- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan; 1 edition (March 18, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1137022264
- ISBN-13: 978-1137022264
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 0.5 x 8.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 7.8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,425,395 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Future-Minded: The Psychology of Agency and Control 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
'A wonderfully original and masterly overview of how we think about our influence on the world and about how we sometimes develop delusional beliefs about ourselves as agents in the world. Osman is a pioneer in this fast-developing field and has written a clear and lucid book.' - David Shanks, Professor of Psychology, University College London, UK 'An extremely interesting book that conveys some very complex concepts and experiments in a very accessible way. The book is engaging and, unusually for a psychological text, difficult to put down.' - Richard J. Tunney, Associate Professor of Psychology, University of Nottingham, UK
From the Back Cover
What drives us to make decisions?
Future-Minded explores the psychological processes of agency and control. If you've ever wondered why we think of coincidences as matters of fate rather than the result of the laws of probability, this book provides the answer. From memory and reasoning to our experiences of causality and consciousness, it unpicks the mechanisms we use on a daily basis to help us predict, plan for and attempt to control the future.
* Features a wealth of real world examples to help you engage with this fast-developing area
* Provides clear analysis of psychological experiments and their findings to explain the evidence behind the theory
Thought-provoking and highly topical, Future-Minded is fascinating reading for psychology students studying cognition or consciousness, and for anyone interested in understanding how we try to determine the future.
Top Customer Reviews
The Osman book, while not dealing with evolution, does wrestle with the issue of mental resources, prediction, and side-effects such as occasional misattribution of causes...