Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

G  I  R  L
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 4, 2014
I'm going to start by clarifying that this is a Pop album. It's not Hip-Hop, R&B, or Alternative Rock like most of Pharrell's previous work as an artist or part of his band N.E.R.D.. So with that in mind, it's a little easier to forgive some of the corny or superficial lyrics on some songs. The quality of the music production and the catchiness of the lyrics more than makes up for what they lack in depth.

Musically, the sound is very similar to what Pharrell has been known for as part of his production team, The Neptunes although the sound is sonically richer and seems to incorporate more live instrumentation. None of the songs are too long and the 10 track playlist emphasizes Pharrell choosing Quality over Quantity this time around. Nearly every song has radio-friendly Top-40 potential.

Here's my track by track review...

"Marilyn Monroe": 4 out of 5 stars

"Brand New": 5 out of 5 stars (JT really should've collaborated with Pharrell for his 20/20 albums)

"Hunter": 2 out of 5 stars (My least favorite song. Pharrell's falsetto just sounds intolerable here)

"Gush": 4 out of 5 stars

"Happy": 5 out of 5 stars

"Come Get It Bae": 3 out of 5 stars

"Gust of Wind": 5 out of 5 stars (Really stands out. Daft Punk and Pharrell are magical in their collaborations)

"Lost Queen": 5 out of 5 stars

"Freq": 5 out of 5 stars (hidden track at the end of Lost Queen. Very beautiful song)

"Know Who You Are": 5 out of 5 stars

"It Girl": 4 out of 5 stars (Nice closing track. Reminds me of N.E.R.D)
67 helpful votes
68 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 7, 2014
Do not wait or walk to get this album, run and get it!! Every track on this album is great!

Here is why I think Pharrell Williams and this album is great. First of all P. Williams "Skateboard P" knows how to bring the hits with fire, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and "Move Yourself to Dance" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines". Secondly his style is different in a great way, he reminds me of Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder, and Prince..basically the later part.

Track 1 is a throwback to 80's style Pop and R&B. Track 2 is Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" /disco era. Track 3 is a nod to the 80's New Wave "Genesis/Police/Talking Heads" era. Track 4 sounds like something off a "N.E.R.D." album/also early 80-ish. Track 5 is my favorite song of all time and I can never get tired of it. It is a throwback to mid-60's pop and soul. Track 6 is the classic Neptunes sound which would belong on Madonna's "Hard Candy". Track 7 is also early 80-ish and sounds like it could have been on "Daft Punk's "RAM". Tracks 8 and 9 are slow jams. The final track (10) is a throwback to the sounds of early 80's funk.

Anyone who gave this a bad review either doesn't like music or can't appreciate real art. Well you can't please everyone. The next two singles should be "Brand New" and "Gush". Justin needs to get back with Pharrell on his next album. Yesiiirr!!
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on March 12, 2014
Pharrell is a brilliant producer and a decent songwriter when it comes to hooks. I'm not sold on him being a full time songwriter for himself. While Pharrell's signature creative, spacey production sounds are all over this album, some sounds don't reach their full potential because of predictable and unimaginative songwriting. I'm a huge Pharrell's fan, but his solo work does not reach the level of greatness he often helps other artists achieve. Standout tracks are the feel-good anthem "Happy" (from Despicable Me 2 soundtrack), Gush, and Brand New ft. Justin Timberlake. This will be read as a bad review, but I don't really see this as a bad album. Pharrell is a producer first, so you can always count on him to give you some good vibes and good grooves to move to. The lyrics are nothing to sit and analyze, but this album will definitely have you bobbing your head, snapping your fingers, and dancing around the house while cleaning up. I copped it, and I'm not disappointed that I did.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on April 9, 2014
Pharrell was absolutely unstoppable in 2013 and it was obvious that he was going to capitalize on that success and release his sophomore album. Pharrell did pretty much the exact same thing back in '06 with his album "In My Mind", that album focusing mainly on his success in the Hip Hop game. That album fell pretty much flat on its face as the only person that still listens to it is Tyler, The Creator (Just look at his twitter feed and you'll see it here and there). G I R L is his second attempt at a solo album this time focusing on his pop music success, and gets close to the same results as his first album.
Pharrell has proven to be quite a force in the music industry with his wildly successful songs that he was featured on/produced on like "Blurred Lines", "Get Lucky" and this album's lead single "Happy". He's proven to be quite the hit maker, but for whatever reason, we don't really see a lot of that here. "Happy" was fantastic as it showed Pharrell's personality well, and shows how well he can hold down a track by himself. The only time we really see that is on the opening track "Marilyn Monroe". For the rest of the album, we're left with bland production that seems like it was left over from his jam sessions from when he produced songs like "Happy" and "Blurred Lines".
Another thing that's odd is the fact that the two credited guests shine brighter than he does. He of all people should know that especially on your own album you shouldn't let your guests shine brighter than you. Luckily for the other eight songs here, he does a solid job.
Pharrell does have a few solid tracks here though. Obviously "Happy" has absolutely destroyed the radio stations and stands out as the best song from the album. "Marilyn Monroe" shows the producer side of Pharrell which was fantastic. "Come Get It Babe" is one of the stronger tracks here despite questionable lyrics, and Miley Cyrus shouldn't have been anywhere near this song. "Gust of Wind" might not have been as awesome as "Get Lucky" but the Daft Punk feature was spot on.
Overall, the album was decent but with a surprising lack of radio killing songs, the album comes off as kind of a disappointment. Pharrell Williams is a fantastic artist, but for some reason just can't prove that he can stand on his own as a solo performer.

FINAL SCORE: 6/10

Pros.
+ Some Excellent Production
+ Daft Punk Feature
+ Radio Potential in "Marilyn Monroe" and "Gust of Wind"

Cons.
- A Few Boring Moments
- Fails To Capitalize on The Hits He's Produced For Other Artists
- Guests Outshine on Some of the Songs

Must Have Songs:
Happy
Marilyn Monroe
Come Get it Babe (I refuse to call it by its real name)
Gust of Wind
on April 24, 2014
His "Happy" song from "Despicable Me 2" has taken up seemingly permanent residence at #1 on the iTunes pop and Billboard singles chart. It is now heading into its sixth month at the summit. Beyond this phenomenon, "G I R L" is yet another eclectic offering from the creative cells of Pharrell Williams. Critically compared to N.E.R.D.'s debut, "In Search of......", which I love. I haven't heard the similarities as of yet, though I have only listened to it thoroughly, a couple of times. "Happy" is as engaging as "Frontin'" was on his solo debut, "In My Mind". In fairness, I didn't listen to "In My Mind" with the intensity I gave "In Search of". So time will tell.
His interview on Oprah's Prime has been instrumental in my giving this album a serious listening to. In that interview, Pharrell came across humble and inspiring. I related to much of his story of holding onto your dreams understanding that you may indeed be different from your childhood friends, family and neighbors. Not that I am on the level of Oprah or Pharrell or even Tina, but, just like in what I see in Diana Ross, we are all people of color that defy classification in America's restrictive boxes......dreaming above the sun and letting the clouds roll by is a mantra we live by as we are spiritual kindred souls.
So I am hoping to find more depth in "G I R L" as time goes by.
on April 21, 2015
My two favorite songs on here are "Come Get It Bae", and "Happy", both just fun infectious songs. So for me it's worth it to have the CD in hand so I can just play it when I want. Like on my boom box in my kitchen, on repeat. Oh yeah and it's nice to have ordered it through Amazon because I have a full digital copy on my laptop. (I know it's old school, but it is what it is). So I could listen to the entire album before it got here in the mail. Pretty neat feature. For me I'm satisfied. He's a very good producer, and to be able to play drums and sing, pretty cool. I almost prefer watching him work on other people's work. Maybe that's where his giftings are strongest. He has such a giving spirit on The Voice, you just want to go out of your way to support him. "Happy" to have it in my collection.
on April 20, 2014
Some times it goes like this, I like a song, I buy the album. Often times I skip tracks on my first album play, not the case for G I R L. I liked all the songs overall. My favorites #5 "Happy" I mean every time this song came on the radio I blasted it full throttle and that's how I came to know this album. #3 "Hunter" made me dance in the shower, #7 "Gust of wind" is so beautiful and heartfelt, #8 "Lost Queen" reminded me I'm from Saturn (Where are you from?) and rrrooorrrooom. And the hidden track "Freq" have me meditating ...You've got to go inwards to experience the outer space that was built for you... #6 "Come get it Bae" made me blush. Bonus, no bad words and lots of suggestibility. Sexy all around.
Why do I buy music instead of just listening over and over on you tube etc? I believe in artists, I honor their hard work and thank them for the special places they take me with their inspiration and dedication. OH, and I love music so I don't want to depend on an internet connection.
on July 26, 2017
The cd arrived as scheduled and plays well. I love the song I'm happy that's why I purchased the cd. Overall, its good music to listen and dance to.
on March 12, 2017
I really enjoy this disc besides the Happy song there are other gems especially the Marilyn Monroe song This disc will certainly make u happy
on May 7, 2014
I'm a latecomer to Pharrell's work -- heard "Happy" and then bought this album. It's hard now for me to separate the song "Marilyn Monroe, " which I like, from the video for that song, which I did not like at all. I love the sound of much of this album, but find the lyrics disappointing, especially the song "Gush," which is basically Pharrell's praise for himself as a lover (or at least the powers of his fictional self -- not sure on that one). Many of the song lyrics equate sexuality with dirtiness or nastiness -- sorry to hear he feels that way, but it just ain't so. This album seems to be aimed at young women who are just discovering sex and still believe it makes them a "bad girl" to enjoy it -- not for women who are content with who they are and with showing love in a whole variety of emotional and sexual forms. We love you, Pharrell, but you've got to let us grow up!