Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,181 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,417 reviews
on August 8, 2017
I almost read this book in 2 days. The book is so captivating and it was easy to relate to my small business. I recommend this book if you need a boost of confidence in the business path that you're headed. Sophia Amoruso is edgy and so unconventional that you don't want to put the book down. She gives "real" advice on how to let go of the things you're not good at and thrive on the things you rock at!
on June 18, 2017
Love this book and her crazy story. It is inspiring to see with will power and nobody telling you no, you truly achieve something... and with spam. lol Too bad we don't have millions of myspace friends to spam, but there is Facebook advertising. ;)
on March 1, 2015
This is a great book for young girls that have just finished college or girls who are interested in fashion. Based on her experience she gives details on what to put on your résumé, what to put on your portfolio, what to say in an interview and bullet points to write a great cover letter, she inspires girls to be entrepreneurs or to not be afraid to seek a career in a growing fashion business and not to die in the attempt.
I find the book to be a perfect gift for girls that have lost the motivation of seeking a career in fashion. She has a strong encouraging voice, alongside little advises from other fashion entrepreneurs and lovely illustrations.
She gives advise on how being authentic can make a great difference towards business or in a work interview or application, she also gives tips on how to treat costumers, and give a great costumer experience. She does not believes in lack but to fight for your aspirations and dreams with talent and hard work.
on May 29, 2014
3.5 stars. The first half of the book was very interesting and it should have stopped there! The last 100+pages (starting at the 'hiring' chapter) to read left me with the bitter feeling that I will never fall for these types of "how to; autobiographish-like" books. It felt like she tried to figure out ways to render the book thicker, repeting herself or dwelling on irrelevant subtopics.... A pain...
I would not prevent anyone from reading this book. Many people will still enjoy it.
on September 9, 2015
Narcissistic fluff by a rank amateur. Millenial should stay away because other than saying work hard and get sh__ done, you will only be led astray. Amorous gets away with this stuff only because she is the girlboss. If she was an employee, she would have a short career
on August 22, 2014
The book is worth the read. It is empowering. If you have had any sort of troubled childhood you will find some of her story relatable. Or at the very least understand where she is coming from.

She's a lot like me in the sense that she did not enjoy or care to work for others. Especially where she was not treated well and just another number (the majority of jobs out there). Sure her jobs all didn't need much of an education, but even the ones that I've had that do were pretty much no different. Just saying...

You will love this book if:
*You are young and opened minded (at least at heart)
*You are a little bit of a "brat" and only want to do what you want to do for a living (I'm an only child so this is deep in my bones like it or not)
*You love a good something from nothing story
*You find getting into the head of someone that would eat food from a dumpster, then go on to start a multimillion dollar company fascinating
*You dance to the beat of a different drum

On the other hand you might HATE this book if:
*You preach education is the MOST important thing to gain success in life
*You believe the only way to have success is working hard doing something you may or may not want to do every day
*You have a distaste for those that you feel become successful by accident (maybe you're a little jelly)
*You just want to know the nuts and bolts of how she runs her business and not the "fluff" which I refer to as the story

It's an easy and quick read. The time will fly by. I read this on vacation and at the end I felt like I could find greater success in my company if I kept at it.

It is not a how to book, but if you look closely you will get actionable advice. I admit I still have not heard about her company other than in the book. But that doesn't make any difference to enjoy the book.
on June 6, 2016
I sincerely wish I had had these incredibly insightful, funny and powerful words 10 years ago. Sophia is obviously a seriously awesome chick. She burns with some kind of magical fury; a fury that led her from bad to good, from crazy to crazier. She's freaking awesome. I'm gonna give this book to every 18 year old girl I know who is just starting to look up at the future road ahead of her. Best advice from this book: don't listen to anyone else but yourself. "It is she who listens to the rest of the world who fails, and she who has enough confidence to define success and failure for herself who succeeds." - Sophia Amoruso
I enjoyed this book however it was not what I had anticipated. It's more for maybe women under 25 years old and anyone seeking entrepreneurship in the fashion industry. It was more directed at Sophia's personal life and experience although I took some very helpful things from this book. This book was written extremely well and held my attention. I refused to let my 10 bucks go to waste so I read the entire book...
on October 14, 2014
Ok here are the Pros of the book: quick read, easy read, perfect for young female readers (highschool - college age), overall inspiring story. Cons of the book: a tad bit boring and the "real" advice is lacking. I really wanted to love this story because Sophia's story is inspiring but I just found myself never getting there. It is very lighthearted and if you are not looking for something in depth than you will love this book. For me I kept wanting to hear more about her TRUE process. How was hiring and firing people, how does she lead, did she have any trials, how does she strategize and plan? Those questions never got answered. The overall book just never got very deep for me.... all surface no depth. It also seemed to repeat itself a lot, here in lies the boring part. I felt like I often was re-reading the same chapter over and over again.
on September 4, 2016
This was a very easy read and I have a lot of underlines in mine since there are many golden nuggets throughout for anyone who is considering starting their own business. I would recommend this to others.