BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Fundamentals of Model Boat Building
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 4, 2011
At the outset I have to confess that, at 71,I no longer possess the eyesight or hand-eye coordination to craft a model boat from scratch. I build from kits---plastic ones at that. I have commissioned a fine model from the authors--a 1/60 scale Nordhavn 62 you can find on their website. While John and Nancy were planning, drafting and building my model, they sent me some very intriguing CAD graphics showing how the project proceeded from Nordhavn's plan and profile drawings to the CAD design to create the lifts and templates for the model. So when I heard that these meticulous craftspersons had produced a book on the topic I was glad to order a copy. The book does not disappoint. Whether you want to build a model from scratch,as the authors do, or simply knock out a paper model using the text as a guide (as I will attempt) the book provides great insight and practical assistance in transforming photos and plans of actual boats into models. Both theory and practice are very well presented and described, the authors divulging the secrets of faithful boat model building derived from long experience in building outstanding facsimilies of water craft for boat owners and admirers alike.
on April 8, 2013
Once receiving this book, I realized it wasn't "exactly" what I was wanting. However, that is not the fault of the author. It did inspire me enough to glean information from it that was indeed specific to my needs. This book gives an excellent approach to scaling full size vessels and to collecting detailed information in order to make a model. The techniques seem to be almost from an architectural, meticulous perspective. Though the book addresses different boats, you can use the same techniques for any kind of modeling. Buildings, auto's, air planes etc etc.

The building techniques themselves are relatively simple, but they also show the importance of a methodical approach.

The authors are very talented and portrayed their abilities in a clear way that anybody with a few tools should be able to easily follow and begin creating their own models.
on October 17, 2014
Good book for everyone who want's to know more about model boat building basics. Clear photos and explanations are good points. Materials, paintings, planning etc. are clearly written.
on February 26, 2013
Just the book I was looking for. It provides all the tools you need to start model boat building or inhance your talent. It also provided plans for the boat (Chesapeake bay Deadrise)I've wanted to make. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in model boat building.
on March 16, 2012
A great reference book on model boat building. Shows how to do the design work and come up with your final model. I wish they had commented on making scale fittings in metal but it sounds like this is coming in another book. Another great addition to my library.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
Excellent book for novice model boat builders like myself. Many illustrations, photos, and detailed instructions, and construction tips. Very easy to read.
on February 13, 2015
Like it very much; particularly the measurement of models.
on February 7, 2012
Lots of good and useful information for anyone interested in model boat building. Clearly written for anyone to understand--and be able to follow. Highly recommend.
on July 7, 2013
good information on dead rises which can be applied to full size construction. If you love Dead rises you will love this book
on April 5, 2013
Has the information I wanted. has good ilistrations. buy it if you are wanting tips on building model boats. from wood