Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Used seven of these during the Philadelphia Marathon (one every three miles, skipped the last one) and helped propel me to a 3:14. Note to those that have not perfected their fueling patterns, definitely practice fueling at least 3 to 4 times during long runs, would suggest taking a gel everything 5th mile to start and if you need more than that you can move up to a gel every 3rd or 4th mile. Everyone's body reacts differently to these. And as you will find out, only take with water (never Gatorade - too many sugars/carbs at one time)!
89 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2017
In general I try to go with natural sports nutrition but find in marathon and longer that these gels work great for me. Something about the flavor is appealing the whole way through (vs. some other flavors where after mile 16 I cannot even fathom how I'm going to choke the gel down) and the balance of nutrients and sugars does not mess with my stomach. I pretty much exclusively use this gel and this flavor. This got me through Disney's Dopey Challenge runs (48.6 miles over 4 days) admirably with zero gut issues!
11 people found this helpful
on August 26, 2016
These are my go-to energy gels when cycling. They taste good (as good as gels can), and give me a needed energy boost. Follow the directions of taking one before exercise, and then one every 45 minutes, and you will find yourself bonking less and maintaining a good level of energy. They are small and fit easily in my jersey pockets. On a century ride, I take 5-6 and use them every 45 minutes. I like these, and the Tri-berry flavors better than the other ones GU offers.
10 people found this helpful
on March 26, 2018
Gu's have been around for about 25 years and the're still improving them. The first Gu I squeezed out was during a 199 mile Relay from Calistoga Ca to Santa Cruz. I'd completed one leg in the heat of the day in Napa County, a second at 1:00 a.m. just across the Golden Gate Bridge and out along Ocean Beach under a full moon, and was psyched to set a PR on a 10K downhill leg from the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains, descending 1,500 feet. And I BONKED half way through the leg. Thankfully, a teammate hung his arm out the team van window with my first-ever GU. He told me to squeeze it into my mouth, swallow it and wash it down with a few swallows of water. I swear that within 2-3 minutes my legs were back. I took off down the hill and could not believe what had just happened. I've been a fan ever since. I use GU regularly and applaud their shifting towards plant-based products. Today I'm all about road biking, but I learned long ago, that refueling during endurance workouts or events is critical. For the really tough rides I upgrade to their Roctane product but their energy Original gels are my regular "friend", giving me boosts before I ride, and every 45 minutes during my rides. I'd be going a lot slower without them.
on August 18, 2017
Good product, I went with the tri-berry flavor because I bought them in the summer here in southern CA and I'm glad I got this flavor. I felt that fruity flavors would be good in the heat and I was right. No matter how hot the gel got it tasted good and didn't melt. They work like they are suppose to and definitely take them with a couple sips of water so they don't glob your mouth up. I've tasted other brands but these are by far the best tasting and work well with my training regime.
4 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2018
This is the first energy gel I have ever tried. The strawberry banana is pretty good. I can definitely feel a boost of energy that lasts about a half hour to an hour. I didn't like the texture, consistency or flavor at first but after using it on a couple rides it has grown on me and I like to eat it now. They are also easy to carry because they don't take up a lot of room and are not bulky.
on October 24, 2017
I'm so glad they make caffeine-free Gu, and that it doesn't have artificial colors in it. I bought the 24 pack of this. I get migraines and have discovered that after the migraine is gone, if I have a Gu and lots of water, I recover from the migraine postdrome (hangover) much more quickly.

I also love having these for long hikes in the back country. But the use for migraines is a lifesaver.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 3, 2017
I find GU Energy packs to be very good. Each has a variety of salt and caffeine, so if you want to limit your intake of those, you can alternate them with other packs that have fewer amounts of those two. The gels taste good, do not upset my stomach, and help keep me nourished and hydrated on runs exceeding 6 miles. They also are among the most reasonably priced gels.
on November 14, 2017
Clearly different folks favor different flavors over others. For example, I very much like the Strawberry Banana and despise the Salted Caramel (when oh when will that fad die?). And unfortunately, my order of Assorted Fruity Flavors included Salted Caramel rather than Strawberry Banana. That aside, I prefer the GU gels over the other brands I've tried, and have used them in my half marathon training for several years without issue. I find the flavors and texture work just fine for me.
on October 7, 2017
As a 61 yr old, that just started running again to stay in shape, I need every advantage I can get(without using just any garbage)GU serves it's purpose. Five minutes before running I consumed a pack with water. The strawberry - banana taste was good but thick but I feel there's a reason for that because during my 3 to 4 mile run I didn't get as dehydrated & I had more endurance. Plus I took it on an empty stomach. It's caffeine free. I like coffee but caffeine before a run will dehydrate. Have a 5K coming in 2 weeks and this will be in my arsenal.
2 people found this helpful