- Series: Kaplan Test Prep
- Paperback: 696 pages
- Publisher: Kaplan Publishing; Csm Pap/Ps edition (June 6, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1506219837
- ISBN-13: 978-1506219837
- Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 1.4 x 10.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 173 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #249 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
GRE Prep Plus 2018: Practice Tests + Proven Strategies + Online + Video + Mobile (Kaplan Test Prep) Csm Pap/Ps Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How does this edition differ from the prior edition?
New to this edition are practice sets for each math topic: arithmetic and number properties, ratios and math formulas, algebra, statistics, counting methods and probability, and geometry. In addition, the five chapters on the Analytical Writing Assessment have been revised.
2. Does this edition cover all the latest test changes?
When changes to the GRE are announced, we update all of our resources to reflect them. We encourage students to visit the test maker’s website to get up-to-the-minute information about the test.
3. What is provided online?
- Two full-length practice tests.
- 500-question Qbank you can use to create customized quizzes.
- Six videos introducing Kaplan strategies for GRE question types and providing grad school application tips.
- Twelve workshops to help you master the various GRE question types.
- Ten 20-question Quantitative practice sets.
- Ten 20-question Verbal practice sets.
- Five Analytical Writing practice sets of two prompts each.
- Detailed answer explanations and sample essay responses.
- Online answer grid for the practice test found in this book.
- Academic support from Kaplan faculty.
4. How do I register for the online resources?
Follow the instructions included on the card at the front of your book.
5. Why doesn't Kaplan use official test questions?
All official test questions are owned by ETS and are not licensed to any other organizations. Kaplan, like all other GRE prep providers, is not allowed to use official test questions. Kaplan employs teams of test content experts and psychometricians with decades of experience writing test-like questions and creating practice tests, ensuring we offer the most realistic prep possible.
6. What sets this GRE guide apart?
Kaplan has been helping students with test prep for nearly 80 years. Our experienced teachers and tutors—who know students inside and out—write our materials. We know the stumbling blocks students commonly encounter—and how to overcome them. Our strategic approaches are geared to help students master the test as efficiently as possible, and our explanations are clear and thorough, written with empathy for the learner.
From the Author
Be sure to visit our author page to kept up-to-date on events, videos, and new blog posts that can be helpful during your GRE Prep.
About the Author
For almost 80 years, Kaplan Test Prep (www.kaptest.com) has been helping students grow their knowledge, skills and confidence so they can be their best on Test Day. Our prep books and online resources provide the expert guidance that students need at every step of their educational journey – incorporating years of test-specific data and strategies tested by Kaplan students and our own expert psychometricians.
After helping millions of students, we know what works. Our guides deliver knowledge with clarity and simplicity while focusing on the specialized strategies that keep test-takers ahead of the clock and at the top of their game.
We offer preparation for more than 90 standardized tests – including entrance exams for secondary school, college, and graduate school, as well as professional licensing exams for attorneys, physicians, and nurses.
With a full array of self-paced and live online courses, as well as print books and mobile apps, you can use Kaplan to study on your own schedule and at your own speed. Kaplan’s private tutors and admissions consultants supplement those offerings with one-on-one support.
Top customer reviews
The fact that this is currently the highest selling GRE test-prep book on Amazon tells me that GRE test-takers don't always know what they are doing, and perhaps that they don't realize that the 6 tests (5 online CATs and 1 in the book) are not real GREs. It also tells me that sometimes, marketing and hype can trump quality and realism. To me, Kaplan has always represented the lowest common denominator of test-prep books, and this one is no exception.
First, let’s contrast Kaplan’s book description with reality.
**Kaplan: “GRE Premier 2017 is a comprehensive prep system that includes…”
**Reality: This book is quite full of information, yes, but it is clearly not comprehensive because it doesn’t include any official GRE test questions. That’s right: there are exactly ZERO real GRE questions in this book, despite the fact that there are nearly 1,000 real questions available to test-takers, straight from the test maker, through the free GRE Powerprep Software (google "GRE Revised General Test: POWERPREP II Software" to find and download this software) and the Official GRE Super Power Pack: Official GRE Super Power Pack So how could this book ever be honestly marketed as “comprehensive?” I understand that there are copyright issues involved, but the least Kaplan could do is to mention that these official GRE materials exist—otherwise it is doing its students and clients a disservice by making them feel fully prepared for the GRE, when they in fact are not. If acing the GRE were as easy as Kaplan makes it seem, then everyone would do it. The fact is that to maximize your score you need to put in hard work and practice with real GRE questions.
Why are the GRE Official Guides (Super Power Pack) the very best place to start your GRE preparation, other than the free PowerPrep software? Because the questions in these books are super-realistic. They are just like the questions on the real GRE, because these books are written by the test-maker and use actual GRE questions. Don't waste your time and money practicing on questions made by any other companies--these are merely inferior imitations of the real thing. If you must use other materials for test strategy and learning, then that's fine, and in most cases necessary, but try your best to stick to official questions whenever possible.
**Kaplan: “Kaplan guarantees that if you study with this book and online resources, you will score higher on the GRE—or you'll receive a full refund.”
**Reality: So, if for some reason you already took the GRE, and you buy this book and try to use it, and your score doesn’t go up a single point (!), and you decide to go through the process of formally sending this book back and requesting your $22 refund, then we will request documentation and, after an inevitable bureaucratic delay, eventually give you your $22 back. Yes, you might get your money back, but you will still be stuck with a low GRE score and nothing to show for it.
Am I surprised by any of this? No. I've been in the test-prep industry for a long time, and since then, this purgatory between mediocrity and incompetence is what I have come to expect from Kaplan. That, and an army of anonymous online droids who predictably show up on Amazon, immediately after any Kaplan book is published, brandishing predictably brief, vague and grammatically incorrect 5-star reviews. I would strongly suggest that students and parents read the many 5-star reviews of this book thoroughly to see which ones you feel are from actual GRE test takers or parents, and not paid, anonymous reviewers.
TWO MAIN REASONS WHY I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS BOOK:
1) Kaplan is not horrible; it's just OK. That being said, the Manhattan Manhattan Prep GRE Set of 8 Strategy Guides (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides) , Barron's Barron's GRE, 21st Edition and Princeton Review GRE guides Cracking the GRE Premium Edition with 6 Practice Tests, 2017 (Graduate School Test Preparation) are all better than Kaplan's. Kaplan is the best at marketing, perhaps, but not the best GRE strategy and learning book. I would suggest that you read the many (upcoming, trust me) 5-star reviews of this book thoroughly to see which ones you feel are from actual GRE test takers, and not paid, anonymous online reviewers.
2) As I wrote earlier, the Official Guides to the GRE are currently ranked lower on the GRE best-sellers list than this book by Kaplan. How is it possible that you would buy this book before you buy the Official Guides to the test you are taking? You should always try to practice with real GRE questions whenever possible, because the practice questions in this book (and online) are noticeably different from real GRE questions.
Amazon is a very democratic place, and anyone is given a voice, including unknown individuals with questionable agendas, so do your research and see what GRE experts such as myself and (my “GRE Vocab Capacity” co-author) Vince Kotchian have to say about these types of "all in one" GRE preparation guides.
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THE POWERPREP CATs: TWO OFFICIAL CATS ARE NOT ENOUGH, SO SUPPLEMENT WITH MANHATTAN, BARRON’S OR PRINCETON REVIEW.
As I have already mentioned, the free GRE Powerprep Software contains two official GRE CATs (computer adaptive tests). When you take the test, you will only see 80 questions, but there are 160 possible questions on each test, depending on your performance on the first section. For more information on this, google "The GRE PowerPrep II Scoring Algorithm, Demystified."
Since there are only two official CATs from ETS, You’re going to want to find another source of CATs, since you should take around 4-8 tests before you are fully prepared. My preferred company for this purpose is Manhattan GRE.
You can either buy the entire series of books, which is helpful but pricey, or you can simply buy the books individually GRE Algebra Strategy Guide (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides), based upon your needs. Either way, you will gain access (through a scratch code on the back of each book) to Manhattan’s 6 online GRE CATs, which are a bit harder than the real thing, and slightly different from the real GRE, but worthy imitations nonetheless.
For my additional GRE prep recommendations, google "GRE Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring." Please leave any questions or comments below and I’ll be sure to respond.
GRE Prep Plus 2018 (currently $24) is marketed as a "comprehensive prep system" for the GRE. Yet like its predecessor, GRE Premier 2017 with 6 Practice Tests: Online + Book + Videos + Mobile (Kaplan Test Prep), to which it is virtually identical in content, almost nowhere in the book (other than one line of text buried on page 576) do the authors reference the GRE official test materials, such as the Official Guide to the GRE The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, Third Edition, the GRE Super Power Pack Official GRE Super Power Pack 2/E (Test Prep), and the free PowerPrep software from ETS, which are indispensable parts of the GRE prep process, and the only sources of real GRE questions (around 1,000 official questions total). So how could this book ever be honestly marketed as “comprehensive?” I understand that there are copyright issues involved, but the least Kaplan could do is to direct students' attention to these essential materials—otherwise it is doing its readers a disservice by making them feel fully prepared for the GRE, when they in fact are not. If acing the GRE were as easy as Kaplan makes it seem, then everyone would do it. The fact is that to maximize your score, you need to put in hard work and practice with real GRE questions.
Why are the GRE Official Guides the very best place to start your GRE preparation, other than the free PowerPrep software? Because the questions in these books are super-realistic. They are just like the questions on the real GRE, because these books are written by the test-maker and use actual GRE questions. Don't waste your time and money practicing on questions made by any other companies--these are merely inferior imitations of the real thing. If you must use other materials for test strategy and learning, then that's fine, and in most cases necessary, but try your best to stick to official questions whenever possible.
Like most Kaplan books shortly after their release, dozens of five-star reviews of this book are sure to quickly appear. I would urge you to read those reviews carefully, and to evaluate your sources of information critically, in order to determine which reviews are written by actual GRE test takers, and which ones are not.
Here are my recommendations for GRE practice, strategy, and learning guides that are superior to Kaplan's.
1) The free PowerPrep software from ETS, which includes 2 full CATs, a Test Preview Tool, an untimed practice test (same as Test #1), and Extended Time options.
2) The Official Guide to the GRE, 3rd edition: The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, Third Edition
3) The GRE Super Power Pack, 2nd edition: Official GRE Super Power Pack 2/E (Test Prep)
4) Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides: Manhattan Prep GRE Set of 8 Strategy Guides (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides)
5) Manhattan Prep 5-Lb Book of GRE Practice Questions: 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides)
6) Magoosh: GRE Prep by Magoosh
7) Barron's: Barron's GRE, 22nd Edition
8) McGraw-Hill: McGraw-Hill Education Preparation for the GRE Test 2017 3rd Edition
9) Cliff's Notes: CliffsNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests 3rd Edition
For my full list of GRE prep recommendations, google "GRE Action Plan."
Most recent customer reviews
In my opinion the problems in this book are 85-90% as difficult as the actual test, but if you get really good at these problems you will do...Read more