Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 24, 2015
Connect access code is missing!! warning...and then you will have to buy access code from connect site which cost $130.
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on April 21, 2015
Connect code not included. McGraw Hill's way of bleeding money out of students to get the same material in a different format. I am returning the book for a full refund, will buy the used copy and save my 150extra dollars.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on September 29, 2015
The two star rating is a reflection of this text as an educational tool. Specific complaints: new words and concepts should be given specific definitions on the page. Many textbooks do this in a sidebar. In this text I often had to turn to the glossary to look up a new word even as it is being applied in the body of the text. Sometimes there isn't a definition at all. Also, the text too often references tables and charts from several pages ago. This is probably unavoidable for some entries, but it does make following the explanations more difficult. Here's my main complaint- the text did a poor job of laying out specifically what the formulas are used for and what specific steps you have to take to make them work. For example, I had to make some calculation regarding financial distress. There was a graph concerning it, but no formula. I'm sure some of these issues were the result of the course creators writing problems that were not worked out in the text, but I'm not reviewing them on Amazon. Luckily I have an older textbook by different authors I could turn to (and of course online tools). Depending on the class you are in this text may be just what you need. It wasn't very useful to me.
on February 4, 2014
Not my kinda textbook. In talking to my instructor, it seems that this book is the gold standard for intro finance texts, and if that's the case, it's too bad. I didn't feel I learned much from it. Almost zero worked problems within the chapters, yet they toss you into the deep end at the end of the chapter with the problem sets.
Personally, I learn a lot by studying and working through examples and seeing worked-problem solutions. They provide some example problems
here and there but they're usually on the order of "you should check our answers for practice." Well, what if your answers are wrong?! I should add, the supplemental materials of the text are not very helpful (powerpoint slides/lecture outlines.) Just read the text, work whatever assigned problems your instructor gives you, and hope for the best on the tests. Thankfully our professor just gave multiple choice open-book tests so everyone got an A or B on every test.

It is a pretty basic text. The authors explain things ok usually, but their writing style is borderline archaic and they often take the long route in explaining important concepts. Their discussion of bond pricing and TVM (time value of money) needs improvement. So does their discussion of present value of dividends, in which they take a very loopy numerical approach that is far too hard to understand - I got most of the test questions wrong on this topic. They also refer to Sarbanes-Oxley as "Sarbox" - nobody else calls it anything except SOX. I took Intermediate Accounting before I took Finance, and we used the Kieso, et al. textbook, which was pretty darned difficult but better than this text as far as explanations of TVM and other topics.

I am alarmed to see that a new copy of this book sold for over $200. It has over 20 chapters but they are all short and the information within this book is definitely not worth such a high pricetag. Actually, I rented this book for the course because the cost was far more than I was willing to pay.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on September 24, 2015
If I could give no stars, I would and so would almost everyone else in the class, including the teacher. This book is so difficult to read and understand. I am 4 weeks into the class and haven't read one page because it is all a jumble. I have only done 1 home lesson because the questions are so confusing. The teacher told me to try the home lessons and pass them in even if they are wrong. I thought this was going to be my easy class. Nope!! Can't wait to send this book back!!
3 helpful votes
on January 11, 2014
The one star is for the rental experience. The book was to be delivered Tuesday 1/7 (Amazon Prime) but it didn't come. Gave it a few more days because the website reflected that the book had been shipped so I thought there was just a delay. When it hadn't shown by Friday 1/10, I went into the UPS website and saw that while a label had been printed with that tracking #, the package never entered the UPS system for shipment. When I was finally able to get in touch with someone at Amazon, I was advised that the only thing that could be done was the rental fee be refunded and for me to "try" and rent the item again. When I asked why couldn't it just be re-shipped (or shipped since it apparently hadn't been) I was advised that couldn't be done with rental orders. I wasn't surprised today when I to tried placing another rental order and found the item was no longer available, which was probably the case all along, only Amazon failed to tell me that and allowed me to believe a book was in route to me when it wasn't. The customer service rep knew this also, that's where the "try" to rent it again remark came from. With class starting Monday I have no choice now but to purchase the book from the school at whatever astronomical price they charge. Had Amazon provided good (any) customer service from the beginning, I would have rented the book from another site for about the same fee Amazon charged-which I will most likely do from now on. Surprisingly terrible customer service from Amazon.

*****Update- 1/17/14*******

I was contacted by Amazon customer service and told the book was still available to rent. Since class was starting a few days later, Amazon advised me to request overnight delivery and they would pay the additional cost. I clicked on the link supplied in their email and sure enough, the book was available. I did as instructed and received the book in time for the start of class. So far the book has been easy to follow, though it's still in the semester. I changed my rating to five stars because Amazon stepped up to the plate and handled this situation satisfactorily.
on June 6, 2017
This book does a really horrible job in explaining. It keeps on changing notations from one page to the other. I'm a math major and I spent 20 mins on each chapter just trying to understand the notations because the author did a really bad job in being consistent with his notations throughout the book. It's not straight forward in explaining things. If you don't mind reading 4 pages on chapter 11 just to know what mean is, then it might be ok for you to buy this book, but no one has time for this. Total waste of money
on December 10, 2015
I've used this textbook twice so far, once as an undergraduate and now as a graduate student. The major problem I have with this text is the way the authors go about explaining how to solve financial problems by example. For example, in each chapter they may solve a specific type of problem one way but give you 7+ total possible ways of solving it. When it comes to the chapter review problems, forget it. Applying what examples they give you in each chapter is almost impossible because they want you to use the other 7 ways that they didn't explain in the chapter to solve each problem. A solutions manual is almost imperative in using this textbook efficiently. Subscribe to Chegg or ask your professor to give out the solutions. This is the only way to learn. Would not recommend this book for any finance class. There are much better ones out there.
on August 27, 2012
If I could sum up this book in three words it would be: net present value. Most of the book's 31 chapters either explain or apply the concept of net present value so it's great that the book covers it early in the text. As someone who has spent the past 7 years working in finance, some of the other concepts in the book such as financial statement analysis, cash management and credit management were repetitive for me, but it also introduced a lot of new ideas. In particular, I found the discounted cash flow valuation model and the Monte Carlo simulation of risk analysis to among my favorites. The book is skewed to an audience who is heading into or already in a management position in a finance department. It discusses the theoretical competent of corporate finance too and its importance in the growth and value of a firm. There's a ton of information in this book and, like most things in life, you'll get out of it what you put in. To that end, I would recommend solving one problem from each chapter's problem sets.
on February 26, 2015
I purchased this thinking that the connect comes with it, it does NOT!!!!! Now i have to fork over another $100 something for the code!!!! When purchasing a new book i thought it would be included!
4 helpful votes