Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 164 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 183 reviews
on July 15, 2014
I got this camera for my cousin's bachelorette camping party and she had the mini 8 version. Originally I researched a lot of websites that did a side-by-side comparison and read lengthy reviews between the Mini 8, 50S and 90.
According to a lot of sites, they recommended 50S because of the color and ease and mid-price range.
However, my cousin's Mini 8 had different settings for light (day vs night) and the color quality overall was far richer than my Mini 50S. I still really like the Mini 50S but feel it would have been so much better if it had similar color quality for the prints and options to change light source settings.
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2013
As a gadget geek, I can really appreciate when something different with personality comes along.

Design:
This camera is one of the smallest and most compact instant cameras that you can buy. It is also the smallest Fujifilm Instax model that is offered (to my knowledge). Of course it is still sort of chunky by today's compact camera standards, but if you have some experience with instant cameras in the past, this camera is a huge improvement in form and size.
I am able to hold and operate the camera with one hand, taking pictures easily both vertically and horizontally. The battery compartment protrudes slightly from the body creating a nice area for you to firmly grip the camera. Small nubby grips strategically located all over the back further assist you with gripping. There are two shutter buttons, one on front and one on side/top. Great for small hands or self-portraits. An LCD keeps track of how many photos are left as well as flash/timer status. Additional buttons for flash, timer, and lightening/darkening of photos are located on side.

Picture Quality:
Pictures come out about as expected for instant photos. A picture with good lighting come out the nicest - sharper and more vivid. The camera performs well outdoors in sunny weather however, I agree with other reviewers and have also noticed a tendency for overexposure - particularly when it's overcast. I also don't know if the camera has any sort of auto white balance but it's not very good.

Indoor photos a Flash is a must - I have found that indoors even with good lighting the picture will come out underexposed. Always use the flash and use the light/dark setting to fine tune your picture. The depth of field is mediocre at best. Not that it matters since this isn't being used for anything important...but it is worth noting that it is very difficult to get anything beyond my subject to appear clearly in the background sometimes. Hard to explain but it's not bokeh, it's just so washed out that it's non-existent. I took a picture of my car outdoors in cloudy daylight and none of the houses or even the street behind my car really showed up in the picture - it was very faint and "ghostlike"...though my subject was just fine. This was less of a problem indoors. As long as there was good lighting, indoor photos showed up clearly from the front of the room to the back. I'm not an expert and don't want to speculate what the issue may be, but I can say that if your background is more than, say, 10- 15ft from your subject it's probably not going to show up in your picture well (though your subject will still come out nicely). It's not very surprising to me as I have had similar difficulties in the past with other instant cameras. Perhaps it could be corrected with additional lighting if available or repositioning somehow, but it's not usually feasible since you don't get a lot of shots to a cartridge to reshoot every photo...not to mention the cost.

One more thing worth mentioning is camera shake...To be honest I am so used to shooting spur of the moment digital photography with all kinds of "assists" and vibration reduction that it's been some time since I've shot an "unassisted" camera...I had to re-learn to hold this camera still (and breathe out as I engaged shutter) like the old days. Another reviewer mentioned "fuzzy pictures", well, I can almost tell you for certain that it was because of vibration. Is this a good camera for young children? Probably not. Nor is it great for catching action shots..unless of course you want the blurred effect! I know it sounds like there are a lot of negatives about this camera but it's not unusual for an instant camera to have these issues in my experience. The quality of instant photos look about the same as they did 30 years ago and I don't know if manufacturers never bothered to improve the technology or if it's just inherent to it. Nevertheless instant photos with all of their flaws are the distinguishing characteristics that make them special from its gazillion megapixeled counterparts. There is always going to be a sentimental feeling behind every instant photo...something you just don't get from viewing the thousands of digital photos we all have that no longer seem....well...interesting. With anyone and everyone armed with a cell phone taking professional looking, yet homogeneous, photos nowadays I happily welcome any change.

This camera comes with a 60mm fixed focus lens with a minimum distance of 0.6m. Mine came with a macro lens attachment that clips onto the front of the camera lens. I have yet to experiment with it since film is not exactly cheap - averaging about $1.00 per photo. Speaking of costs, I'm not happy that it uses 2 CR2 batteries but they seem to last a while. I'm sure like many these aren't the type of batteries we keep around the house like AA and AAA.

With that said I still highly recommend this camera. For the price range, this camera exceeds my expectations for value. I took this out the other day and it was a hit. It's rare to see someone shooting something other than a digital/mobile phone/ipad camera and even rarer to see an instant camera. Plenty of people have never seen one before and many haven't seen one in years. In a way an instant camera provides the same "instant gratification" as a digital camera only you get to have a one of a kind keepsake (or gift) in the end. And the excitement of watching the picture develop before your eyes is priceless.
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Instax cameras are simply fun. Any time you have one out when people are around you're going to get questions and comments, making them great for social events. This was my first Instax camera, chosen because I wanted something a little better than the Mini 8. I've been very happy with this purchase, It's a nice compact size, easy to use, looks good and the picture quality has been fine. My only gripe is the viewfinder is quite small and can sometimes take a moment for me to get my eye in the right spot.
on April 4, 2016
The camera arrived with the package very dented, and the camera itself doesn't seem to have a working display area. The space where it should tell you the remaining number of pictures left on the roll of film is not fully visible and doesn't change to reflect the correct number. This item was not so inexpensive that this is ok!
review image
on August 13, 2014
I'm completely head over heels for my new polaroid! I LOVE vintage like items and this is just perfect! Its so small and compack it fits in any ppurse, and takes high quality pictures. Other brands have way to many dials and settings but these have fewer easier to understand setting. I love it so much!
on October 3, 2015
I liked this alot - it was great to have it on a recent trip, but I think I would have preferred an instant that had larger film. That said, nice pics if they are up close, not so much at a distance. You won't be able to make details out. It's a bit large, but nice you can use it 2 different ways. It's good for what I needed it for. Most importantly, iIt's fun to have an instant camera again.
on October 7, 2016
I've wanted an instant film camera for a while, and this one is so much fun. If you want the traditional Polaroid size, this camera isn't for you, but if you want cute miniature photos, this is the way to go. It's really easy to use and takes amazing, richly-colored pictures that can fit in your wallet. The instant film packs are also not too expensive for this camera. I absolutely love it.
on March 5, 2014
This is not a bad camera. The feel to it can seem somewhat cheap due to the plastic structure, but the quality is up to par. The quality of images is exactly as you would expect, has the retro but non grainy look of a polaroid. This is a fun and cool camera, but beware, the photos are literally wallet sized. They are about the size of a library card. If you are looking for a camera that is going to replace a full polaroid or a digital camera, do not buy this. However, if you are looking for a fun camera that can take retro looking instant photos, this is definitely worth it.
on February 22, 2015
I really want to give 5 start to this camera. I have some fun time over this product even though I didn't use it a lot since I get it in 2003. However, I just feel that the color quality is not that strong as it is easy to get people in a light color on the photo and sometimes I feel the photo is easy to be whitening. It goes with the flash forever and the photo is just too light and cannot show some color clearly. I tend to use it in a darker mode whenever possible. May be this is a problem of all instax camera but I hope color quality could be improved
on May 23, 2014
I love this Fujifilm Instax Mini camera! The instant photos are always a big hit parties. It's like the good old days!!  My 3 yr old and 5 yr old daughters love having their pictures taken and then watching themselves instantly appear in the photos. It's like magic to them ;-)