Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 20, 2014
Personally, I don't shoot with small flashes often (I usually need more light, hence more power, hence bigger lights and use pocket wizards to trigger them). But when I do use speedlites, I naturally DON'T want an on-camera flash and I DON'T want to be limited to one. I set up several small flashes with various diffusions on light stands at different angles/directions to the subject. So how to trigger them all?

Unfortunately, Canon is inferior to Nikon in this area that you cannot fire your speedlites wirelessly using your camera. And if you have different speedlites (especially if they're older) all that master-and-slave thing doesn't work too well (since some are optical and some are radio and all those frustrating details). And the original Canon-brand transmitter costs several hundred dollars. Money I didn't want to invest in a gadget I wouldn't be using on a daily basis.

One of my photography professors suggested this Yongnuo brand to me. He has been using them for years and without a problem (Quote: "The only time they don't fire is when the battery is dead". Oh and that's another PLUS point: they use very normal batteries ((the receivers are AAA for example))), so you can get those at every store and you won't go broke trying to buy some specialized battery). I've been using them for several months (I bought two sets, hence being able to trigger a total of 4 external flashes) and they really do work perfectly. And operating is easy-peasy too. You just switch them on and switch them all onto the same channel.

I would highly recommend them, as they are far cheaper and work so well. AND they're TTL compatible, which was important to me.

The ONLY point of criticism I have is that there is no locking mechanism at the back of the Receivers and the lock-switch attached to the Canon speedlites don't really work with them. The speedlites don't sit all that loose on the receivers, but it's NOT locked on them tight (for some reason, it's not as tight as if you would use your speedlite's flash foot or lock it onto the hotshoe of your camera). Hence, be sure to tilt the multi-clamp on which the receiver with flash is sitting on slightly to the front, so that the speedlite won't fall backwards and off the receiver. (And naturally do not have anybody run over the light stand as that may knock the flash down). But if you factor that little thing, I think you will be very happy with this purchase.
on February 11, 2014
I've never had a radio trigger system, and there are plenty out there. I purchased this system based on a few training videos and after watching a Creative Live webinar where the instructor sells a rebranded version of these for around 8 times the price, I figure if he has that much confidence to charge that much, maybe I'll take a chance. Plus they're also featured on Phil Steele's training video (Google Phil Steele and Steele Training). I haven't been disappointing yet. They fire every time. A lot of people will want to see how far away they can get from the receiver before the transmitter won't trip the receiver. The reality of it is that you'll never be that far away.so that's a non issue. I would have liked to see a focus assist beam and a pc connection but those features are reserved for a higher price point. Totally satisfied and hard to beat for the money. Take all the negative about the battery for the transmitter being the CR2 type... (big deal, so what) and the light weight build and throw it out the window. these aren't meant to compete with the super high endy TTL triggers. They are totally manual so don't expect TTL capabilities. For less than fifty bucks from Gadget Zone, you get the transmitter and two recievers. This is a bargain when compared to more expensive non TTL Pocket Wizard units and definitely less expesnsive than TTL units.
If you're looking for a reliable inexpensive way to trigger off camera flash, (non ttl) get these, you'll be glad you did.
on July 19, 2015
Very good for the price. I've dropped them a few times from the standing position and they continue to work, even with the battery doors missing.
on March 15, 2014
These have made my lighting so much easier. Works great and doesn't cost a ton of money. Expandable, which is handy if you have a bunch of lights to trigger.
on January 13, 2014
I own the owner of [...] and I purchased these triggers to use in product Photography shoots (the bread and butter of our business). I am very impressed with the quality of this product and would highly recommend it to others.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.