Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 89 reviews
on May 31, 2013
Granted, this burner is significantly bulkier than slim and portable burners, but it's also really fast. The fastest slim burners I could find were 8x and this 24x puts those to shame. This unit requires a power adapter as well as a USB cable, but it sits on my desk and I don't need to take it with me. My only reservation with this product is that it doesn't do Lightscribe, but quite honestly, I've used Lightscribe maybe 5 times in total, so I'm not losing anything. I am much happier that I got a faster burner than one with Lightscribe and lesser performance.

The build quality is great and no installation is necessary. My computer found it right away and was able to use it immediately.

I highly recommend this drive as it is exceedingly fast and easy to use.

UPDATE: Some reviews have stated that this device is not compatible with Windows 8, but my experience speaks to the contrary. I have used this device flawlessly on both Windows 7 (Pro x64) and Windows 8 (Pro x64) without issue. In both cases, the drive is immediately seen and usable by the OS, and I have experienced absolutely no problems with it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Works on Windows 8.1 (Pro x64) without issue.
on July 27, 2013
I purchased this because I really dislike the burners in both my home and office (I have an iMac with a superdrive at home and whatever the standard drive was that came with the HP workstation I use at work), and despite a few hiccups this drive really has been working fabulously.

It's fast and easy to setup, and although the plug-n-play worked fine at work on the PC I use there, I did find that without updating there were some minor issues. I installed the software on the included disk and had to restart my machine, but afterward it's been clear sailing. I had been getting some weird error before I did this second step and wasted a few CD-Rs in the process of figuring it out, but once I restarted I was able to quickly burn dozens of backup disks quickly and easily. My PC at work is also under my desk in a very inconvenient location that requires me to bend over and reach each time I burn something, and when you have to burn dozens of disks this becomes a little distracting from my other tasks. This burner is easily accessable from on top of my desk now, so I can just keep burning disks without pulling me away from my other projects for more than a few seconds.

It's quiet as well, and the software is also a little quicker than using the default Windows 7 burning utility and confirms the disk was burned correctly and without errors.

It's not really portable in a way that you'd want to throw it into your bag every day, but it's not so big/heavy that you'd be unable to bring it along for whatever reason if you need to use it while traveling or from several locations.

As a side note, since there is some confusion about this.. this is NOT a lightscribe drive. There is another similar model produced by LG that IS lightscribe, but this one is the model down from that. Honestly I don't use lightscribe often since the process of designing the labels is a little frustrating and limited (I'm a graphic artist/art director/photographer and I really like to put thought/effort into my lightscribe designs), and the disks are painfully expensive. I don't think there is a big loss here without that particular functionality, but I was confused about it and thought this drive did indeed have that capability.

Overall I still give it 5 stars for being faster and quieter than my other drives and being pretty easy to use without any big issues.
on September 3, 2017
Solid disc burner, very fast and reliable. I have used this unit for over 2 years without a hitch. My only complaint is that it does not recognize the speed of burning controls on Toast software when burning CDs, and only burns them at high speed. Lower speed burning will produce a more durable CD.
on January 20, 2017
My 2009 iMac's optical drive went out and the Apple Store can't go in now that it's considered "vintage". This is a drawback of slot loading drives. Did some research on external drives & found it was crucial to find one that will work with an iMac that has an internal drive (working or not) as opposed to MacBook Air's (no internal optical drives). Works great!
on June 14, 2014
works. I purchased this to sit on my desk, because i don't like flimsy thin drives. They feel cheap and slide around when you use them.

This can sit verticle or horizontal which is also nice if space is needed. It is difficult to find external drive bays these days. I wish a company would make a drive bay enclosure so i can put any drive bay i want inside, much like hard drive enclosures.. Maybe i haven't looked hard enough, but anyone who knows of one.. let me know.

No cons so far.. works good for the price. looks nice as well.
on July 24, 2015
I got 2 of these and they work just fine .... just keep in mind that speed is controlled by your processer, so it will not run any faster that your processer can feed it ..... if you have a slow computer and your thinking this will burn faster than the one that came with your computer, don't. its only a slave to the machine that's sending the data ...... but its a good burner with a fast processor
on June 17, 2013
I wasted so many dvd's that I just plain gave up on it entirely. Ok it did burn a single file to disc, but after that it .....was downhill from there. I was surprised because I only use LG drives, but this one just angered me more and more. I kept trying, hoping it would work but dvd are just too damn expensive to continue wasting them, so I gave up. I found another drive here on Amazon which turned out to be just the opposite, and am very impressed with it....read my review on the UH12NS29 (an internal Blue Ray reader/dvd rewriter)--Turned me right back to LG, Hope this review helps.........
on January 8, 2017
works perfect..
on July 22, 2016
The burner is an easy-to-install, easy-to-use device with M-Disc burning capabilities compatible with Windows and a range of older Mac OSs. Seems to offer only 4x speed when burning DVD-DLs but it does a fine job on them. I recommend this product.
on March 23, 2013
Couldn't get my computer; a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13, running Windows 8, to recognize the LG GE24NU30 as a Lightscribe device. I primarily purchased a burner with Lightscibe capabilities, so at least for me, the LG was an unsatisfying purchase. The LG appears to be well constructed and did a good job burning a couple of CD's, so for people who don't want Lightscribe, the LG may be a good choice.