Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on September 15, 2013
I am in a wheel chair and found that I could no longer handle my Nikon DSLR's due to being to heavy and cumbersome. I really enjoy photography and did not want to give it up. So, I started my search for a small and lighter point and shoot with a zoom. Initially I looked at Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and Olympus, you know, the usual suspects. I thought I would like the Nikon P300 series, the Olympus SH50 or the Panasonic LX7. I started my research on those, and I discounted the Canon when I went to Costco and actually had some "hands on" with the ones they had. The Canon did not seem to have the same build quality as the others, although, in Canon's defense, they do have great image quality. While reading reviews on the Olympus SH50 one reviewer mentioned the Fujifilm F900EXR as being a more than capable competitor. The Fuji cameras never entered my mind as a possible purchase.
At the end of my exhaustive research I purchased the Fujifilm F900EXR because it had all control options, including RAW shooting, wifi and GPS tagging if I wanted to use that function. It is a "full function" photographic instrument in a small package.

When I received it I took some photos and they looked out of focus, dark or too light to the point they were crappy. I really started to rethink my purchase and had some doubts. Like most guys I thought I knew more than the owners manual, but was I wrong. I read and reread the owners manual then I started to use the camera in each of it's functions until I thought I, as least, had some rudimentary knowledge of each function. What I found out was that this camera is amazing. It is fast, sharp and has given me some fantastic images. I continue to use and learn the nuances of each function and filter. I am now able to take razor sharp images with great color, contrast and dynamic balance.

Build quality is worth noting, as it has the "feel". It is just the right size and weight for me to handle and is safely stored in my wheel chair side pocket.

If you are looking at a quick travel replacement for your DSLR, I recommend that you look at the Fuji, but it does have a "learning curve" to it, or you could just leave it on full auto and still get good shots. Love the zoom length too.

If you don't want, or need, wifi or GPS look at the F850EXR, but it does not have the CMOSII sensor and leaves some other stuff off to keep the price lower.

To all you Canon enthusiasts, I am not anti Canon in any way, in fact I use to own a full service camera shop where Canon was our leader in sales. I have used Canon's for many years, along with Olympus, Konica, Minolta, Pentax and even Fuji, to some extent. I have always thought that Canon has, and gives, a great image quality, but in recent years it seemed that the build quality did not seem like their competitors. Canon continues to get some great reviews.

All in all, each camera company offers some great camera's in the small, point and shoot with a zoom, you just have to keep asking yourself " what are my requirements" and keep that as your guideline. I just found that the Fuji met all of my requirements and then some at my price point. Hope this helps..................
1818 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 16, 2013
I was looking for a pocketable camera that took decent pictures, had decent low light performance, and had a long reach. This is the newest of the offerings that I found that met the criteria (on paper).

I'm familiar with how well the smaller Fuji cameras do with their low light prowess, but that's due to a combination of the sensor and the glass they use. Since I am adding the requirement of a log reach lens, I am decreasing the quality of the optics and making it require more light during a shot (zoom lenses on cameras generally are lesser quality - unless you're talking lenses in the $1000's).

I just got back from Cabo with the camera, and it did admirabley on both long shots. It has a great reach, but you need something more stable than your hands and the camera's stabilization to get good shots at 20x zoom..

I shot mostly in Aperture mode, but tried the "low light", "high contrast", and "portrait" auto modes, and looking at the shots on a big monitor, they all came out great. Sure there is some noise in the dark scenes, but it was far less than expected, and I could easily print a 8"x10" without it looking like a pixelated mess. I never used the flash beyond testing it out. I'm not a fan of the images any/most flashes produce.

I tried some video, and it looked good enough. I wish there also were a 1080p 30fps mode, as it only does 60fps when in 1080p mode. It would save some file space. I also wish there were no limitations on the length of video you can shoot, but inexplicably, on some of the slow motion modes, you are limited to 60 seconds maximum recording.

Overall, I am a fan of the newer sensor that the F900EXR has over the model it is replacing. I would definitely recommend it to friends.
55 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 20, 2015
I'm a very amateur, casual photographer who mostly just takes pictures on vacation (though I must admit that I take a *lot* of very extravagant vacation). I have had a Fujifilm FinePix F100EXR for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. I switched to the F900 as an upgrade, so this review will be written largely in that context. And again, please keep in mind that I'm a really casual user :-)

I would have to say this camera is a substantial upgrade over the F100. It feels about the same size and weight in my hand as the F100 did, and the slightly more ergonomic case is nice. The display on the back is very nice, much better than my old one.

Camera startup time is noticeably faster, and so is the time required to take a picture. I use the SP Portrait mode to take fairly close pictures of family and friends, and they have all been pleased with how those looks (which I think says quite a bit of positive things about that mode). I use EXR auto mode occasionally but mostly use settings recommended by Kim Letkerman in his blog (which I highly recommend). Given the significant improvements in the sensor and processing in the camera, it's not surprising that the pictures it takes are of higher quality than what I had in the F100.

It's worth taking the time to carefully read the manual and see all the neat things you can do with the camera and the settings involved. For example, I had to go back to it to figure out how to activate the flash--the F100 had it exposed all the time, on the F900 you have to flip it up. There's nothing really irritating there, it's just worth learning how to get the most out of this piece of gear.

All things considered, I can strongly recommend this as an upgrade from the F100, and as a nice entry into a class of camera that I would call "moderate level pocket cameras"..
on September 2, 2013
My previous Point & Shoot was a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 which preformed reliably in well lit settings and extremely well if care was taken for the shot. The F900EXR takes better pictures in Automatic than my previous camera with preset manual parameters. The EXR-Automatic mode switches between 3 priorities (Resolution, Noise, Dynamic Range) and chooses the one most ideal for the situation. It works, and is great for those spur of the moment shots.

Battery
-Focusing (especially tracking mode) consumes Battery Life
-Flash consumes Battery Life
-Leaving the battery in the camera even when its off slowly consumes battery life.
-extra batteries 15$
(Be aware of the above and battery life is manageable)

For a Point and Shoot, it performs amazingly well low light settings.
Images are surprisingly crisp at maximum resolution.
Very large depth of field (I prefer because removing detail is easier than recreating it)
This camera like some other Fujis can synchronize flash with its maximum shutter speed. (Time Stopper)
Multiple Exposure Mode- make ghosts anywhere without relying on reflections or a timed double exposure
The lens does occasionally retracts slowly.
on January 8, 2014
I am not a professional ... just a mom shooting everyday pics of my kids. I like to get snapshots at family & special events. I have no interest in post processing photos except to maybe use the auto adjust in Windows Photo Gallery or on the print kiosk at Walmart or Walgreen's or wherever I'm printing. And there are times when I do want to crop a good amount. I have been using the camera on my smartphones for the past 2 years, and yes I recognize they are much better than they used to be. I have printed many photos from my smartphones, but they're still missing Xenon flash & optical zoom. The majority are also missing optical image stabilization.

For a point and shoot, I don't think this camera can be beat. I am disappointed in the amount of noise or grain in the images. This seems to be a problem with newer point & shoot cameras. I think it's possibly the high megapixels they are putting in the small sensors (16 mp on 1/2" on the F900EXR - slightly larger than the typical 1/2.3"). I have tried out several point & shoots over the past year & all have had this similar issue. If you are not going to crop or enlarge possibly past 8x10, this shouldn't be a problem. I have looked back at my cheap point and shoot cameras from several years ago that were 3 megapixels, and they just did not have this amount of noise. Because of this, I finally decided to go with a dslr, my first (Canon eos Rebel T3 - an entry-level, all I could afford in my budget, and that is really pushing it), and there's just no comparison in image quality. I wish I could have a dslr with all the functions of this camera. I want to be able to fully zoom into my pictures and see detail and no noise. You just can't do that with a point and shoot, at least not the ones I have tried out. A dslr is needed for that.

Autofocus on the F900EXR is as fast as it says it is. EXR Auto works perfect. Always chooses the correct scene. Pictures are clear even when fully zoomed at 20x. Lightweight & easy to put in a purse. I don't think it will fit in a pocket. Nights shots are great. I never need to choose Pro Low Light or High ISO/Low Noise, b/c EXR Auto does the best. Action shots are great. I find I get the best shot when using burst/continuous setting. I have captured kids throwing a football & running with zero blur.

The camera feels nice and looks good.

Video is poor. If you set the zoom before starting the video, it will be ok. But if you need to zoom in & out, it takes a while for it to refocus. I would not shoot even home videos with this camera. This will not work in a setting where you might be filming a child in a play. You will not be able to move the camera to follow them or zoom in.

The reason for 4 stars ... I have had 3 of these cameras in my hand ordered from Amazon. All have had a small scratch/scuff on the lens. I have gently cleaned the lens with a dry microfiber lens cloth to see if it was smudge, and it was definitely a scratch/scuff. I have viewed pictures on a laptop screen & printed 4x6's, and it does not seem to show up in images. But I'm wondering how this is happening.

Comparing this to a Fuji S8200, b/c my 8 year old son bought & loves that camera. I used it to take snapshots at a family Christmas to test it. F900EXR images have slightly more noise. S8200 has 40x zoom compared to 20X on the F900EXR. Both can take clear shots fully zoomed with a steady hand. F900EXR has just slightly faster autofocus. And only slightly. The S8200 is slightly smaller than a dslr, and it's a little heavy. Video on the S8200 is great. The autofocus works great.

As I stated earlier, I eventually went with a dslr b/c image quality is my top priority right now. If I was going to choose a point and shoot, it would be the F900EXR.
on February 22, 2016
I bought this camera for my daughter after her small point and shoot canon died. She is very interested in photography so I wanted to get her something that was still compact but had some good manual controls so she can learn. What I didn't expect is how good this thing shoots in low light, especially in EXR Auto mode. We set up a small Christmas village in the house and took pictures of it with the lights off, and the range on her camera is far better (as in not even close) than my Olympus SH-50. I found that crazy because all of the comparison sites seemed to think the SH-50 should be superior. I guess that makes sense because the EXR mode is meant for low light, but on top of that the colors are very pure and accurate and I think that in modes like sunset it does a great job. The only issues are that the WiFi mode is pretty much junk, especially since you can't use that mode as a remote shutter release for self-portraits​ as far as I can tell, and finally the image stabilization could be better, but then again I am comparing it to an Olympus camera with 3 and 5 axis stabilization. I have included 3 photos my daughter took with the camera. She is currently into macro photography but I think the photos do a good job of showing the color accuracy and clarity you can get from the camera.
review imagereview imagereview image
on November 28, 2013
This is the best travel super zoom I have used. This is a large(for a compact) 1/2" EXR sensor. For a camera that fits in a pocket(small pocket at that), the image quality is very impressive. Once you learn how to get the best out of the EXR modes and the Low Light Pro mode, you can get some excellent images. Even if you leave it in Auto EXR mode, you should get some great shots in most situations.
PROS:
Larger than normal sensor for a compact
Much better high iso performance in the EXR low light mode than most compact cameras
Great 20x zoom range
Great value for the $$$
Wireless built into the camera
Blazing fast auto focus

Cons:
Battery life is average(rated at 260 shots)
If you shoot in raw, the supplied silkypix software is probably best to use for this sensor's raw output and it's a bit "clunky"

I have retired my Micro 4/3rds camera and this is the camera I used most of the time now. It's a great deal.
on April 24, 2015
I have only owned this camera for a day, so I can't testify to it's longevity, but I absolutely love it. Great zoom, a wealth of advanced shooting modes, good images on full auto, excellent wifi transfer to pc, fits in your pocket. JPEG Picture quality is excellent, and I haven't used RAW capture yet. Haven't tried to transfer to my smartphone yet but it does that too. As far as I know it does geotagging but I don't think it has a POI database. Maybe facebook does that when pics are uploaded? I don't really care about that much though. It has some limitations. Some shooting modes max out at 8 megapixels, I don't think it will transfer RAW images or videos via wifi. Probably a good thing since it would probably use up the battery as those files are huge. Wifi transfer appears to be 10mb/sec so pretty slow by todays standards. 500 megabytes took about 10 minutes. For me, this camera is replacing a Nikon P100 superzoom (26x). I really liked that camera, but this one blows it away. Pictures are more detailed (16 megapixels vs. 10) picture quality is comparable (both are cmos) but the Fuji should give me better low light performance. The advanced modes on the Fuji are really good, like the pro low light mode and soft focus, but these max out at 8 megapixels. There are other modes that are good for similar shots that will go up to the full 16 megapixels, though. Focusing time is fast, a big selling point for this camera. If you're in the market for a compact superzoom, I highly recommend this camera

Update #1- It DOES transfer video via wifi!!
on April 4, 2016
First of, for those other Fuji-lovers out there, this camera is still an amazing addition to the Fuji line-up of cameras. It retains the legendary Fuji digital camera quality that beats Nikon, Sony, and Panasoc cameras hands down. It takes real pictures, showing real colors, not pastel-paintings of "pistures" we often see with other camera brands.

Second, I need to disclose that I simply LOVE this camera!!! I bought this one to replace a now-dead 4-year old Fujifilm F700EXR that died out due to impact :( and this camera operates similarly to the 700EXR, but faster, better lens, and couple more features. It also has the SD card slot for the ultra fast SD-card Class 10, I-3 memory cards, which has helped fix some of the video lag issues with 700EXR had.

I wrote a review to the Fuji 700 EXR camera (in 2012), if you are curious: https://www.amazon.com/review/R3JLTDH36KKJWL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Back to the Fuji 900EXR (the main purpose of this review):

*As I said before, this camera is an all-around home run. 20x optical zoom lens, ultra-light weight, fast shutter speed, fast between pictures, great quality photos, amazingcamera design/appearance, custom settings alore, Wifi transfer of pics, and battery lasts a long time. This is as good as it gets for a point-and-shoot pocket camera.

After the battery charged for first time (took about 2.5h), I started taking random pics all around the house and some outside of the window. The menus can be bit quirky at first, but I quickly got used to them very quickly and the camera itself is very easy to use, even for someone with mid-tech skills (I am advanced on technology knowledge, and this was so simple that I expect someone with basic understanding of tech to figure this out fast). The manual is very handy to use, you can learn this camera from scratch in 5-10 mins tops.

Top 10 Positives:

1) Sexy camera! I feel like I pilfered this camera off Batman's utility belt. This camera looks awesome.

2) Pictures are SHARP AND CLEAR, if you are using the right mode for the scene! I cannot stress the importance of this enough after the Sony HX9V's horrible coloring of my orange cat and over-washed pics and the Panasonic Lumix ZS20's almost 100% blurry picture rate!

3) Tons of fun "scene" modes to use. Unlike many other newer cameras that prevent flash use when you want, the flash IS indeed an option in almost all of these modes. This means I can customize (ex: "face mode" with flash produces very nice, fast action pics... "sports mode" without flash is faster, but sometimes forcing flash helps, etc.

I have to admit, I LOVE choosing my own settings, and that is fun for me. If you want, the EXR mode is automatic and chooses best mode given scene type, speed of target of pics, lighting, etc.

4) Flash pops, but it moves forward, which creates space to hold camera with left index finger, which is a huge help to keep camera steady (see negative comment on this as well).

5) The LCD screen is sharp and crisp!

6) It is easy and fast to scroll through pics and delete bad ones. It is also easy and fun to zoom and see every detail (the 16MP sensor is unreal and excellent!).

7) Battery life is nice in long. I took well over 150 pics, most with flash and still had tons of juice left in my first battery charge. I bought second battery in case I am on the road.

8) 20x zoom in a tiny camera! It is a huge zoom and pics zoomed at 20x (*no "digital zoom" used, this is all physical lens and focus) came out 95% clear. For point-and-shoot camera, it is incredible!

9) Again, I am sorry, I again point at camera's looks/design. I went out with friends, they thought this was a $500 to $1,000 camera, just based on cool looks. Someone call Batman and see if his camera is missing. :).

10) Fast/agile moving zoom (despite minor motor noise, but minor); fast camera time from off to on and ready to shoot. Fast LCD turn own screen.

Top Negatives (mostly "quirks", really):

1) If I must complain about something, it would be the manual activation of the pop-up flash (you have to hit a button to make flash pop-up once before each use and once it is up, take as many pics as you want with flash just fine). The flash is regulated by camera's sensor, the only thing you "activate" is make it "pop-up" once before use. That is it.

Although some may view this as a negative, I actually think that it is a positive, as the automatic pop-up flashes can really be disruptive if you hold the camera as most do (with your left index finger right on the top-left of the camera for stability).

The benefit is that you can "force not-use" flash by not raising it. Certain modes can overuse flash in even-slightly dark scenes and not popping flash up = no flash. :)

After using the camera for a few hours today, I now push the flash button up as soon as I turn on the camera and since flash pops FORWARD, I can then use that space behind the flash to have my index finger in and hold camera steadier.

2) Flash does not come up on its own. But I can assure you, after one day taking pics around, I already got used to turning camera on and popping the flash at same time, so I can rest index finer on flash slot. :)

3) The "rotator" sensor (when you take landscape or portrait pics - "up or down" style pics) does not rotate the date, which is kinda silly. So I can have a portrait pic ("standing up/vertical) with date sideways instead of bottom of the pic. Not a "problem" per se, but it is annoying. Rotation on camera can be kind of "iffy" at times in detecting correct position of image; I can handle that using camera's rotate feature or do it in my PC after downloading pic.

4) Battery cannot be charged inside camera. This annoys me, but Fuji claims the heat from battery charging inside camera can lower camera expected life. The charger is very thin and recharges fast from drained to full, but this means I need a 2nd battery for travel, just to be sure.

5) May take a day for those with low tech skills to learn, especially if wanting to use all the awesome features, like the Scene modes ("SP" on the little selector wheel) or the different "shortcut" buttons, like the "F" button or the "FN" button (not needed, but cool to use - I use these to change pic sizes fast, so I can take 1mp pics for quick uploads vs 4mp pics for printing, etc).

6) The video feature lowered my previous 5 star rating to a 4.5 star rating. Why? Because when you zoom in or out, the camera loses focus and the image `blur' for a second. Not major to me, as I am a photo-taker, but you should know about this quirk. Videos look clear most of the time and sound was good as well. If you have a Class 10 SD memory card, it can reduce that quite a bit - see: SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC Flash Memory Card with up to 95MB/s- SDSDXPA-032G-X46 for one of best photo cards you can get, especially for this camera.

I will upload some of my pics from today so you can get an idea of the camera's potential. Keep in mind that I have not yet been able to test the "scene" modes on landscape (I will take some mountain shots tomorrow) or the "soft skin" mode, which I want to use on my wife and see what she looks like with it. My cat pics looks cool, and I have some other "test pics" uploaded on the camera's page for your review.

So far as about 4h playing with the camera, and using flash like crazy, the battery is still showing as "full" and the pics have been incredible, so far!

I will keep updating this review, but as of right now, this camera is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, and that is not saying enough after almost 3 months of research and playing with cameras at BB/Target and suffering with 2 other horrible digital cameras.

Quick tips if you want to try and "scene" (SP) modes:

Best indoor/low light mode (some light, indoors): Party
Best pet (fast moving): sports (with flash).
Best steady pet mode: cat or dog, depending (it will focus on pet's face).
Best portrait mode (indoors): soft skin
Best all purpose/easy auto mode: turn wheel to EXR.

UPDATE: As of 4/1/2016, the Fuji FinePix F900EXR is an 9 out of 10 on my scale with 10 being camera best ever (or 4.5 out of 5). GET THIS CAMERA if you love "scene" mode pictures, fast "auto mode" EXR's crispy and beautiful pictures or just want a fun, small, light, and cool "pocket camera". This is not a professional camera, but for the $300 or so and for what you get, this is a home run all day long.

Update #2: As of 11/3/2012: Tons of pics taken, including through glass of landscape (mountains miles at distance, full zoom). All pics continue to come out sharp and crisp, with very nice tones. Backlight mode works perfect (sunset scene/mode used). I have taken at least 100 pics so far, have uploaded them twice to my PC (using camera) and I still have 2/3 of the battery power.

My 2nd battery charge 55 minutes, from red blinking low to full. I am on my 2nd charge from out of the box and the battery is fine.

More pic samples coming. More info and updates to come on this little gem of a camera. :)
Christian
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 7, 2014
This Fuji model is proving to be a good choice after narrowing possible selections down to it over a months or so of investigating. It fits well into a shirt pocket (even got an iPhone in there with it this morning in a stretchy shirt) and the handling ergonomics are right. It turns on quickly and saving to the sd card is fairly fast. The menu system is inspired compared to other compact cameras I have owned or handled, and access to and changes in the menu system are quick.

While I'd prefer a viewfinder composing is not difficult except in bright sunlight and at higher zoom levels. Screen brightness is helpfully adjustable to cope with this. Hand holding even at 20x is not difficult and the stabilization assists in obtaining images as sharp as the lens is capable of.

There a several options for focusing and metering available and rapid choices can be made by mapping the Fn and eFn buttons for those or other purposes.

Raw file conversion (RAF on the Fuji) by SilkyPix is included and seems to be very capable software. While there is a learning curve
doing these conversions and the software seems rather slow, nearly every possible conversion choice is included. Single or batch conversions are possible. Shooting in EXR mode yields images nearly as good and certainly more easily for usual pocket camera purposes. The other big camera choices (P, S, A, M, and numerous scene modes) are all easily possible with a turn of a dial.

Warranty information was in Japanese except for English stating valid only in Japan, so that status is unclear. If that's important to you check it out. The little camera has a good, solid feel to it and if durability matches feel I'll be happy, wishing only for an even sharper lens than the capable Fujinon on it. Going to buy extra batteries as it's a keeper.