Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 157 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 173 reviews
on January 8, 2011
First of all, although I only give it a 3 star, this player is well worth the money.
I read several bad reviews in RadioShack website just after I ordered this GPX PC800B from Amazon. I almost decided to decline the delivery and return it to Amazon; I am glad that I did not.

Pros:
1. Sound quality: After all, if you are still listening to a portable CD player in this MP3 age, you are more concerned about the sound quality than the size and portability of the player. This GPX player has quite decent sound. I compared this player with a Sony D-NF400 portable CD player which also had MP3 decoding ability. Overall, the GPX was better than Sony D-NF400, the bass much stronger and well powered, the treble brighter and the orchestra better spread for details, although the Sony sound was a little cleaner. I am surprised that this GPX drove my 300 ohm Sennheiser HD600 pretty well (Like most other portable players, the earbud came with the player is just a piece of junk). Sony D-NF400 gave exploded, broken sound to the HD600 when I used enhanced bass (a sign of insufficient power to drive high impedance headphone). The EQ setting works well, although I do not like to use it at all. If you like pop music, the bass booster or rock setting should be very helpful. Overall, I am very satisfied with the sound quality considering the size and price; and this is the reason I keep this player.
2. Anti-skip: Several reviewers in RadioShack complaint about skipping problem. I have not had that problem at all. I tried to bang the player slightly on the desk, and carried it around my home on different positions, the anti-skip system always works just perfect. I have not, and will not try it in the gym. I think a small Sansa Clip will serve that purpose much better.
3. MP3 playback works fantastic, the sound quality is still much better than any MP3 player could provide.

Now several big flaws that make me give it a 3 star:
1. The line-out output is not real line-out. The line-out is under the volume control, which means it is still an output after internal headphone amplifier, just with reduced currency. I ordered this GPX primarily because I saw a line-out output in the technical description, and had confirmed it in the online user guide. This is the only feature that makes this GPX player standing out among all other cheap portable CD players. However, a line-out after internal amp is just a fake! Why would I want a line-out if it has already gone through the low quality amplifier?
2. No resume function. Any time you push the stop button, everything is gone. You are not able to go back to your previous song, not to mention the previous point of play, nor could it retain the previous volume or EQ setting. I am surprised this easy and convenient function is omitted.
3. Battery life: I am using a pair of rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries that hold 2450 mAh power each. It lasted about 8 hours. It is definitely not as good as Sony D-NF400, which plays more than 50 hours on a pair of rechargeable batteries. It is not a big concern of mine because I use an AC/DC adaptor; however, the short battery life is a big problem to the portability.
4. The background noise was pretty obvious; you can always hear the hiss when there are only a few instruments play at low volume.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a cheap portable CD player with decent sound quality for music at home/office, this is an excellent player. Don't expect to use it for your Hi-Fi system though; and you probably need an AC/DC adaptor.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
Like others, I was leary of buying this item due to all the bad reviews. But this is a player that I have been looking over 2 years for. It is just like the Durabrand cd-968 I have been using for 4 years and strongly suspect that GPX bought the rights from Durabrand. From some of the reviews I read, the people complained about bad sound. I suspect that some of these people want a very high quality sound which they will never get on a low cost portable player. They probably need an expensive stereo system. As for the person who complained that the product was received damaged and taped, they obviously got one that had been used and returned. Although I purchased this item months ago, I needed time to use it before writing a review. As I said, since it is identical to another model I've been using, I am already familiar with it's features. Due to the 5 preset equalizer settings, you can get different sounds. I prefer the double base. Overall, the player has a good sound range so you can play it low or quite loud. It plays cd's that I've bought in stores perfectly with no problems. I have found that on cd's that I've burned it takes awhile to read the cd and the pauses in between songs is longer than I've had on other players. For me, this is a minor problem. It may be that I don't usually burn more than 30 songs per disc (sometimes only 18 to 20) and therefore burn them on the lowest possible speed. The extra bonus is that it plays both cd fomats as well as mp3. I will say that if your disc (whether bought or burned yourself) has any flaw such as a skip or the song ends abruptly, this player is not forgiving and will pick it up. Also, I do not use the ear buds that came with the player. I have my own set of quality headphones. I am quite happy with the player. So much so, that I bought a second one. What I don't understand is why it is called the GPX PC800B. The model number on the player clearly says GPX PC800. No B. Maybe someone can give me the answer. Also, another thing I like is that there is a label on the back which tells you when the player was made. One of the ones I bought was made in December of 2010 and the other in April of 2011, but I did see one in a store that was made in September of 2010. My advice is to buy it and try it. If you don't like it, you can always return it. The only thing I don't know is how long the player will last. On average, my other players lasted 3 to 4 years. Only time will tell. Lastly, I paid around $25 for my first one through Amazon with free shipping. I recently went to Radio Shack just out of curiosity and they wanted $38 or $39 plus tax.
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
This is a great little MP3/CD portable disc player. I had one already and liked it so much, I am ordering another one. There are not many choices anymore in "diskman" type CD players, especially those that also play MP3. After searching long and hard at local stores and online, I opted for this one and have not been disappointed. Has a useful text display for MP3 titles, good quality, and 'hard to complain about" price.
on March 3, 2017
I've trie several GPX CD's. Not all have been great, but this one works very well and may be the cheapest they have. I lacks anti-skip protection, but it returns to the correct spot faster than the ones that do have anti-skip. I bopught one more because they don't last forever. Maybe this one will.
on January 28, 2013
I have tried two disks now of the same story, both are bad disks according to the player. And this is just after I put the disk in for the first time.
on May 21, 2014
I have been looking for a CD player for a long time. This one had all of the features I wanted. When I received it and used it it worked beautifully. I enjoy it very much.
on January 6, 2011
I purchased this CD player to listen to MP3 cds and it worked for a couple of days. Then I just got a "reading" sign on the display and nothing else. It hasn't worked since.
on November 21, 2012
I REALLY like this player. It has all the features I wanted in a cheaper portable player but it does eat batteries. However, I found that the 1.6 volt NiZn batteries do VERY well in this unit. I noticed the bad reviews of some who said that it has a problem with the anti-skip. I too had that problem until I switched to these NiZn batteries. It seems this unit needs a lot of power to run properly and when I was just using alkaline batteries, it would skip/shut off with any jolt after just about an hour or two of runtime. But when I switched to these NiZn, it played great for several hours. I am returning my first unit due to a bad headphone jack that cuts the right channel when the headphones are plugged all the way in. I'm ordering another player in hopes that the jack will be fine and everything will work well.
on January 15, 2011
Product is very poor quality.One of the earbuds did not work and the jack was very tempramental you could not push it in all the way or you could not hear anything. It required you to mess with how far you pluged the jack into it. Its a waste of money, would suggest buying sony and save yourself the regret of purchasing this item.
on May 16, 2012
This item failed right out of the box. Will not read any type of CD, store bought or burned at home. Display just says "Reading" until it times out and says "No disc" and shuts down. Packaging was discarded accidentaly so not able to return. Lesson learned.