Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 409 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 485 reviews
on August 9, 2016
Don't buy this grinder. I received this grinder end June 2015. Over the year I used it twice, both times it worked perfectly. On the 3rd use, 13 months later, it failed completely: the motor runs, but the blade does not turn at all. A KRUPS product should not fail on the 3rd use.Further, Amazon said it is no longer standing behind the product as it is too old. I only grind spices, a few times per year. This Mill should have lasted me a life time. Krups does not stand behind it's product. THAT'S BAD.
on May 18, 2015
It is constructed well, looks good, and works well.

Please see photos for 70 grams of coffee in the lid, and then in the body.

There is not an inner container that is removable. Therefore, to dump the ground contents out, you will have to invert the entire unit upside down with the lid still on, thereby placing all ground materials into the lid, separate the body from the lid, and dump the lid. You can also remove the lid, then dump the ground contents. I think a coffee grinder of this size would benefit from a removable inner tray.

The Amazon description states "Oval design and stainless steel blades ensure uniform grinding and chopping," but it is not oval. I think that was a mistake made by copying from the KRUPS F203 ( www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SPEU ) description, which indeed is oval.

The lid is round and locks by aligning it first, then turning it clockwise a very small amount. There are two plastic catches with corresponding notches on the lid that I think will break before long. After less than 5 uses, it's already showing signs of wear. Once these two break, it will be difficult to operate the grinder, because aligning the lid also aligns the upper portion of the push button switch on the lid to the switch mechanism that is flush on the body. Please see attached photos on these.

Also, how they designed the lid near the upper portion of the push button switch will be problematic in cleaning. I already have grounds I cannot reach in the nooks of the lid. As you can see in the photo with the lid upside-down, the black button part is removable with a small flat-head screw driver, but doing so will probably weaken the prongs which will eventually break.

How the F203's oval deep lid just slid in without any complicated mechanism is simple and great. Had they done a similar design with this GX4100, I would have given it a 5 star.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on December 14, 2015
I never would have expected such a poorly designed and executed product like this from krupps. The top lid is awkward and sticks. When you finally get it open coffee goes everywhere every time. I bought this for my architecture office and everyone hates it. The older Braun grinder blows this one out of the water. In short buy anything else.
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2016
The motor and blade function as they should but the aerodynamics inside are all wrong for small amounts. When I tried to “grind” a teaspoon of coriander seeds, the machine almost instantly did 80% of the cracking, but then the rapidly spinning blade formed an air barrier that pushed the seeds and particles up and floated them above the blade rather than allowing the blade to continue to “grind” it. From that point forward, even pulsing was not very effective since the blade quickly spun up and floated the particles above it. Maybe if I was grinding more at one time it would be more effective, but spices are usually ground as needed and not much is needed each time.

As a coffee grinder I might be able to recommend it, but I don’t drink coffee so I haven’t tried it. Sorry. I tried grinding coffee with my old, small KRUPS years ago and it was quite effective, but I discovered that the oils in the coffee beans are difficult to completely remove so it’s best to have separate grinders for coffee and spice. For the spice grinder, I highly recommend going with the smaller KRUPS. I will be getting rid of this one in favor of the small version of this grinder.
on March 18, 2013
I've had this style of coffee grinder for many years. This one is a major step backwards. Two problems stand out. First, the interlock on the lid takes a lot of fiddling to get into place. It has a very narrow tolerance and there are no marks indicating the 'sweet spot' where the lid will engage. Second, the larger bowl makes pouring the ground coffee out much more messy. Coffee grounds all over the counter many days.

I'm going back to my old one.
on December 24, 2014
Not good for coffee. This grinds to extremely fine or 90% extremely find and 10% almost un-ground whole bean, that is, to get everything ground it has to be ground extremely fine there is no way around this This of course makes the coffee so fine it sticks and cakes up, so you need a spoon and brush to get out all the fine, caked coffee on the inside of the grinder. This also contributes to more work and more mess. I would NOT recommend this for coffee!
on March 27, 2017
I purchased this grinder in 2012 after an older Braun snapped a blade, and I've had no problems with it in that time, with almost-daily use. I align the lid, grind my coffee (rarely more than a quarter cup), turn it over and give it a solid whack on the counter to dislodge anything loose, then unseat the lid and use it as a cup to deposit the grounds in to my coffee filter. I've seriously done this over a thousand times with this grinder, and while I can't vouch for it's reliability in to the next 4 years, it's been a pretty solid unit for the last 4, and I have no hesitation recommending it.
on July 15, 2017
This model grinds perfectly fine. HOWEVER, the lid does not extend very far into the grinder. Consequently, when you open it to remove the coffee the grounds spill onto the counter. It is also difficult to grind a second batch because the grounds that got into the crevices around the top of the grinder make it difficult to re -seat the lid. The large round shape also makes it somewhat difficult to poor the grounds into a container without spilling them.
I've owned several of the Krups F203 blade grinders and recommend you buy that model instead as it eliminates all the design issues mentioned above. The lid extends deeply into the grinder which eliminates spillover and the oval shape lets you pour the coffee out without spilling. We've owned several different Krups products that I would generally rate as 5 Star, but I'm very disappointed the GX4100 model.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 7, 2008
I've been grinding my own coffee beans since the early eighties and since then I've owned a few different grinders, including the Krups Fast Touch and a similarly priced model made by Braun. I also own a burr grinder, which is good when I want to grind enough beans to last a few days or a week. The Krups GX4100 is by far my favorite. It's quiet, the lid locks on during grinding, it grinds fast, it feels powerful, I like the high tech look, and ground coffee seems to stick to the inside of the lid and the grinder far less than with cheaper grinders. It is necessary for me to carefully brush the ground coffee from the lid and grinder into a coffee filter, but for me this is part of the ritual of preparing a nice cup of coffee from freshly ground beans. I'm glad I purchased this grinder.

Update 2/20/10: I've used this grinder daily (except when traveling) since getting it a little over 2 years ago, and it continues to run perfectly. I typically use it twice a day. By now I know exactly how many seconds to grind beans for drip, espresso, and French press coffee, and the results are perfect every time. So glad I have this powerful, "industrial strength" grinder.

Update 411/15: I bought this in 2007 and the motor continues to run like new, but because the blade has gotten dull over the years it takes longer to grind beans, though this is only a matter of seconds depending on the kind of grind I want. I researched replacing the blade and apparently there's no way to do that without sending the unit out, and after paying for shipping, labor, and a replacement blade, it would probably cost more than a new grinder of the same model. I could not find any place to buy a replacement blade online, and I'm not sure I could get this grinder apart and back together without damaging it (it seems designed in such a way that a special tool may be required to get it apart). I've read that grinding some rice can sharpen the blades and I've tried that, but with no noticeable difference. I continue to use it, and I'm considering buying a new one (same model). For the last six months or so I've also used a Hario hand grinder as well as an old Mister Coffee burr grinder, and those are great, but I keep coming back to this. The hand grinder takes a long time and I honestly do not taste any difference whatsoever in my coffee when I use it. The burr grinder is convenient (I don't taste any difference with that either), but unless I only grind enough for a cup at a time, some ground coffee sits in the container and I prefer to just grind enough beans at a time for the coffee I'm about to make. (I don't have a good empirical reason for having that preference; it's just how I like to do my coffee ritual.) And this type of grinder is perfect for that.

Based on my experience with this model grinder from 2007 to the present (2015), I still give it my highest recommendation (and as I said, I'm considering buying a new one, mainly so I can have one with a new blade).

Some "coffee snobs" (a term I use humorously rather than pejoratively) insist that this type of grinder "burns" the beans as it grinds them, unless you gently pulse the grinder as you use it. That may be true but I don't taste it and I don't bother to pulse the grinder.
33 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2016
Good solid unit, quality construction. Been using this for a couple months now, does what it's supposed to do admirably well. I'm of two minds about the safety feature of the lid though... most times when I'm grinding my coffee I'm half asleep... in which state I'm more apt to chop off my fingers, so I appreciate the feature that requires the lid to be "locked" into place before it will activate. However, the placement of the lid onto the body slightly off center so that I can then rotate it into place and lock it requires a small bit of dexterity that I have struggled with slightly in such a state. It's not difficult by any means, just kinda precise. I like the clear lid which allows you to view the grind, but also find that the lid is smaller than my previous unit... I was used to turning the whole thing upside down and using the lid to transfer the ground beans to my french press.... on this unit the bowl in the unit is larger than the lid, so my first attempt at doing it that way ended up with quite a mess. I have to pour directly from the grinder into my press,... a slight hassle as I leave the unit plugged in and the cord is a hindrance to movement.