Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Prime Day Lead Up nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Get 4 months of Amazon Music Unlimited for $0.99. Prime member exclusive. New subscribers only. Just $7.99/month after. Terms apply. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Prime Day Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $1.99 rentals for Prime members 1.99 rentals for Prime members 1.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 21, 2012
The book gets right to the heart of the matter regarding typical problems a developer might (depending upon their experience level) encounter with SilverLight 4 and provides examples with sample code on "how to" solve the problem. While some might gripe that this is a cookbook like approach, I enjoy the fact that the explanations are presented using examples that the reader can try on their own, as I often go beyond the scope of the examples and experiment on my own, leading to more insight. Well done, Rajesh!
on August 4, 2012
I didn't find this book to be an illustrated guide to creating rich internet applications like the subtitle says. That subtitle makes me feel like the book will be more of a tutorial format and it's not. There is a small appendix called "Silverlight: A beginner's Guide" that gives a brief introduction to programming in Silverlight and how it works, but I don't feel that it's enough to get somebody from beginner to programming in Silverlight - you'll need a different book for that. To get a lot out of this book I think the reader should already be comfortable programming in Silverlight at some level.

The book is composed completely of problems and solutions. "How Can I access Silverlight Host Properties?" , "How can I work with custom parameters in Silverlight instances?", "How do I use the HTML Bridge?", "How do convert XML data into RSS and Atom feeds?", "How can I create a custom slide show?"...the book contains maybe 150 problems and their solutions. As such it's a good reference except for one thing: there isn't an index; this makes it hard to find information and therefore hinders the value as a reference book. The book also has editing problems and contains grammar errors.

I gave the book 4 stars because I think there's a lot of information in there and with diligence a reader can work through the book and learn a lot and the grammar errors can be overlooked.
on June 18, 2012
This book does cover fun and exciting ways to use silverlight. From a technical standpoint I like the topics covered. There is a lot to like in this book and as another reviewer noted the author cuts through the marketing hype and presents technical details in a very approachable way.

The only part I feel the book is a let down is in the way the code is presented. I feel the layout could have been better. This may seem trivial but when reading through code you need clarity in the layout.

Also while the editing is okay in the book, I feel it could be better.

Overall I think technically the book is spot on and it's a good read. The only drawback I think of is that Silverlight maybe a dead technology. But that is not the author's fault.
on April 13, 2012
The book "Fun with Silverlight 4" authored by Rajesh Lal is a handy guide for you to find specific solutions you want to achieve in Silverlight 4. The book covers a bundle of problem statements with solutions that a beginner to experienced professional needs. All the solutions were provided with a clear explanation and huge code examples, which you will not find in any other books.

The book takes an example approach for all problems and features, and illustrates with class diagrams what objects and methods are used and how the elements of a Silverlight project are created in easy to understand format.

The best part of the book is that it has a well structured index page which you can use to move forward to the particular problem statement that you are looking for. If you are a beginner, read the book as it is structured and that will be easy for you to learn Silverlight in a nice fashion.

I reviewed the book from the Technology point of view and believe me, it's a great book for you in your day to day development requirements. I recommend this book for all the professionals whether he/she is a beginner, intermediate or experienced as this will be a great book for your reference.

Complete Review of the book is available here: [...]

Cheers... ~Kunal
on February 15, 2012
This is a great book for someone looking to get a broad view of the Silverlight 4 platform. It is very simple to read/understand for anyone wanting to get started. The book is very illustrative - literally - to provide good visuals about each of the core concepts. At the end of reading this book and following the examples, the reader should be able to quickly start building "real" applications using the basic concepts.

For an advanced user, which I don't believe this book targets, it is missing some of the more larger aspects of deeper databinding understandings/techniques, development patterns (i.e., MVVM in depth), richer styling/templating of custom controls. Again, these are not what I'd consider fundamental to an introductory and as the book points out -- it is helping you learn by having some fun with Silverlight 4.

Recommend.
on January 22, 2012
The book dives right into the subject matter, so you can quickly get started having fun developing in the Silverlight environment. It starts off with a nice concise section on control layout management, some basic controls, and input and event handling. If you initially still need more of an overview of Silverlight in general, the author has graciously provided a Silverlight beginners guide in the appendix of the book. He does a super job here of identifying the various Silverlight components and how they interact to create the actual Silverlight application. The book lacks a traditional index in the back of the book. However, the table of contents is well structured and detailed so it is very easy to locate the topic or feature that you are looking for.

The book is laid out in the familiar cookbook style format. So it takes no time at all to swiftly lookup a problem or issue and see both a brief description of the solution and the actual code for the solution. The author does an awesome job of providing class diagrams throughout the book to show the inheritance hierarchy of the classes that you will use. A lot of books fail to provide this information, and this helps the developper get a better grasp of the overall Silverlight class library.

I have been developing in Silverlight for almost 3 years, and I learned some interesting information from the book in several areas. So, this book is suitable for both beginners and experienced Silverlight developers. The author covers some interesting topics like extending the browser (SilverlightHost, local storage, HTML Bridge, etc), integration with ASP.NET and AJAX, and interacting with web services.

Definitely a book worth getting!
2 people found this helpful
on January 16, 2012
Lately in the techworld its difficult to keep abreast with latest technologies and new developments.

I started using MSDN Magazine for that but its way too fast and does't fit my needs as I am serious developer. I got this book to give a shot at silverlight bec thats one of the frameworks or technology i was lagging way behind. I got this book and to me life has become simple and straight. I have already completed first 7 chapters and Let me tell you I am back coding heavily again on Silverlight.
Books is nicely done and simple to get and. Only one tip to author, he has a baseline chapter to give overview of Silverlight and which is in last few chapters.

This book is awesome thanks to author for making life simpler .

GREAT BOOK I RECOMMEND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KEEP THEMSELVES OUT OF CONFUSION AND MAKE LIFE EASIER.
on January 16, 2012

This book is awesome thanks to author for making life simpler .

on December 28, 2011
As the title goes this book does has the thing in it. It been a good experience in learning and working with silverlight referencing this book.

I really enjoyed the example Rajesh has chosen to explain the concepts of silverlight. one of the example really helped me out in official project. All the technologies related to silverlight viz Ajax, XAML is been easily understood here although those are not been covered in details here.

Overall good reference for web programmers.

I am really enjoying it.

Thanks Rajesh for a great edition. I really appreciate your effort.

Thanks,
Syed Ahmed
on December 22, 2011
Let me set the record straight. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a deeper understanding of Silverlight 4.

This book covers three sections of Silverlight 4:

Develop Silverlight Application
Interact with Web
Advance with Media

Each of these sections uses a problem/solution approach that covers not only the basics of Silverlight but all the topics you need to get you started. The book does not assume that you know anything about Silverlight. The author has included a entire chapter (11) showing you the basics.

The author has provided well-written problems and solutions that you would face in the real-world. The flow is excellent covering various situations taking you step by step along with complete source code. One of the great features of this book is that it has a quick index of all the problems that are solved, you can take a look at the index and get straight to the problem you are trying to solve. Excellent work!

Overall I strongly recommend this book to everyone as it is nice to read the book and also could be used as a reference.
3 people found this helpful