Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 8, 2015
We bought this little gem at LOWE's over 7 years ago when we lived in an older home. It worked great then and it works great now in our new home. We do have a larger yard and many darker spots so we went back to LOWE's hoping to find it again and were very disappointed that it was no longer a item they sold. Much to our surprise while looking for security cameras on Amazon we found it and instantly bought it. During daylight hours the color is brilliant and you can see very well but at night do not expect to read a license plate from 30 feet in the dark and yes it does get a bit grainy but we also have it in paired with security lights and when they come on it has a very good black and white picture within 20 feet and the closer the object the better you can see it. It is under the eaves but it has faced some pretty harsh weather and it still works very well and yes it is the old camera I'm talking about so I don't expect any less from the new one. We are not disappointed in it and will probably get one for my daughter who lives alone. You do however have to get your own monitor. We have it hooked to an old 13 in color tv and it works great. The tv does have a combo VCR recorder and DVD player so if you want to record for at least 8 hrs and have the old stand by VHS tapes it does very well the picture come out very clear and I guess that too would depend on how good your tape is. We will buy it again
2 helpful votes
on November 2, 2015
Great camera for the money. I bought one of these cameras back in July 2013 (so I've had it for over 2 years) with it mounted under one of the eaves of the garage (roof overhang), and it still works perfectly (No water condensation, no shorts, no audio or video problems). I'm actually a bit shocked the camera made it through a winter we had, when it was -30 below zero.

One advantage to this camera, is the first connection point is at the end of a 60 foot long cable (which is where the power and video hookup is). Many other cameras have the first connection point within 6 to 8 inches of the camera, making it difficult to get the connection point inside and out of the elements, and those cameras often require a separate reinforced weatherproof connection box in order to extend the cable length inside the house, garage, or building.

Hope this review helps others in making a decision.
VINE VOICEon October 13, 2014
Mine has a poor picture and is mostly blue tint. Fuzzy on 7 inch monitor, awful on 19 inch. Maybe I got a bad one, may try an exchange. For the price of over fifty bucks it should be better IMO.
UPDATE: replacement was only marginally better picture. Still rather fuzzy.
Price went down to 42. For that price, it is in line with (other cameras + cables) since it includes the cable, and it has sound too. So I upped my rating. If the picture resolution was better it would be a 5 star item.
The VideoSecu Day Night Vision CCTV Infrared Home Security Camera Color CCD Outdoor Vandal Proof 480TVL 3.6mm Wide View Angle Lens with Free Power Supply camera I also got has much better resolution, color and wider angle view for about the same price (what with also buying a cable) but that does not have sound.
on October 14, 2015
i have several of these camera's and they work good...the night vision needs a little light for it to work good.right after dark, i have seen the eyes of a deer in the camera,glowing haha... but...u can HEAR anything thats outside day or night.even when its starts to SPRINKLE RAIN..ON THE MIC you can hear cars, birds, crows, chickens, squirrels barking ect ...it brings the OUTDOORS INSIDE.... i love it...it hooks up straight to your TV... the TV needs a video" in" HOLES and a video "out" HOLES that you plug the camera DIRECTLY into the TV's video "in" and video "out" holes..back in the winter, i could watch it snow, and didnt have to be outside in the cold...and i could see the blacktop road in front of my mailbox, and could watch the cars drive by, and not have to be out in it...plus i could see on the camera HOW BAD the road was covered by snow, i have my camera pointed toward my mail box and the black top in front of my mail box, sooooo i can also see when the mail lady brings my mail, i have the volume up enough, that i can hear the mail lady or cars going by, or a car entering my driveway "when" i'm in my kitchen....before i had camera...i could NOTTTTTT hear ALL THAT thru the walls of my house.... like i said, it brings the outdoors "inside"... i can hear birds chirping, while inside my house, thats better than having birds in a bird cage, cuz i dont have a bird "cage" to CLEAN haha... let me know, if...if...my post is a bigger help to you, thanks:)
on September 12, 2016
Had the older version of this same camera.It had a metal case and better mount system.I hope it last as long.Its my front porch camera,so don't need much night vision.The microphone is great,and came with all the power supply and 60' cables. Camera has a problem flickering between day/night mode.If I watch it to long it would probably give me a seizure.lol.I kept it for the great mic.Otherwise it sucks
on April 17, 2011
I am running several of these GE 45231 Security cameras on my Ubuntu/Zoneminder system configured 320x240, black and white. These do color reasonably well, but color is a waste of system resources. They are providing excellent results (reasonably sharp image) during daylight hours. However, "unaided" night vision is severely limited and grainy. With the "aid" of extra outside lighting, however; they are plenty adequate. Facial features are easily recognizable up to 30 feet during the day, although "license plate" recognition will not be possible with these cameras. These cameras are fairly small and are easy to install. They come with a power cube. Video and power is contained in one cable. I had to cut the cable from the camera during installations to past the cable "through-the-wall, otherwise a fairly large hole would be required to pass the video and power connectors. Cutting the cable enabled only a 3/16th hole versus a 1/2in or larger, otherwise. I use these as outside cameras and have crafted a tin shield to keep the weather off them. I have had NO issues with condensation or moisture during adverse or wet weather operations. If you need good night time illumination during operations, these are NOT your cameras. You would be better off spending a few more dollars and purchase cameras with 30 or more IR LEDS. However, if you have supplemental lighting during night operations, these cameras work well. These cameras do have a few IR LEDs, but realistically, are barely useful for anything other than catching critters flying in front of the lens, maximum of 5-10ft distance at their very best. This camera NEEDS good interior/exterior lighting to function well.

2/18/2013
After two years since my last comments on the GE 45231 video camera, I felt I should add a few more comments regarding my experiences with it. I still have the original GE45231 cameras running on my Zoneminder camera system and they are doing exceptionally well to this day. I must confirm that the camera works far better if used in conjunction with some outside lighting source such as a security light. I have purchased several "very" expensive $150+ cameras with 30 or more LEDs. The problem is that the expensive cameras are "far" more sensitive and pick up minute bugs, dust and fog causing excessive false imagery. I have found the back lighted GE 45231 to be far superior in night time operations. Daytime operation has never been an issue. Moral of the story is, if you desire minute detail, then the GE 45231 is not your camera. If, however you wish general video monitoring, the GE 45231 does an exceptionally good job. Yesterday, I purchased two more GE 45231 cameras from Amazon to replace two cameras I burned up due to experimentation.( grin ). I discovered they are "very" sensitive to voltage spikes.

1/27/2016
All my GE 45231 cameras, to this day, are still functioning without issues. I actually use one on the end of a 70ft length of Cat6 cable as my outside roaming camera, mainly to discover where the mice are coming in. ( smile )

In my previous review comments, I neglected to add that the GE 45231 camera comes with a 9 volt power cube... NOT 12 volts. Also, I do not use siemes cabling. I use LTA1010 Baluns with Cat6 cable with RJ45 connectors. You can use Cat5 too. Why? If at some point I chose to switch to IP cameras, my Cat6 cabling is already in place. ( smile ) The LTA1010 Baluns also transfer power to the cameras as well. However, I must warn you. Be SURE your CAT wiring is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!! You can burn up a camera up easily. I know from experience! Use a CAT cable tester to be sure!

The GE 45231s are neat little cameras!!
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 24, 2013
I used to have a security camera system that had a small 7" B/W monitor and a camera so I wasn't expecting to much from this camera at first. Well, I was very pleasently surprised. I have a front porch that has a good protected area on it and I wanted a camera that would face toward the drive and street I live on as the trailer I live at has a front door that faces away from my street. Installation wasn't to bad. I ran into one small problem as the instruction book indicated that there were a template included as to where to place the holes to mount the camera base on, but I couldn't find one included as mentioned in the instructions. This was solved by taking a piece of paper and placing the camera base on it and trancing the outline of the base on it and then lifting it up and carefully punching two holes where the screw mount holes narrowed down. After this it was a matter of drilling two small holes with my drill and driving home the screws. The camera's base allows setting the camera in any position you need even upside down if you need to. Running the cable wasn't that hard. I suggest that you don't plug in the 60 foot cable before you need to. Since the 60 foot cable contains A/V and power your not limited to where you place the power supply and it can be at the end of the cable. I ran my cable from the front porch to the Computer Room which is at the front of my trailer about 50 feet from where the camera was. I had more than enough cable for this. I plugged it into a VCR I had and when I plugged it in, the camera worked the first time withj no problems. The picture is much better than the old camera I used to have and the audio is good too. I did noticed a very small amount of hum on the audio but it wasn't all that bad. I have a small night light on my front porch and it seemed to help the picture at night. I also noted and when a car turns in to my street at night, the color comes back on for just a second when the light reaches the porch from the road so it seems to adjust well to changing light conditions. To this time, I can little to complain about and it seems to work fine and without any problems so far. I'm glad I got this.

Update 9/24/13:
I'm more impressed now than at first. One of these cameras that I have is in a really hostile location. It's subjected to water, rough treatment at times (A raccoon tried to eat it!) and if it was going to fail it should have by now. To make a long story short I thought it had two days ago. I noted the picture from it flicking and after about a day it went out, so after I noted the camera felt cold to the touch, (They run a bit warm when working.) I decided I'd lost a camera. After ordering another replacement, I was pulling the old camera's cable out and found a small area where a squirrel had chewed thru the cable! After replacing the cable, the camera was as good as new! So after everything this one camera as been thru, a chewing squirrel cutting the cable was what caused the camera to go down and NOT a camera failure. One of the best buys I've made and I ordered another for a spare!!! Well, made!
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 12, 2013
This camera certainly transmits a high definition picture to my monitor and it has very sensitive audio . The audo is very important to me in that I do not have to be viewing the monitor constantly. When I hear a noise (vehicle, human or non-human) I am alerted to look at the monitor.
on February 18, 2016
clear picture and good night vision.Exactly what I was looking for.
on December 15, 2014
Best camera I've found for the price. I now have 3. Night vision okay, but covers both vehicles so wide overage, front and back door. Day vision is great and I can hear a leaf blow down the street, so audio also great!
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.