Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

GTA: Chinatown Wars for a 13 year old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2009, 10:41:09 PM PDT
T. J. Moore says:
I'm getting a dsi really soon and I looked at the buy a ds and get a game free deal and all of the games are crap except for gta chinatowm wars, which I heard its a really great game. But my parents don't really want me to get it because they heard of the sexual stuff in the other gta games. Is it as bad in chinatown wars?

Posted on Nov 27, 2009, 8:10:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2011, 4:30:23 AM PDT
no, its very kid friendly, you should get it!

Posted on Nov 28, 2009, 6:12:40 AM PST
2Dogs1Bowl says:
Meh, shooting cops and running over hookers is pretty standard these days.

Tell you what to do, T.J.. Sit your parents down for a serious conversation, get their attention, and tell them you've met this girl at school you've been hanging out with a bit. Then, as sheepishly as you can, tell them she passed you a note in school that she's pregnant. Let them freak for about 15 seconds, and be like, "no, no, I'm only kidding. But now that you have this newfound sense of relief that I'm a mature young man who hasn't ruined his life, AND remains a solid prospect to make you proud with all of my potential future accomplishments, do you think this Grand Theft Auto game with a little bit of adult subject matter would be out of the question this Christmas?"

Also please report back with your results. Thanks very much.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010, 9:24:01 AM PST
i'm glad your parents are concerned about the sex and not the fact that there's drug dealing and murder in the game, they sound like responsible parents

Posted on Mar 1, 2010, 3:22:09 PM PST
Brian Hazard says:
In short... totally not okay for a 12 year old.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010, 3:01:31 PM PST
dee dee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 21, 2010, 10:47:50 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
Well, considering the OP was from Sept 09, I imagine it's probably null and void. That said, if you're a parent reading this because you're in a similar dilemma I'll give my two cents. 13 is a VERY subjective age, as far as maturity. A 13 year old, depending on the kid may be more like a young adult or more like a young kid(or a mixture of the two). So, maturity of the individual would be the primary factor. GTA games have always been very tongue-in-cheek regarding humor and it can be quite dark(the traumatized veteran's pest control ads in GTA:San Andreas come to mind) and this edition has it's share of that kind of material(a SPAM e-mail offering to buy your children is a good example.) As far as graphic visuals, the in-game graphics are very cartoonish(not to mention tiny)and the cut scenes are just still pictures w/ subtitles. The subtitles, however contain a LOT of cursing and some sexual references. I actually enjoy GTA games largely because of the satirical content. They somehow reference the excessive violence in our culture in a critical way, while at the same time simulating it in an over-the-top sort of way. In one of the random missions for instance, you are approached by a prostitute who asks if you're "looking for a good time" Your character responds with interest, at which point said hooker goes into a rant, railing against men who use and abuse prostitutes. Several of her fellow hookers step from the shadows wielding guns and your mission objective flashes on screen: "Survive the Attack." There are also a series of missions spoofing the violent and exploitative nature of tv news, requiring you to engage in everything from drug dealing to murder so an aspiring tv reporter can get it on film. I don't know if the biting satire is enough to redeem GTA on moral grounds, but I think it gets more mud thrown it's way than it deserves because it's a video game. If your kid's seen a mob flick, he's seen GTA, but probably without any potentially redeeming social critique thrown in.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 25, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about