Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 27, 2012
I am happy with this camera. I am old enough (49) to have grown up with regular film and Polaroid cameras. We all had one as teenagers and young adults. I still have my Polaroid in my room, and would love to still use it, but real polaroid film is not made anymore, and the "experimental" film is $3.00 a shot. This camera gives me 'polaroid-like' capability for only 75 cents a shot.

So pricewise -- I am quite pleased. Photo quality -- also pleased, it's not a gajillion pixels, so don't expect that, it's different technoloty. As I am old and used old cameras, this camera is not as 'huge' as folks seem to think. I expect it's all relative and if you grew up with cameras that fit in your shirt pocket, then OK, it's huge. But if you grew up with old SLR film cameras, then it's not. The plastic of the camera does seem fragile to me (hence the 4 stars) -- so don't drop it. But at $60 or so, it could be replaced if that does happen. Picture size is decent, I'm glad I didn't get the fuji camera that takes the smaller photo's -- I'd have been disappointed.

I have listened to the advice from others, that this camera doesn't do well in low-light situations, so my first two packs of film have been shot outdoors with great results. It's a wonderful for outdoor photography. I turned the flash on for exactly one photo (my granddaughter underneath a shaded tree) and the flash washed out the shot. I took it again with the shade and no flash, and it came out better in my opinion. I have yet to take indoor photos, so I can not comment on those.

But lets get to the real reason I bought this camera --- instant photography. As I went through my photo albums earlier in the year, I saw a wonderful collection of my family photos from the 1980's through the early 2000's. Then, there was a jarring 6 or 7 year gap, with just a few random photos. They are on the computer, on CD's, on line perhaps, but they are not in my home. They are intangible blips of electrons which require technology and a password to access. They are locked away and will eventually disappear.

I know I could take the time to find them, select the best ones, print them or put them on a flash drive and have them printed out at Costco. But for some unexplicable yet human reason, I haven't done so, and I likely would not do so in the future. It's not laziness --- it's just that there are always more urgent, pressing things to get done as I work and raise a family.

So I decided to purchase this camera, keep it on the fireplace mantel for easy access, use it, and encourage my wife and daughters to also use it as they like. The photos collect on the mantel as well, next to my photo album, which is starting to come to life again.

Each photo is unique --- it's one of a kind that is not shared via a smart phone or computer or Facebook. They are personal, intimate memories of my family and friends, which reside on the bookshelf for life, forever accessible by the real world rather than the digital world.

-Shawn in Oregon

2013-January Update:

After six months or so, this is still my go-to camera for family photos. I have taken a bunch of indoor photos, and while not as vivid as outdoors, they are OK. The foreground (the people) are generally lit up and the background is dark, but such is the nature of this 'Polaroid' camera. I still recommend this camera, it still sits on the mantle where my wife and I grab it frequently. Each time I order a book or other item from Amazon, I throw in a twin pack of film for this camera as well to take advantage of the free shipping.

2014-May Update:

This camera is still working fine and taking good photos. It works as well today as it did when first purchased. I am puzzled by reviews which mention broken cameras and poor pictures. That has not been my experience..

2016-Aug Update:

I just ordered another 100 pack of film from Amazon. This camera is still working well four years later, and sees lots of use. Just thought I'd mention that, in case folks are wondering about durability. I haven't dropped it though, but nothing has jammed or otherwise broken after four years of normal usage.

44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 10, 2010
I actually used this for a photo guest book at my wedding. I had a table set up with some sample pictures taken by friends and a little sign telling people to please take their picture and leave it for us. We are now putting together a small scrap book with all of the pictures. I'd say there are about 60-70 photos that were taken and only 3 or 4 are bad quality and can't be used. About 10 or so are really good quality, and the rest are what you would expect from a classic polaroid. I'm glad Fuji came out with this. Great product!
22 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 14, 2016
I love my instax! In an age where everything is digital, it's nice to have physical Polaroid style photos floating around. Easy to use, but I only wish the film was a little less expensive.
on August 18, 2013
Great Price, exactly as described, best deal I could find online or in store! great gift idea and tons of fun!
on December 18, 2017
Perfect little pictures for scrapbooking
on October 3, 2011
I absolutely love this camera. It's everything I was looking for in a modern instant camera.

-It's big, but I think this is a plus; it makes it look unique. It also looks... well, not retro, but at least different.
-It is very easy to load the photo cartridges (Though it wasn't exactly obvious that you have to hit the capture button once, so that the camera automatically spits out the first blank plastic piece).
-The quality is amazing in my opinion; very clear. Of course, not DSLR quality: it has a rather retro feel, depending on the lighting (the more prevalent the flash lighting is in the picture, the more washed out/retro it looks). Also, mine has some very light, random vignetting and every now and then small (barely noticeable) light leaks. All things I was looking for, and they are very light effects on the picture. It doesn't affect the clarity or contrast however, which are great.
-It fits quite well in my hands, and I have pretty typical young male hands.
-It takes four AA batteries, and they seem to last quite a while (I have taken over 40 pictures with the included batteries)
-The photos themselves are very durable, which is normally assumed of instant film, but you never know.

-Pretty awful low-light shots. Not quality-wise; actually the blacks are amazing (I guess this is just film in general). But as far as exposing dark environments, this has been my experience: after about dusk, the camera will only pick up things directly in the flash zone (so maybe like 3-6 feet max). Of course, depending on the ambient light and such.
-It is not a light camera, but not any heavier than you would think. However, the strap it comes with is too thin, and digs into my neck after several hours of walking around. For random use, it's fine.
-The film isn't exactly cheap, but it's much better than getting the 3rd-party specialty film for that camera you were probably -really- wanting
on January 31, 2017
Its a cool little camera. The pics are not as good as digital but its good to play with. Its a fantastic price also. The film is about one dollar per photo and that is the same price as it was with the instant cameras in the 1960's. Try it and you might like it.
on May 12, 2015
We bought a few of these cameras to use at our wedding. We had them available for guests to take pictures of themselves upon arrival in lieu of a traditional guest book. The cameras are great and the photo quality is stellar (for an instant camera - obviously, this isn't going to give you high quality digital images). I would've given this 5 stars, but....these cameras seem to be a bit delicate. We bought five of them and, although they made it through the wedding unscathed, 4 of the 5 broke shortly thereafter. They were lightly handled, so it's not like they were being abused. That said, they were a huge hit and multiple people asked where they could buy one. One other thing - the film is expensive.
on December 17, 2016
I always buy all my instant film needs on Amazon, I find they have the best price for film. This camera is very bulky and there is a newer, "smaller" (but still a bit bulky) version than this one. Be careful with this camera too, because if you accidentally bump it on something it will likely break. It's cheaper to buy the camera again instead of fixing it, so buy a carrying case! There is a wide version and small, wallet size film version that Fujifilm makes. They develop fast and the wide film size is fun! Everybody loves a 'polaroid' for the vintage look and feel. I would also recommend an album for these photos because the film stacks take up some room and you don't want to lose any!
on December 20, 2010
I asked for this camera for my birthday this year and I love it. I really missed being able to go to the store to buy Polaroid film really quick and just shooting right away, but this is a great replacement. At my party I took a picture with everyone using the macro lens and instantly put in in an album where people signed it. Plus the price it is on amazon is incomparable to urban outfitters its the same price but with 100 sheets of film. On urban outfitters it is just the camera. the only thing you have to watch is always to remember to change your setting from 3m - infinity to the marco mode because i sometimes forget and end up with some bad shots.