Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fundamental Techniques of Classic Cuisine
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 23, 2008
This book is outstanding! A must-have for every kitchen regardless of how experienced a cook you are. I attended the full time 6-month culinary program at the FCI a few years ago and this is almost verbatim our first quarter (6 week) curriculum. We then spent the next 3 quarters refining and practicing and expanding on all these techniques. If you don't want to sacrifice 6 months and $50,000 (an endless cuts and burns and bad hair days) to attend cooking school, then buy this book and cook every recipe over and over and you will become an excellent cook. If you master all the skills and techniques in the book, you can walk into any kitchen and hold your own as this is the foundation of classic cooking and the language of the kitchen.

Hints and tips from the Deans and Chef Instructors pepper the book for every technique with tidbits such as "...cook beans at a constant low temperature and cool them in their cooking liquid. ~ Dean Alain Sailhac" or "Do not cover a chicken after roasting or it will steam and make the meat taste reheated." ~Dean Jacques Pepin". It's like getting a personal cooking lesson from the greatest chefs of our time. The book teaches the 250 foundation techniques including stocks, sauces, soups, salads, eggs, potatoes, poultry, beef, veal, lamb, pork, fish, shellfish, marinades, stuffings, organ meats (my least favorite day in cooking school!), pastry dough, creams & custards, crepes, brioche, frozen desserts, meringues, mousses, and soufflés (my favorite day in cooking school! :)

It also explains in great detail terms in a kitchen, names of equipment and pots and pans, food safety, knifes and knife skills, and professional kitchen management. If you want to become an outstanding home cook or are considering or about to attend cooking school, I strongly recommend devouring (pun intended) this book. If you learn this book, or at least become familiar with all the techniques, then you will be leaps and bounds ahead of the game. Bon courage et bon appetit!
11 comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2008
1ST off, this is not a cookbook, but a textbook. Should you be interested in vastly improving your skills in the kitchen, buy this instead of wasting time watching "celebrity" cooking shows. Following the information provided in this book will not make you a professional chef, but will allow you to create and serve dishes that will make you the envy of the "foodie" group.
on January 25, 2010
This is a great book with lots of good content but the book itself is constructed poorly. The binding broke within minutes of opening and it feels like a few pages may fall out. Until it does completely fall apart though I will use it to learn french cooking technique.
on June 13, 2012
This is an amazing book to learn technique. It is very well written with a detailed instruction on how to execute cooking techniques. Is also important though that I note that the book is written by the French culinary Institute and as such covers French cooking techniques mainly classical. Some of these classical techniques are sauté, braising, poaching, grilling, frying, poele,and Roasting. The book also covers knife cuts and decent detail although if you are looking to learn knife cuts exclusively I would recommend looking into a different book that specializes in covering knife cuts. If you are a home cook looking to purchase this book I would venture to say it will greatly improve your cooking, if you're industry professional than I would venture to say will definitely sharpen your technique.
on August 4, 2009
This book is a must for anyone wanting to learn how the pros do it, or simply brush up on a few techniques. As for the recipes in the book, they're pretty good, but they're to illustrate the use of the techniques, so if you don't have the techniques down correctly, the results of the recipes will probably turn out less than spectacular. I was so angry when I saw this on Amazon for almost half of what I paid at Barnes & Noble... grr.
on September 8, 2009
It took me a long while to get this book and it's definitely worth it! It's a good book for someone who's looking to learn the fundamental and basic techniques as a start without paying a lot of money to attend the culinary school.
on August 27, 2014
I think this book is probably as close to Culinary School as I may get. The instructions to me are clear and concise. I didn't realize that food could be sliced into 1/16th in pieces until I read the book and tried it for myself. Also am having a lot of fun trying new things in the kitchen.
on July 19, 2010
Absolutely excellent book giving/showing/teaching basic cooking techniques.....after this book, "the World is your Oyster!"..... There are no finer books on the subject. 5/5-STARS....after this book, get Julia Child's book.....
on October 28, 2011
Love the content, but the publisher must be really cheap to put together such awful binding for this book. It is brand new yet already I can hear the binding tearing apart as I open the book. And I don't let it lay flat on the table, but prop the back cover up with my hand or another book, and can still feel how poorly it is constructed. I thought the comments here regarding the construction of this book were exaggerated, but they are not, it's all true.
on July 18, 2013
I checked this book out of the Library and, after renewing it twice (my limit on renewals), I realized that it was a book I absolutely HAD to own. I've been cooking for myself, my friends, and my family for years, and have always gotten rave reviews on my cooking. This book, however, is helping me to take it to the next level. By explaining the basics of how pretty much everything is cooked, it helps you understand exactly why you do certain things in the kitchen, and why they make a difference in your food.

I would recommend this both for experienced cooks and for beginners, as its instructions are very clear, and it is organized around teaching you how to cook, from the bottom up (right down to how you properly cut vegetables). Each step is illustrated and outlined, and there are recipes throughout to help you practice the techniques.