From the Back Cover
How today's B2B leaders are integrating new approaches and technologies with proven techniques to find, get, and keep customers
The traditional business-to-business, face-to-face selling approach has been in decline for a number of years. In its place has risen a new integrated sales coverage method that incorporates the best practices of direct/database marketing and field sales into a new B2B communication mix that will dramatically improve sales and marketing productivity.
The New Fundamentals of Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing ties together the best of the old and the new, introducing a new sales coverage model that meets the needs of today's fast-paced, Web-based environment while retaining the benefits that only a knowledgeable, hands-on salesperson can bring to the table. Straight-talking and well-documented, this rulebook for selling success in the marketplace will show you how your organization can attain:
- Improved, results-based marketing through the creation of a robust prospect and customer database
- Precise targeting of the right market through advanced segmentation and microsegmentation techniques
- Increased results from demand generation efforts that will produce real sales opportunities, not just raw inquiries
- Higher sales and profits for distributors and business partners through improved feedback systems and channel efficiencies
As a marketer, each day that you cling to outmoded technologies and practices could be costing you competitive advantages that will be difficult, if not impossible, to regain. The New Fundamentals of Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing will show you how to create and deploy a new sales coverage model that will enhance your go-to-market selling strategy and tactics like never before.
"Yes, it's more difficult to sell today using the traditional salesperson-based go-to-market models. That's the bad news. The good news is that a new integration between sales and marketing is emerging that is producing a new sales coverage model. The goal of this book is to fully detail this model . . ."
--From Chapter 1
Business-to-business selling has undergone a tremendous metamorphosis in the past decade. The actual purchase decision often requires input from many more people--frequently in multiple locations--while time-pressed buyers increasingly turn to the Internet for instant product information. Meanwhile, as sales professionals watch their call-to-close ratios go through the roof, they are driven even harder to meet the frequently heard twin appeals of "sell more" and "spend less" from management.
The New Fundamentals of Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing breaks through this impasse, showing sales and marketing decision makers how to meld effective face-to-face sales techniques with highly targeted communications that use the latest technologies--thereby creating a fully integrated, continuous marketing and sales system. Combining his fifteen years of sales and sales management experience with twenty years of B2B database/direct marketing on both the client and agency side, John M. Coe shows you what you must do to:
- More closely match your firm's sales procedures with today's transformed buying process
- Bring marketing and sales together to improve inquiry generation, lead qualification, and sales conversion
- Improve feedback from sales and tighten the working relationship between marketing and sales
- Keep customer acquisition costs down by improving the lead development process before passing the opportunity to a high-cost sales resource
- Dramatically increase marketing and sales productivity through effective use of marketing databases, direct mail, telemarketing, E-mail, web conferencing, and more
Let The New Fundamentals of Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing provide you with a step-by-step roadmap for integrating your organization's sales efforts with its marketing communications programs by revamping and updating your go-to-market sales strategy.
About the Author
John M. Coe is an internationally recognized authority on B2B sales and marketing. In 1980 he discovered direct marketing as a sales productivity solution and made the switch to the agency side when he founded Integrated Target Marketing, a B2B direct marketing agency. Coe has been the national direct marketing campaign manager at IBM, the senior vice president of B2B marketing at Rapp Collins Worldwide, and the president of Database Marketing Associates, a well-known B2B consulting firm. He is the founder and president of the Sales and Marketing Institute, a B2B consulting, education, and training firm based in Phoenix, Arizona. He has given hundreds of speeches and seminars throughout the world, is a frequent contributor to industry trade magazines, and leads many Direct Marketing Association sessions.