Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on June 26, 2017
One of the weirder movies of the Futurama series, but still fun to watch.
on July 5, 2008
I was really looking forward to this one after finally seeing Bender's Big Score recently. BBS had the layered, intricate, sometimes difficult to understand, and ultimately highly entertaining plotline that was the hallmark of the best Futurama episodes from the original series (i.e. Roswell that Ends Well). This 2nd installment falls more along the lines of the weaker episodes of the show, which relied on gag humor and wandering, uninspired plotlines (i.e. The Cryonic Woman).

There are always a few bright spots that keep you watching though. I thought the clip with Bender's first born was hilarious, but for the most part the jokes miss the mark. It appears the hour and a half format is proving difficult to sustain for the writers. Clips that wouldn't make the cut in a regular episode have to be featured to fill up the extra time.

As noted by some previous reviews, the character development has taken a step back here. Fry has regressed (if that is possible) into a love-starved fool from the old carefree, bachelor chow eating caveman. I won't throw in any spoilers, but Amy also falls prey to deevolution as a means to grind the plot forward and provide some cheap laughs.

Despite the movie's failings, Any moderately interested fan of the series should find this installment worth a watch. You need to keep up on the story developments in order to transition to the next movie. I'm hoping that at least one of the last two movies will be up to par with BBS. 2 out of 4 would be pretty good for a series pulled out the ashes.
on August 1, 2008
When Futurama first came out by Groening and Cohen, I thought the premise was great, not too Jetsons, but also not too apocalyptic either. Basically, it dealt with a hapless delivery boy getting accidentally frozen for one thousand years, and awakens to a freaked out future.

Regrettably, thanks to Fox putting it on Football Sundays, the show never really got the notice it deserve, despite the fact it lasted four seasons in its original run. Yet, it got new life on Adult Swim, and though Comedy Central has it currently, I rarely get to watch it.

Anyway, recently the guys at Futurama decided on reviving the series through four new feature-length films. The original plan was to 'connect' the films from one to another, but apparently Reality has stepped in and dictated otherwise.

Whereas 'Bender's Big Score,' did focus on the series' Past Episodes, it seems 'Beast with a Billion Backs' throws out all convention and just starts with cannonizing what we knew of the series itself.

Basically the film begins revealing what happened after 'Bender's Big Score,' with the TimeSpace disruption creating an anomaly and ripping a tear in the Universe.

Though the tale runs like a typical Futurama episode, the problem here is, the writers have somehow given up on the Fry/Leela romance, while finally marrying Amy and Kiff. Though which is humourous, it does lack the typical fare we've come to expect with Futurama.

Perhaps the writers felt since the last film showed Fry jealous of Leela's romance, maybe it was time for the shoe to be on the other foot. But the problem is, it's a bit too instantaneous for Fry to find romance. Considering throughout the series the only person he's actually dated have been Amy and Leela, and his Past girlfriend (who later left him for Pauly Shore).

The story's loosely based on a 1955 sci-fi film, "The Beast with a Million Eyes." Except here our Beast takes over with tentacles after Fry decides on leaving his Universe after being unlucky in love once too many times.

The problem here is unlike the other film where the characters interacted with each other throughout the main story line, it seems 'Beast' is a bit disconnected with Bender wanting to join the League of Robots, while Fry convinces the people of Earth of the Beast's good intentions.

Meaning though you'd like to enjoy this second venture, it's rather hard because it seems more like the writers wanted parodying a classic film than genuinely focusing on why we liked Futurama in the first place.

But it doesn't mean the DVD is all bad, we do see some humour with other characters this time around than just focusing on the main characters. And though the subplots don't have quite the same connection as the first film did, it is fun watching Bender impress Calculon and later subtly take over the League due to the 'Kill All Humans' by-laws.

Though it lacks the sharpness of its first incarnate, 'Beast with a Million Backs,' does have some merits by spoofing classic sci-fi as well as the spoof at the beginning intro.

Hopefully, 'Bender's Game' will make up for the 'Beast's' shortcomings and bring back the main reason why we miss the Planet Express crew for these years.
on August 28, 2008
I have to agree whole-heartedly with some of the other reviewers here who found this movie disappointing. When I first heard Futurama was being revived, I was thrilled as this is hands down my favorite animated series (Family Guy sometimes shares that spot). 'Bender's Big Score' was funny, and poignant, and contained the same laugh-out-loud and cheer-for-Fry's-love-of-Leila that one would expect from the series. It wasn't great, but it was certainly better than this movie.

'The Beast with a Billion Backs' - the title itself a take-off of the reference in Shakespeare's Othello by Iago when he tells the king, "Your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs," - promised a tongue-in-cheek satirical story. I anticipated the same depth and level of humor which makes Futurama so different from other animated series, such as Family Guy (which is fraught with silliness and no substance). I was disappointed by this seemingly quickly written and poorly thought out plot and storyline; I was disappointed by the less-than-stellar portrayal of the show's characters; and I was eager for it to end.

While some of the humor from the TV series still remains present in this movie, it is hollow and empty, lacking in the quality and spark the series possesses still.

Add it to your collection if you are buying the prescribed movie series, but don't expect it to be your favorite.
on August 4, 2008
This is a rare disappointment for me, a huge fan of all things Groening and Futurama in particular. The first thing that is perhaps small but really bugs me is the Disney-esque style applied to the animation. The first bit we see is in the first scene when Zoidberg sends the table flying and liquid drips down the window. The effect is rather languid and self-conscious. Like, "Look at us we can do the detail oriented cloying animation that we often deride in our writing." There was some of this in the Simpsons Movie but it was, generally, in the context of satire. I felt this tone was over-wrought in "Beast" and really detracted from the visual style of Futurama which is a much more important facet. The more I watch and think about it the more I dislike it. It feels like a real sell-out. Perhaps my antipathy is magnified by the third-rate writing. The plot is extremel weak. I won't be a spoiler but just say the narrative builds somewhat awkwardly to a climax then fizzles out in an insipid attempt at relationship humor. I can't say I recommend buying this. I feel a little ripped-off.
on July 12, 2008
I'm a big fan of Futurama to start with and I enjoyed this fun romp through the Futurama Universe. However, I could definitely see where you could see a stark contrast between this movie and the previous one. They both are very different styles of movies in terms of Futurama. This one felt more like a single episode then the previous one. BBB also has a number of cheap sight-gags that had me rolling, and I would take issue with people who would compare it to Family Guy, simply for the reason that Family Guy uses the non-sequitur as the meat of the joke, this is not at all what was happening in BBB.

I checked out the reviews of BBB first before picking it up, and after seeing it, I'm pretty surprised at the lukewarm reception it seems to be getting in terms of reviews. I can only assume that peoples expectations of Futurama to be exactly the same as the TV series (even though its stretched out into a movie) are to blame.

As for the extra's on the DVD, I love how I can see the video game CGI, but I would really recommend that people play the Futurama Video Game instead, if you have an original X-Box that is. You can find it here: Futurama.

I look forward to much more Futurama.
on November 18, 2014
Fantastic movie, funny as hell and a whole lot of sexy tentacle action. Just keep in mind that the disks will come in a cardboard package that can be doing more damage than good to your brand new movie.

Get a disk holder, or at least find somewhere else to put it. Some great little novelty pictures on the cover and stuff, definitely awesome, but I was scared when I opened the package and couldn't find the disk cause it had fallen down below the cardboard holding it in place.
on April 12, 2012
WARNING WHEN BUYING THIS PRODUCT: When you purchase this product, it would be best if you purchased a plastic one-disc empty DVD case. The packaging this item comes with is a poorly constructed DVD case made from a thick card-stock-like paper that is very tacky-looking and easily damaged. It is very poor quality, and if I could tell the people who designed it, I would tell them to shove their design up their own butt-holes.

When I received this item the DVD case was wrinkled and damaged, but luckily the disc inside wasn't damaged and worked fine when I tested it in my DVD player. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU TEST OUT THE DISC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The only reason I gave this 3 stars instead of 2 is because I like Futurama. Very poor design.
on April 22, 2013
If you like Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, Big Bang Theory, or other cartoon/nerdy shows, this movie (and the series in general) is a must see!

This is the 2nd out of 4 full length movies made during the time frame after Futurama was originally cancelled but before it was revived on Comedy Central.

There are some connections between the series and the other movies, but you can watch it individually and enjoy it. It might take a little while to get to know the characters, but even if you are not familiar with the characters, the jokes are still really good.
on November 1, 2010
Well, I have been a fan since I was around 14ish, but I wouldn't say I am as big a fan as many of the reviewers here. Overall the movie is enjoyable and funny I think. There is one thing that really bothers me, and its a small thing, but I feel it should be mentioned for future buyers. I bought my copy here at amazon, but the packaging isn't what I expected. Its not like the normal DVD box, instead it is a paper slip, and while I am very pro environment, this is very shoddy packaging. The disk falls out onto the floor when I move the container, no matter how I close it, so it isn't very portable or good in storage. This is a rather minor problem to most, but if I had known, I would not have bought it, so I felt I should mention it.