Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2009, 4:17:24 PM PST
R. Simpon says:
OK, in the age of HD TV, this term is becoming a bit distorted. Does the term 'full screen' here apply to standard (old-school) TV's (which would make it 'pan-n-scan'), or full screen in terms of widescreen TVs...in which case the aspect ratio remains basically unaltered?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009, 7:58:41 AM PST
birdman says:
Although I originally saw movie at the theater, I don't recall the aspect ratio (I hadn't even heard the term "aspect ratio" when it was released 20 years ago!). But looking at the listing for it on IMDb it shows it as 1:33. Apparently the director chose to film it in what is now considered full screen rather than wide screen which means that it will have black bars on the sides when viewed on a wide screen TV. It will not be pan and scan as it will be in the format in which it was released at the theater.

Posted on Feb 9, 2009, 12:12:03 PM PST
IMDb indicates that this great film was shot in widescreen (1.85:1). Consequently, if indeed this release is in a fullscreen (1.33:1) ratio, it is a pan and scan version. I would wait for the widescreen version, although it is also quite possible that the "fullscreen" claim in amazon.com's "product details" is incorrect. I would actually bet that amazon got it wrong.

Posted on Feb 24, 2009, 6:54:20 PM PST
Neil57 says:
I pre-ordered the DVD and it arrived today. It is definitely full screen, not OAR. I saw this in a theater 20 years ago when it was first released, it was definitely wide screen. My guess is that Lions Gate just dusted off their old VHS transfer and stuck it out on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009, 7:47:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2009, 7:47:53 PM PST
Thanks for the information Neil. I sort of anticipated that such was the case because I asked a fellow who was selling this DVD in a PAL (Region 2) version, and he told me that it was full screen. Too bad; I hope that someone else (maybe Criterion) will pick it up and give us the widescreen version someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009, 12:26:21 PM PST
birdman says:
You're quite right, IMDb has changed the aspect ratio from 1:33 to 1:85 in tech. specs. since I last looked at the site. So apparently this film was widescreen when released and my many viewings of the VHS release have dulled my memory. I have since received the copy I ordered and am sad to report that this great movie has been treated very shabbily by Lionsgate. I had hoped for a digitally remastered, Dolby 5.1 version with the original theatrical aspect ratio and am disappointed to find that it's no more than the VHS version transferred to DVD. Shameful!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Ironweed [VHS]
Ironweed [VHS] by Jack Nicholson (VHS Tape - 1994)
4.2 out of 5 stars (114)