Fun is Not Enough: The Complete Catholic Eye Columns Hardcover – June 20, 2018
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
- Publisher : En Route Books and Media (June 20, 2018)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 400 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1732414815
- ISBN-13 : 978-1732414815
- Item Weight : 1.63 pounds
- Dimensions : 5.98 x 1 x 9.02 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #8,359,680 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
"A timely novel highlighting the worth and delicate nature of Nature itself." -Delia Owens Learn more
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
by Francis Canavan, S.J., the National committee of Catholic Laymen, Inc.
reviewed by Samuel A. Nigro, M.D., retired psychiatrist & deplorable ad hominem pamphleteer...copyright c 2018.
This book is the collection of 123 marvelous essays written over several decades by Father Canavan, S.J.. They are historical intellectual philosophical masterpieces and "must reads" for anyone wanting to contribute to the re-establishment of the Love of God as relevantly contributing to human progress, development, nature, the Big Bang and salutary recompression back into the pre-BigBang from whence all came.
To review this book is a delight and I do not do it justice--It needs to be read. The best I can do is to list the chapter titles and the add a few words of reaction--You must read it all to find cornucopia of history and intellectual understanding of today's world mess. My words convey little of the wisdom, understanding, and counsel of Father Canavan.
1. On Being Personally Opposed--is the acceptance of evil.
2. Okay Clerics for Okay Kids--pretending to solve problems without virtue.
3. A Pluralist Church--liberal nothingness except feelings of virtueless crackpots--freedom today has turned into doing what is not virtuous (in contrast, true freedom is being able to choose virtue).
4. Preaching by Silence--nothing about sin or the ancient multiverses of the Church: heaven, purgatory, or hell.
5. The Real World--entropy awash by anti-Natural Law.
6. The New Sacraments--contraception, abortion, divorce...premarital sex, homosexuality, euthanasia...A Suggestibility Disease epidemic metastasizes from the press&media.
7. Nearer to the Heart's Desire--adolescent sentimentality, rebellion and arrogant know-it-all robots unable to engage transcendentally but only meaninglessly without mystery-creating questions....no spirit, no God, no heart, no mind.
8. The Loyal Opposition--oxymorons in action.
9. Standing at Armageddon--telling the future by shouting.
10. Tadpoles and Babies--personhood.
11. The Sermon on the Mount--computerize everything but add algorithms.
12. The New Skepticism--to be "free" is not the same as sinning or doing the unnatural without consequence.
13. The Hierarchy of Beings--humans are more being.
14. Infanticide--ancient Greeks had "baptism" and baby-in-a-pot-exposed "abortion" population control.
15. Liberty, Equality, and Order--need virtue for existence.
16. The Law Unbound--equal protection for all unless standards are virtue and nature.
17. The Pope's Dutch Treat--unnatural sex does breed unnatural troubles.
18. Losing the Faith--despair at entropy never finding the joy.
19. Viva la Difference--male female.
20. Liberalism and the Catholic University--indoctrination not education.
21. Rights as the Beginning and End--unborn vs. unpregnant.
22. The Americanization of Catholics--polling evidence and suggestibility diseases.
23. Stooping to Folly--unnatural sex and self self self haremfeminism imposed anti-male-virtue sexism.
24. How to Kill Freedom of Speech--drown it by free press prior restraint and censoring the free exercise of religion.
25. Dissolving the Norms--hypocrisy reigns...unnatural culture of masturbation..."gender" declared to be the acting out of feelings--which used to be a sign of mental illness.
26. Slogans for All Seasons--acting out of feelings is no longer a mental illness.
27. Intrinsically Evil Acts--Sir Thomas More in prison, awaiting Henry VIII's decision, wrote to his daughter Margaret: "And therefore, my own good daughter, do not let your mind be troubled over anything that shall happen to me in this world. Nothing can come but what God wills. And I am very sure that whatever that be, however bad it may seem, it shall indeed be the best." God's providence is mysterious because it is Spiritual and leads to good synthesis of Natural Law Transcendence of a nonspace/nontime Statimuum Immediacy of Eternity of the pre-Big Bang from which our universe exploded with its entropic freedoms allowed; so that, in contrast, "love" and Theogeocalculus can synthesize us back from whence we came, as God's providence gives joy and whatever happens is a gift, but you must make it so. I spent some unjust time in prison and interviewed hundreds of criminals discovering the cures for criminality and racism...My findings are gradually being appropriated--everything is a gift.
28. The Logic of Contraception--Humane Vitae reigns! Loss of nature...loss of childhood, loss of family, loss of gender...loss of psychosocial pheromone, loss of being.
29. Argument Stoppers--secular infallibility to prevent truth by proclaiming their "truths" which they know are wrong because they cannot debate them calmly.
30. A Divorce Culture--marriage is a Sacrament...it takes and act of God to make it work.
31. The Methodology Is the Message--scientists lie too...the National Academy of Science discontinued its "fraud" section because it was overwhelmed with complaints.
32. Order in the Soul--do good and avoid evil--Do transcendence and avoid non-being--Seek and find and live Spirit. There is more to life and being than physics and matter.
33. Going to Hell--Justice is an existential truism--you will get in the pre-BigBang what you did and deserve in response to your love or its lack in space/time...the immediacy of it all at "once" in Eternity.
34. Ladies in Writing--haremfeminists destroy everything.
35. Lost in the Cosmos--self burial in materialism--denial of Spirit but unwittingly using it all the time.
36. "Imposing" Moral Beliefs--is prohibited, but it is not the absolute prohibition of conservative thought.
37. Selective Listening--suggestibility disease epidemic of press & media undeserving of the First Amendment.
38. Why Anything Goes--making nice but no virtue allowed.
39. Sunset of the Enlightenment--repudiation of Nature and Nature's God...replaced by hidden hate, which is really envy.
40. Meaning in a Meaningless World--abortionismo--the destruction of every thing if life is not respected.
41. Equal---and Separate--antimalevirtuesexism.
42. Not Tea for Two--sex destroys by making people crazy--immodesty is a public health hazard because it creates sex assault and it IS sex assault.
43. The Severed Link--denatured sex is pollution--technology reigns.
44. Christian Freedom--choose virtue and transcendence...the rest of the universe is the entropy for Love. No other creature has the "right to choose." So choose Virtue and Transcendence.
45. Those Who Care, Govern--No...those who are corrupt, govern.
46. A Disintegrating Culture--gay cult genital maniacs taking over imposing a culture of masturbation.
47. Ordered Liberty--freedom to disregard virtue resulting in slavery by the ACLU..
48. The Feminine Touch--a touch of innate transcendent differences.
49. Plastic People--genetic engineering is not Nature and Nature's God...it is not even evolution.
50. All of This for Me--the Statimuum and Roman Catholic Physics.
51. Dying for Mama--abortion is very PERSONal even when you give up your life for your mother. In the 1970s, I did what is described to a pro-abortion reporter and she never wrote the article after she spoke with me.
52. The Problem of Evil--original sin, choice is necessary for freedom to exist...Godel's Theorems and the Anthropic Principle.
53. The Rot in Liberal Politics--corruption reigns and the law is a contemptible unConstitutional "established religion."
54. Good Old Edmund Burke--on good education for Catholic clerics.
55. How to Read A Newspaper--do not be suggestible--just read sports and weather forecasts.
56. An Uncertain Trumpet--a few priests.
57. Papal Social Thought--"equality" of opportunity, private enterprise, and the Principle of Subsidiarity, all based on "content of character."
58. "Reason" and Abortion--they want the right to kill.
59. The Family Issue--the unlimited state, by law, destroys all into slavery run by corrupt politicians whose "royalty status" requires destruction of childhood and parenthood (the "family"). Today, with "gender" rendered meaningless, "family" is a myth with traditional virtuous culture destroyed. Family meant freedom--now there is neither.
60. Taking Christmas Seriously--the anti-Christmas bigotry and anti-Christian intolerance are anti-historical, unscientific, mean, and hateful arrogant selfishness against joyful humanity...jealousy pure and simple demonstrating how sub-human some people can be.
61. Civilization Is for the Civilized--synthesis replaces entropy.
62. The Devil We Know--Satan is the personification of evil, non-being, and entropy. Ancient parables and Dante do the best job of proving the punishing justice each may receive, if deserved, in the pre-BigBang multiverse of Hell. You are going to be subjected to your sins Eternally--call it justice.
63. Handling the Easy Cases--abortion is never easy...nor the answer. The answer is prevention by returning to "natural sex" as in nature: pheromone determined to be reproduction consistent acts between opposite-sexed adult members of the same species, identified for thousands of years as "marriage." The animals are prohibited by nature from treating sex like humans now do; it would be "animal cruelty" to force them to do so. Nature knows better and controls by pheromones and marriage.
64. Our Liberal Censors--Immodesty and disgust reign supreme provoking violence and sexual assaults galore from homosexual priests to physicians molesting young girls--in museums, media presentations, and advertising. But my "conservative art" collection--"House of Terror in America, Doc Nigro's Inferno, Human's Against Humanity, Power Corrupts", of 23 paintings, are refused showings and BANNED BY LIBERALS. What frauds-of-art liberals are as they censor "art" they do not like.
65. To Whom Shall We Go?--Never tell a pollster the truth...ruin their data...they will lie about it anyway.
66. Temporary Popularity--is non-spiritual and will not last--call it "celebritism."
67. The Customer's Rights--I think physicians refusing to open medical records, as required by Hippocratic Medicine for thousands of years, came to an end when judges were asked to allow young girls to have abortions without their parents' permission. The medical records confirmed the girls were in "need" of the abortion. And "abortion" thereby aborted the medical profession which does not exist any more except as employees ("indentured servants" really) of the health insurance third party industry which now controls medical care by mandating all medical records now opened against Hippocratic Medicine.
68. "Man-Made Laws"--Marriage is a Sacrament which means that it takes an act of God to make it work...and it will work if you stick with God--at least always say Grace before every meal with each other...and go to weekly Mass and monthly Confession--also, fight fair/forget fast/forgive/ask forgiveness/LOVE always.
69. How to Write Libspeak--just reject virtue.
70. Why Squirrels Can't Sing--totally materialist.
71. Downhill Passions--Liberalism, contraception, abortion, fornication, Super Woman, haremfeminism, pornography, gay cult genital maniacs, promiscuity, prurience, drug-use to "escape," immodesty, satanism, atheism, secularism--all result in sex assaults and rape and violence--#me too.
72. Salvation One by One--Why are you, you? Why aren't you someone else?
73. Celibacy and Contempt--understanding marriage as part of Nature and Nature's God.
74. Just a Matter of Taste--Hibernian victimism and its spread. Where are the Fighting Irish when you need them? I guess too many died at Gettysburg freeing slaves.
75. The Prophet Motive--sometimes leads to moral bankruptcy.
76. Family Is as Family Does--Obergefell v. Hodges destroyed "gender" rendering the "family" to be meaningless. The psychosocial pheromone of marital love governing human sexuality for thousands of years is gone.
77. When the Magic Is Gone--Marriage is the creation of a single creature with 2 heads, 4 arms, and 4 legs--it is part of Sacramental Immediacy.
78. Anything Goes, Almost--Prurience and immodesty are sex assaults on males, and haremfeminists are selfish psychopaths who should be treated all the time like the "men" they claim to be. Never treat a feminist like a woman. Never--anywhere, anytime, under any conditions. Follow the Equal Misery Amendment. See her as the man she claims to be and treat her exactly like you would a man...beginning with no engagement rings.
79. A God to Live For--Eternal Transcendence
80. The Court of First Resort--The U.S. Supreme Kooks basically prove the law does not care about truth or justice because it is the last court in a series of appeals and rulings which are repeatedly known to be untrue or unjust so another court level is always available and used. Thus, courts are opinions about legalisms to be passed on and on and on; because all know that courts do not give truth or justice but just give opinions to be passed on and on and on. And the rulings of "contempt" to reject criticisms of the court are the most glaring proof of the contemptibility of the court and law which has no other defense (The law converts its self-destruction into demanded-respect (no contempt allowed) thereby hiding its oxymoronic nature). That a "next" court is available, is innate proof that the previous court was a joke contemptible in pretenses of truth and justice.
81. The Sex Taboo Teens Need--Natural law and Nature's God--sex is against nature unless married. Sex is sacred in marriage; it is to be mocked and rejected when outside of marriage and when immodest.
82. The Culture of Death--virtueless hell.
83. Faith as a Burden--Sacraments and the Last Words are partially based on physics which is brought back to God by the anthropic principle.
84. A Veto on Morality? is not freedom.
85. What Dr. Freud Knew--Sex is consistent with reproduction in all nature, otherwise it is "perversion" and there would be no nature. Nature has biochemical pheromones; humans had psychosocial pheromone known as "marital love" to remain "in nature."
86. Madness in the Courts--abortionismo--no respect for life, no respect for anything.
87. Paying Our Dues--there will be justice--you will get what you deserve--which is whatever you did.
88. Middle-School Sex Mess--marriage is the human pheromone, otherwise, there is no love. Childhood and normal brain development are destroyed by adult sexuality and violence.
89. Home Swede Home--Sex "equality" is genderless. Immodesty by a prurient woman is sex assault on men as much as immodesty by a prurient man is sex assault on women. Equality means the same rights, obligations, and opportunities to maximally use one's own abilities with no consideration of gender--and the first sexist cultural inequality to go must be engagement rings.
90. The Ideological Mind--without virtue, without transcendence, without the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, and without the Ten Commandments, is no mind at all.
91. Does New York Believe Anything?--only the news that fits.
92. Happy Family Ties--only by a Right to Childhood for children.
93. Our Pluralist Sea--Is liberty anything or what is chosen from Nature and Nature's God?
94. Seen and Unseen--evolution and personhood.
95. Democracy's Disease--"Democracy's disease is the craving for absolute equality." But "absolute equality" is an oxymoron for all human activity--"inequality" is the only equality for everyone, but the spirit of Love makes life livable.
96. "Tell Us What You Want!"--Jewish Catholic relations and Pope Pius XII.
97. "Catch-22"?--an "open and shut case but nothing to charge him with." Sex abuse by a few priests during the sex revolution or, worse: the Suggestibility Diseases of press&media First Amendment frauds creating sex abuse every where?
98. Is There Golf in Heaven?--In the pre-BigBang, there will only be all the Transcendence you have lived Immediately forever, from cheering the Super Bowl to singing in rock-concert mood at Mass to birthday celebrations--Eternal Immediate Exuberance the Transcendentals of your life in the Statimuum!
The seven variables of all being known as transcendentals (from my pamphlet, "Male-Female Differences in Natural Law"), which comprise man’s "soul" or "spirit" aspects, are:
1. Res--matter--the confluence of being with matter completing it (applies to "event," and later to dignity and faith).
2. Aliquid--identity/form--the confluence of being with its form or essence (applies to "spectrum," and later to unity and hope).
3. Verum--truth--the confluence of being with reality (applies to "field," and later to integrity and charity).
4. Unum--oneness--the confluence with being itself and all desirables related to it establishing an epidermal unity with family, neighborhood, community, the world, universe, and God (applies to "quantum," and later to social-community identity and prudence).
5. Bella--beauty—the confluence of being with ascendency or "bringing out the best of itself and all around it" thereby elevating all involved (applies to "singularity," and later to spirituality and justice).
6. Bonum--good—the confluence of being with proper function in nature (proper choice and transcendental compliance in Natural Law (applies to "uncertainty," and later to liberty and temperance).
7. Ens--the being as having existence (applies to "dimension," and later to life and fortitude and also applies to "force," and later to pursuit of happiness and holiness).
These transcendental realities metaphorically spiritualize humanity. Priests and religious are “Transcendental Engineers” wielding the sword of matter, the scalpel of form, the battle ax of truth, the throw net of oneness, the battering ram of good, and the scaling ladder of beauty. Readers are encouraged to place themselves and all done into each physic reality as transcendentally possible. This will clarify "spirit", which can be further elaborated on and activated by the variables of healthy human interaction.
99. The Scandal Racket--the law is a business for the common good of politicians, lawyers, bureaucrats, administrators, and others who will vote for and support the politicians they work for.
100. The (Democratic) Party's Over--politics is a business for the common good of the law, lawyers, bureaucrats, administrators, and others who will vote for and support the politicians they work for.
101. Deep Weariness--I do not care why I am me.
102. The Real Crisis--loss of virtue--I will give names and examples of Transcendental behaviors. The virtues are many, and it has been understood that to have one virtue is to have them all (and vice versa). This being so, only the three Theological Virtues, the four Cardinal Virtues and Holiness will be listed, with confidence that any other virtue could be also comparably formulated into the Incarnation of the Word (and word's) of God on earth consistent with physic realities of Stephen Hawking (bold print).
1. Faith—event assent to God.
2. Hope—spectrum trust in ultimate positivity and ascension.
3. Charity—field of conscious commitment to perfection.
4. Prudence—quantum of practical reason seeing and recognizing the will of God in all things and aware of the interdependence of all virtues in life.
5. Justice—singularity regard for and giving to all that is due
6. Fortitude—dimension of strong, firm, assured, practice of all virtues in pursuit of the transcendentals.
7. Temperance—uncertainty of moderation and self-control in choice of desirables.
8. Holiness—force dedicated and consecrated to God's service.
These virtues are free will decision making by choosing paradigms of behavior which have a high probability of converting the Anthropic Principle into Incarnating finality. The virtues are most easily activated by living The Eight Last Words of Christ and Sacramental living.
103. The Primacy of Choice--Evil is the promotion of non-being.
104. Catholic Individualism--life, sacrifice, virtue, love, humanity, peace, freedom, and natural death without fear--the Catholic Mass Mantra.
105. The Linchpin of Sexuality--reproduction consistent love. As a Ph.D student said to me once: "American women are really something--you can get a hand job, a blow job, or a quick screw anytime--It has as much significance for our relationship as taking a leak. They are a harem." He mentioned this as he spoke of going soon back to his Caribbean country to find a woman to marry.
106. Modern Superstition--science.
107. Who Says So--beware of Suggestibility Diseases.
108. The Faith of Liberals--selfish spiritless virtueless self-righteous arrogance.
109. Political Thinking--subliminally what the press & media impose as government of the press, by the press, and for the press--because politicians major concern is what do the press editors and owners want.
110. The Basis of Society--the traditional family--and it takes an act of God to make it work which is why marriage is a Sacrament.
111. Laughing at the Court--penumbras.
112. What's Your Worldview?--"Why am I me"--the answer to be found in the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church.
113. Rot in the Soul--virtuelessness.
114. The Hearts of the Faithful--need the Statimuum
115. Women's Hearts--my pamphlet "Male Female Differences in Natural Law."
116. Believing Anything--like evolution without scientific criticism.
117. The Idea of the Good--Natural Law needed.
118. Something New and Different--not medicine, not genetics, not religion, but law--the computerization of the law and litigation into a "game" will bring more good, truth, and justice from the law than any thing else.
119. The Rock of Culture--The Church.
120. The Spiritual Solution--Live the Last Words of Christ...
121. Getting It All Here--Nope. You get it all in justice later--in the Statimuum of Eternity as in Roman Catholic Physics.
122. Community--the humanness variables: the community universals of dignity, unity, integrity, identity, spirituality with Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Transcendentals.
123. Growing Into--marriage and the multi-person two-headed but single creature of the home.
An overwhelming glimpse of and reaction to what is in Fun Is Not Enough. Thank you Father Canavan.
I would strongly commend the book to those who do not believe that the premises of the American cultural revolution deserve to be eviscerated.
They ought to enjoy confronting the opposite case at its best.