

OIS: Best I ever used. It is possible to shoot at 200mm and 1/20 second with good breathing technique and get sharp results. This, along with the high ISO of the camera, is a game changer. I can't possibly do that with my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR but then again the lack of mirror slap vibration, which can cause slight blurring at 1/8 - 1/60 sec, is not a factor for a mirrorless body. Just do not breath heavily, be like a sniper, shoot between breaths and roll your finger over the shutter instead of pressing down. OIS is great but only when combined with good technique.

Build: Same as the 18-55 except the zoom ring is rubber.

Balance: The lens balances surprisingly well and the greater weight of this lens vs the slower competition is not a concern. It is easy to hold for long periods without fatigue and it looks solid, not like a cheap toy. I noticed that the Fuji neck strap is not ideal for long walks with this lens, like an hour or more before it begins to get uncomfortable. So perhaps a wider neck strap will help. I used thick Op/Tec Pro neck straps on my Nikons which are great. The included strap is not bad and perfect for everything else, but if you carry the lens around for long periods a wider or cushioned strap will make life a bit easier.

Focus: Mediocre. This is the weak link of the system, not the lens. I suspect this will improve with future bodies using different focus technology. Anyone that knows the Fuji X-system knows it is a fantastic camera to shoot stills, not action. This lens will perform great when taking your time, not point and shoot quickly. Focus is accurate, but not fast, the opposite of DSLRs which are fast but not always accurate.

Focus Tips: If you are having trouble try these 3 tips. 1) Change the size of the focus box. Generally larger is best for good light, while smaller is better in poor light. 2) Switch focus mode to C on the body. This trick also works on the 18-55. It is for Continuous focusing for moving subjects, but that application works poorly, yet C mode can make the difference between getting focus and hunting. Try it, you might be surprised how well this can work. 3) Set the camera to M mode. Press the AF button on the back which will AF on whatever the focus sensor is on. Then Manually turn the focus ring to fine tune. This is great of your subject makes for a poor AF target and there is a good target close to the subject. Also, when in M mode if you press the thumbwheel down it magnifies the image in the EVF or LCD 3x so you can see what you are doing. This is extremely useful when using Manual lenses.

So aside from slow focus this is an outstanding lens - but if you are looking to shoot action then this is the wrong system for you, period. Fuji is no stranger to making great glass and, along with Canon, are the two major manufacturers of motion picture lenses in the world. Fuji glass it up pretty much up there with Zeiss (the new Zeiss 12 and 32mm lenses compared very well with the Fuji 14 and 35) and a hair below Leica. Their lenses are more expensive than the other non-Leica mirrorless competitors, but less expensive than the top shelf brands of Zeiss and Leica. That makes Fuji lenses some of the best value around and the lens is critical at bringing out the best in a sensor - the rest is up to the photographer.

This lens should be great for landscape and works well with filters, 62mm ring. I have step up rings so am using a 67mm CPL filter on this and my other lenses with step-up rings.

Bottom line: Excellent, Best in class glass. Highly recommended!!!
1010 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2014
Updated: 5/3/2015 Well, ,so far so darn good! I've used this lens pretty regularly and it has not disappointed. Yes, it does fail to acquire focus at times, but hey, so DID THE 56 1.2 that wound up returning to Amazon. That sucked big time. I've also added a few of the images taken over the holidays; some handheld, some tripod, but you can see the quality, Oh, and three of these are for sale on two different stock sites... If that tells you something. I'm very happy with the lens and feel I made an excellent choice in my decision to select this 55-200 over the 50-140 just for weight alone. The whole purpose of the Fuji system for me was excellent image quality: CHECK. The ability to print to 24 x 18" without photoshop tricks such as image resizing: CHECK. Light weight: CHECK. Mission Accomplished Fuji!

I received this lens today. It was a difficult choice deciding between this, and the new 50-140 F2.8. This lens won out by a long shot mostly because I didn't want to be burdened with the weight and size of the 50-140 even though all the reviews are so very positive.
Since I already have the 18-55, 35 1.4, and the Zeiss 12mm I went with the 55-200 as my choice for telephoto. I opened the box, slapped it on my X-T1, and my first image was a 1/7th at 172mm shot inside the house; All I can say is WOW! The OIS works amazing, couple that with the perfect sharpness -- even at ISO 2500, And I am completely blown away! Now, I can safely sell my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 (in itself an incredible lens). I'm slowly trying to move away from my Nikon gear and this is just another stepping stone on my journey there.
The lens feel super solid! I just love the feel. Hard to describe. The zoom ring is tight, I like it that way. The balance on the X-T1 is also great. On a side note, I have a metal grip for my right hand on the X-T1. But, regardless, it is a beautiful piece of glass.
I do wish it were water resistant but I can live without it. I will say I've taken my 18-55 out in freezing rain, and snow, with no adverse effects so I'm not too worried. The price here on Amazon was solid; I couldn't be happier that I selected this instead of the 50-140 beast.
review image review image review image review image review image
on March 22, 2014
Sure, this lens may not be a 70-200 2.8 like the one from the "big boys", but don't let that fool you.
I used to own a Canon 5D Mark II. I had the Canon 70-200 F4L which is fantastic and then the Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS v1 and to be honest, I don't see the difference in images with the Fuji 55-200. They are every bit as good. Do I wish it was constant aperture? Sure I do. Do I wish it was 2.8 fast? Yup. But, never once have a wished those things when I see the results (paired with an X-T1).
If you're thinking about it, just pull the trigger. I don't see how you would have any regrets.
I'm also impressed with the OIS. I'm able to get clear, sharp images handholding at 200mm and 1/40. That's crazy! Of course at that slow speed you may still get motion blur from the subject moving, but the camera/lens combo takes a steady image.
review image review image review image
on May 6, 2015
Fast. Fast. Fast. While this lens is "only" f3.5 at the wide end it still performs extremely well indoors and in low light. It is a good half stop faster than similar SLR zooms that typically offer f4-5.6 in this zoom range. Definitely a bit larger and heavier than your basic SLR zoom but well worth it. Optics are top notch and certainly easier to carry than a monster f2.8 zoom to cover a similar range.

The OIS stabilization works like a charm and clearly (pun intended) helps shoot at shutter speeds many stops slower than one would be able to without it. I have good results shooting hand held at 200mm using only 1/30s shutter.

The lens is very well built and a pleasure to use. All action is smooth and well damped.
on May 11, 2014
I bought this lens as I recently switched systems from Nikon to Fuji for my professional work. I needed a long focal length lens, as specified by a client, for a job. This was really my only option as the images needed to be shot at (35mm eqiv) 120mm-150mm. The client required a specific look to the images.

The lens is good. The build quality is as good as any of my expensive Nikon glass was. The lens is a bit slow on the longer end, but not bad, as I would be shooting at around f5.6 or smaller anyway. I have done some testing and wide open it is a little soft overall at all focal lengths. That is my only real complaint, besides not having a fixed aperture and the fact it is not an f2.8 lens.

The image stabilization is superb! Better, I think, than on my Nikon glass. (Version 1 anyway). I can handhold this lens at 300mm, 1/60th sec and still get acceptable images.

One thing I will say is that through careful sharpening, you can get very good results. I should mention the color and contrast is very good for a lens of this focal length.

I'll keep it for the 300mm end but I am patiently waiting for the 55-140mm f2.8 coming down the road.
on September 12, 2013
I come from a history of top Nikon DSLRs so I speak with the authority to rate this the best lens in this focal range. It's faster than the equivalent Canon & Nikon lenses at half the size. It's a laugher to compare the prices since this Fuji lens is under $750. The one small negative I'll mention is lens creep while walking with my X-E1 and the 55-200mm on my Black Rapid cross-body strap.

The Fuji zoom produces tack sharp photos at all focal lengths, surpassing most of its higher price competition. The OIS(Optical Image Stabilization) is good for at least 4 F-stops. I can handhold shots at 1/20" at 200mm without concern. I would highly recommend this lens to any Fuji X owner looking for high quality images.
on December 30, 2013
I've owned Canon's 70-200 f/4 IS and f/2.8 IS II lenses and loved them both.

This lens is on par with those two in terms of build and image quality.

Sharp images and some of the best image stabilization I've used.
on January 13, 2014
I now own seven lenses from Fujifilm for the FX system. There is a lot of opinions about auto-focus and other features for the "X-Trans" cameras, but one thing is sure, these lenses (all of them) are excellent performers. Razor sharp and beautiful rendering of colors, especially skin tones. Many lenses are over coated which gives the appearance of sharpness or "micro contrast" as it is sometimes called, but usually at a cost of color accuracy. Over dramatic reds or blues. This might be desirable for scenery shots or food, but honestly I would rather have sharp glass and great skin tones. I can always add contrast and color saturation in Photoshop, but it can be darn hard to remove silvery or over magenta skin tones. I love this system. I love the retro controls and feel of the camera. It is like shooting in the old days. No searching through endless menus to make basic shutter or aperture changes.

Lots of people get confused and are frustrated that the system does not perform like a DLSR. It was never meant to. It was meant for those of us that could never afford a Leica "M". I suspect that the camera body that will perform like a DSLR is in the works though.
on May 18, 2014
Very sharp lens! It is almost at the same caliber as the my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR and the super sharp but heavy built-like-a-tank Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED zoom lenses! My concerns are it's focusing speed and ability to take a very sharp picture of a moving object. What good is a lens when you can't take a SHARP picture of the a moving object because the lens is not able to focus fast enough? On the other hand, when it comes to static objects, this lens beats out the Nikon f/2.8 zoom lenses I mentioned. Overall, as long as you don't use it for fast moving subjects you can capture photos with very sharp subjects with creamy bokeh...like the ones taken from expensive f/2.8 zoom lenses.
on August 28, 2015
I was wanting to get the newer 50-140mm, but then I got to use one that my friend had and I changed my mind. That lens is a beast. Part of the reason I have moved away from Nikon is because of the bulk. The 50-140mm reminds me of my 70-200 f/2.8 Nikkor in size and weight. It also looks way too big on the little XT-1 and even more so on the X-T10.

I hadn't even considered the 55-200mm before because, in the Nikon world, that is one of those awful, cheap, plastic kit lenses they practically give away with their consumer cameras. Then I read an article on FujiRumors that said many of the lenses were on sale. The 55-200mm was $150 off so I decided to read up and I was very (pleasantly) surprised. All the reviews were very positive (which seems to be the case with most Fuji glass). This is a very solid and well-built metal lens. The image quality seems fantastic; it is very fast focusing with the new v.4.0 firmware update, and the OIS allows me to shoot at much slower than my old shaky hands alone can.

I'm very glad I got it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.