Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

G  I  R  L
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 4, 2014
I'm going to start by clarifying that this is a Pop album. It's not Hip-Hop, R&B, or Alternative Rock like most of Pharrell's previous work as an artist or part of his band N.E.R.D.. So with that in mind, it's a little easier to forgive some of the corny or superficial lyrics on some songs. The quality of the music production and the catchiness of the lyrics more than makes up for what they lack in depth.

Musically, the sound is very similar to what Pharrell has been known for as part of his production team, The Neptunes although the sound is sonically richer and seems to incorporate more live instrumentation. None of the songs are too long and the 10 track playlist emphasizes Pharrell choosing Quality over Quantity this time around. Nearly every song has radio-friendly Top-40 potential.

Here's my track by track review...

"Marilyn Monroe": 4 out of 5 stars

"Brand New": 5 out of 5 stars (JT really should've collaborated with Pharrell for his 20/20 albums)

"Hunter": 2 out of 5 stars (My least favorite song. Pharrell's falsetto just sounds intolerable here)

"Gush": 4 out of 5 stars

"Happy": 5 out of 5 stars

"Come Get It Bae": 3 out of 5 stars

"Gust of Wind": 5 out of 5 stars (Really stands out. Daft Punk and Pharrell are magical in their collaborations)

"Lost Queen": 5 out of 5 stars

"Freq": 5 out of 5 stars (hidden track at the end of Lost Queen. Very beautiful song)

"Know Who You Are": 5 out of 5 stars

"It Girl": 4 out of 5 stars (Nice closing track. Reminds me of N.E.R.D)
68 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 9, 2014
Pharrell was absolutely unstoppable in 2013 and it was obvious that he was going to capitalize on that success and release his sophomore album. Pharrell did pretty much the exact same thing back in '06 with his album "In My Mind", that album focusing mainly on his success in the Hip Hop game. That album fell pretty much flat on its face as the only person that still listens to it is Tyler, The Creator (Just look at his twitter feed and you'll see it here and there). G I R L is his second attempt at a solo album this time focusing on his pop music success, and gets close to the same results as his first album.
Pharrell has proven to be quite a force in the music industry with his wildly successful songs that he was featured on/produced on like "Blurred Lines", "Get Lucky" and this album's lead single "Happy". He's proven to be quite the hit maker, but for whatever reason, we don't really see a lot of that here. "Happy" was fantastic as it showed Pharrell's personality well, and shows how well he can hold down a track by himself. The only time we really see that is on the opening track "Marilyn Monroe". For the rest of the album, we're left with bland production that seems like it was left over from his jam sessions from when he produced songs like "Happy" and "Blurred Lines".
Another thing that's odd is the fact that the two credited guests shine brighter than he does. He of all people should know that especially on your own album you shouldn't let your guests shine brighter than you. Luckily for the other eight songs here, he does a solid job.
Pharrell does have a few solid tracks here though. Obviously "Happy" has absolutely destroyed the radio stations and stands out as the best song from the album. "Marilyn Monroe" shows the producer side of Pharrell which was fantastic. "Come Get It Babe" is one of the stronger tracks here despite questionable lyrics, and Miley Cyrus shouldn't have been anywhere near this song. "Gust of Wind" might not have been as awesome as "Get Lucky" but the Daft Punk feature was spot on.
Overall, the album was decent but with a surprising lack of radio killing songs, the album comes off as kind of a disappointment. Pharrell Williams is a fantastic artist, but for some reason just can't prove that he can stand on his own as a solo performer.

FINAL SCORE: 6/10

Pros.
+ Some Excellent Production
+ Daft Punk Feature
+ Radio Potential in "Marilyn Monroe" and "Gust of Wind"

Cons.
- A Few Boring Moments
- Fails To Capitalize on The Hits He's Produced For Other Artists
- Guests Outshine on Some of the Songs

Must Have Songs:
Happy
Marilyn Monroe
Come Get it Babe (I refuse to call it by its real name)
Gust of Wind
on April 24, 2014
His "Happy" song from "Despicable Me 2" has taken up seemingly permanent residence at #1 on the iTunes pop and Billboard singles chart. It is now heading into its sixth month at the summit. Beyond this phenomenon, "G I R L" is yet another eclectic offering from the creative cells of Pharrell Williams. Critically compared to N.E.R.D.'s debut, "In Search of......", which I love. I haven't heard the similarities as of yet, though I have only listened to it thoroughly, a couple of times. "Happy" is as engaging as "Frontin'" was on his solo debut, "In My Mind". In fairness, I didn't listen to "In My Mind" with the intensity I gave "In Search of". So time will tell.
His interview on Oprah's Prime has been instrumental in my giving this album a serious listening to. In that interview, Pharrell came across humble and inspiring. I related to much of his story of holding onto your dreams understanding that you may indeed be different from your childhood friends, family and neighbors. Not that I am on the level of Oprah or Pharrell or even Tina, but, just like in what I see in Diana Ross, we are all people of color that defy classification in America's restrictive boxes......dreaming above the sun and letting the clouds roll by is a mantra we live by as we are spiritual kindred souls.
So I am hoping to find more depth in "G I R L" as time goes by.
on March 7, 2014
Do not wait or walk to get this album, run and get it!! Every track on this album is great!

Here is why I think Pharrell Williams and this album is great. First of all P. Williams "Skateboard P" knows how to bring the hits with fire, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and "Move Yourself to Dance" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines". Secondly his style is different in a great way, he reminds me of Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder, and Prince..basically the later part.

Track 1 is a throwback to 80's style Pop and R&B. Track 2 is Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" /disco era. Track 3 is a nod to the 80's New Wave "Genesis/Police/Talking Heads" era. Track 4 sounds like something off a "N.E.R.D." album/also early 80-ish. Track 5 is my favorite song of all time and I can never get tired of it. It is a throwback to mid-60's pop and soul. Track 6 is the classic Neptunes sound which would belong on Madonna's "Hard Candy". Track 7 is also early 80-ish and sounds like it could have been on "Daft Punk's "RAM". Tracks 8 and 9 are slow jams. The final track (10) is a throwback to the sounds of early 80's funk.

Anyone who gave this a bad review either doesn't like music or can't appreciate real art. Well you can't please everyone. The next two singles should be "Brand New" and "Gush". Justin needs to get back with Pharrell on his next album. Yesiiirr!!
2 people found this helpful
on May 31, 2014
If there is a person on the planet who is not aware of "The Happy Guy" then listen closely. It is not only his iconic song that makes us dance and smile, but each and every song on this CD will inspire you in one way or another. I teach English as a second language, and Pharrell is now part of my curriculum. His words bring humility to me and to the class, as well and offering us advice as to the complexity of a human being. The music is outstanding, and every song will move you in some sort of way. What used to be three hours of dry grammar drills and soporific listening exercises, has now become a vibrant lesson in which my students are actually engaged. Gust of Wind, Marilyn Monroe, Gush are all mind bogglingly intricate in their arrangements, as well as with the lyrics which inspire. GIRL will make you sing, dance, and if you thought about getting old, just listen to this CD. Perfect.
on March 12, 2014
Pharrell is a brilliant producer and a decent songwriter when it comes to hooks. I'm not sold on him being a full time songwriter for himself. While Pharrell's signature creative, spacey production sounds are all over this album, some sounds don't reach their full potential because of predictable and unimaginative songwriting. I'm a huge Pharrell's fan, but his solo work does not reach the level of greatness he often helps other artists achieve. Standout tracks are the feel-good anthem "Happy" (from Despicable Me 2 soundtrack), Gush, and Brand New ft. Justin Timberlake. This will be read as a bad review, but I don't really see this as a bad album. Pharrell is a producer first, so you can always count on him to give you some good vibes and good grooves to move to. The lyrics are nothing to sit and analyze, but this album will definitely have you bobbing your head, snapping your fingers, and dancing around the house while cleaning up. I copped it, and I'm not disappointed that I did.
4 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on May 16, 2015
Pharrell Williams's first solo album was a success but it was his second album, "Girl," that contained the song that would bring him worldwide fame. In the spring of 2014, "Happy" spent ten straight weeks in the top position on the charts and was seemingly everywhere--it will probably end up being remembered as one of the standout songs of the decade but is by no means the only great song on "Girl." "Come Get It Bae" was a mid-range Top 40 hit, and the rest of the album consists of well-written songs and has little or no filler. "Girl" has a retro sound and will appeal to those who enjoy old-school soul and R&B music from the Seventies and Eighties.
on May 5, 2014
I bought this CD because I am hooked on the song Happy... A nice upbeat song, if I play it on the way to work, my day just starts out better.

Since I have bought the CD, I enjoy the rest of the music as well... none of them to me are stand-outs like Happy, but they are nice to listen to, and have tended to grow on me over time.

I have also recently seen Pharrell on a couple of interviews, and I am happy that in making this purchase I supported an artist with such a healthy outlook on life, who seems to have his priorities in line.

I am looking forward to seeing what Pharrell Williams comes up with next.
One person found this helpful
on November 9, 2015
This album is amazing! Girl is a perfect addition to my musical library and I will listen to this forever. I love the musical arrangement and Pharrell's lyrics. I have loved Pharrell and his music since his days in N.E.R.D. and his other solo endeavors. His music is uplifting, fun, conscious and just all around dope. I also love that Amazon provided the digital download and CD with my purchase. Thank you Amazon!
One person found this helpful
on March 6, 2014
The album only features 10 tracks but they all fit perfectly with the theme of the album, which means no fillers! In this time of very dark music this record serves as a breath of fresh air by giving you a genuinely happier group of tracks and doesn't follow the sheep in the music industry.

Definitely would recommend if you're in the mood for a feel good album full of up beat vocals and ACTUAL REAL musical instruments (not any of that pop stuff). Standout tracks include "brand new" which is a duet with Justin Timberlake, "Gust of wind" featuring Daft Punk and "it girl".

Pretty good and well put together album.
26 people found this helpful