Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on June 16, 2012
I bought a laptop that had terrible speakers (as most laptops do). After getting tired of barely being able to hear music or videos from more than a couple feet away, I ordered the GE Portable USB-Powered Soundbar Speaker 98930. Overall, I am very pleased with it. I mainly wanted a soundbar that could significantly increase the volume of my laptop, and this does it! I teach college, and I can show videos to my class using this soundbar so that the students in the back of the class can hear everything.

The value of this product is excellent. There are other similar products that do the same thing for 4 or 5 times the price. I am very glad I ordered this one as it does what I really want it to. My brother has a $50 speakerbar and I actually prefer mine, as it is more portable and easier to use. It fits more easily in a laptop bag because it is smaller, lighter, and has a slimmer profile.

The audio quality is OK. For someone who simply wants to watch movies or listen to music, it is fine. Its audio depth is an improvement over the native laptop speakers, but it is not as good as the more expensive brands (for those who care about such things).

My only real complaint is that the speaker has a tendency to fall off the laptop easily. (I have a Toshiba Satellite.) If the laptop is on a table and no one touches the screen, it is fine. However, if you intend to adjust the screen, move the laptop, or attempt to use it on your lap with the speakers plugged in, you are likely to send a pound of hard plastic crashing down on your keyboard. You can just set the speakerbar to the side to prevent that, but it defeats the purpose when the speakers are not pointed at your head. A firmer grip on top of the laptop screen would make this product really amazing.

As it is though, I recommend this product for the price. It is very easy to use and does its job well.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 19, 2012
Yes, I can now hear my movies and music much better than with the built-in speakers. This speaker has one major flaw, however. It doesn't stay on the laptop if there is any motion at all. Sitting on my bed watching something on Netflix, get up to go to the kitchen, speaker falls off. And it doesn't fall off gently, no, no. It crashes into the laptop with incredible consistency. Every time, I was a little more worried I as going to break something. Now, I just place the speaker wherever is convenient -on the keyboard, on the tray table, or even next to my head if I'm trying to watch something while hubby is sleeping.

***UPDATE*** It is now June of 2016. We have been using this speaker for more than four years, and it's still going strong. I use a separate keyboard with my laptop, so the speaker just sits at the upper potion of my laptop keyboard. We've gone through at least two computers in that time, and the speaker just gets attached to the new one. I'm sure there are better, updated models, but this was a good purchase, even if it doesn't stay where it was intended to go.
on August 1, 2012
I bought this speaker a month ago for my Acer laptop, which has severely low sound at a bad quality. If there are people talking regularly in the same room as my laptop, I am not able to hear anything properly, even with the volume cranked.

I was looking for a cheap speaker, and came across this one. For $6.25, with less than $6 shipping, this was exactly what I was looking for, at a great price. The sound is clear, and the volume is decent. The only real suggestion I have is that the front part of the speaker could have been a little longer, to avoid it falling off the top of the screen - but this should not be a deal breaker, as once you have it set, it usually stays until you have to move the laptop or tilt the screen.
on July 14, 2012
This speaker serves its purpose in that it allows me to watch videos on my laptop that ordinarily I wouldn't be able to enjoy because the volume was too low. The quality of the sound is just fine, especially for the price- I actually paid only $11. and change for it a few weeks ago. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it won't stay securely on top of my laptop and so I just prop it up against the front or leave it laying down along the side of the computer. I know others will not have a problem in that area, depending on which laptop you own. Mine is a 17 in Toshiba Satellite.
on August 11, 2012
seemed to work ''ok'' when I first got (couple of days) well besides the sound 'crackled' a bit... but for some reason it just decided to stop working?!!! My laptop flashed a notice saying that I had undetected hardware plugged in or something like that... I tried re-doing the process, checking how to's online etc... no luck!! Even tried on another laptop same results!! Maybe I just got a bad one??? but I will warn anyone that wants to stick this on their laptop screen.. be very careful!!! any movement etc will cause this to fall!! and because of the design (tab to 'balance' it on there) when this falls, it WILL fall FORWARD onto your SCREEN/KEYBOARD (just so ya know)!!
on March 7, 2013
I was looking for a way to improve upon my laptops poor sound with speakers that are roughly .6 inches in diameter giving poor bass response.

This sound bar has much large larger speakers making for a richer bass response.
Having USB connectivity, it is easy to use and set up.
To get the best sound out of them, I tweaked the sound settings via my laptops audio control panel.

The only thing that needs to be improved, is that the mounting tab does not have any way to adjust for the thickness of a laptops cover/screen.
Hence the 4 star rating
on October 24, 2012
Happy with the speakers and they work well. Not super loud without being a little fuzzy, but for me they work perfect to quadruple the sound output from my laptop without any fuzzyness like the tiny built in speakers put out.
on October 25, 2013
I don't have the package, otherwise it would have been immediately mailed back. Seriously, the speakers INSIDE the laptop, were LOUDER than this clunky, unstable bar. It does not hold well across the top of the screen, there is only a small ledge and with the slightest movement it's like Humpty Dumpty! It also has a short USB cable, so with a larger laptop, be sure it will reach a port.
on June 14, 2012
This USB speaker by GE works just as well as I expected based on the other reviews.

PROS: Voices are clear and well projected.
Great for watching netflix on laptop.
Setup was a breeze, plug & play.
No issue sitting on top of laptop screen..seems to fit well.
Fills a 12x12 room with clear playing music.

CONS: No bass.

Very pleased with this purchase!
on July 16, 2013
this made my computer go crazy. blink blink blink. I never could get it to work. I went to a store bought one to plug into earphone connection of my computer and that one worked fine. Maybe this will work on your computer, it just did not work on mine.